Leaning on Him
May 28, 2004
Visit site
✟3,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, many times I don't make an effort to memorize Scripture, but I find that God will often bring to my remembrance Scriptures as I need them.

Another tool that my husband, children, and myself love are the Scripture Memory Songs by Integrity Music. They are GREAT!!! And ase also a fun way for us to memorize Scripture as a family. Many times we just leave them playing as we sleep through the night.

Here is a link if you are interested.
http://store.integritymusic.com/dept.asp?deptid=9

Upvote 0

tesnusxenos

Apr 17, 2004
Tesnus, Texas
Visit site
✟15,396.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
For me memory work needs the disipline of doing it each day at the end of my scripture reading time (I spend about five minutes). I like to memorize whatever chapter the Lord puts on my mind. I just finished Isaiah 55 and am working on Romans 12. As I add verses I think about what they mean to me and try to say them with the emotion that those thoughts stir in me. I do use things like litterations to help me memorize (such as in Isaiah 55 I use the "s" in "splendor" in the line "for he has endowed you with splendor" to help me remember that the next line starts with "s" ,"Seek the Lord while he may be found") I also pay attention to couplets and how the reverse them selves (thoughts, ways, ways, thoughts)
I hope this helps:)

Upvote 0

Joe Orwell Fuss

Truth seeker
Jun 12, 2004
Yuma, Arizona
✟349.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Repetition is the best teacher. Repetition is the best teacher. Repetition is the best teacher.

Using the same verses over and over again help, trust me. Writing them on notecards and placing them around the house can help as well. Put one on your bathroom mirror and read it while you brush your teeth in the morning and night. It works!

Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Joe . . .

I bought a set of Bible verse memory cards at a yard sale. I'm still on the first one! But that's all right as the Lord has imprinted the important stuff on my brain. I might not have it word for word but the idea is there and I can finish almost any quote! :)

I bought a set of Bible verse (oops) I forgot that I had already written that! :D

Upvote 0

Joe Orwell Fuss

Truth seeker
Jun 12, 2004
Yuma, Arizona
✟349.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
You know, I've found that you sometimes don't need to know the verse word for word. The important thing is that you can remember most of it, and where it is. It's important to be able to find the verse so people don't think you're pulling verses out of thin air.

Keep up the good work newlamb! :D

:clap:

Reactions: BarbB
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
Joe Orwell Fuss said:
You know, I've found that you sometimes don't need to know the verse word for word. The important thing is that you can remember most of it, and where it is. It's important to be able to find the verse so people don't think you're pulling verses out of thin air.

Keep up the good work newlamb! :D

:clap:

Thanks! :blush: Aren't you an encouraging sweetie! :hug:

I used to do that when studying in school also - didn't necessarily know the exact wording, but knew where I could find it!

Upvote 0

Kalypso

Jul 2, 2004
SoCal
✟146.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I have found that the more you discuss things and say them- the more you remember. Share your faith more. Meditate on the word more. It is kinda like a foreign language- once you are out of practice of speaking it you tend to forget it quickly. So just stay in the habit.

When you are sharing your faith- don't worry about stumbling over bible verses but just have confidence that God will speak through you. You might end up saying something you didn't know you remembered. If you go out with a friend to share Christ- listen to others a lot. They might say something that helps you remember the verse. And even if you don't remember exactly which verse it is then- you can get away with saying something like "In Ephesians, it says......" and summarize what it says if you can't remember word for word. The more time you spend in God's word, the more it will just become part of your vocabulary and flow off your tongue naturally.

Upvote 0

tesnusxenos

Apr 17, 2004
Tesnus, Texas
Visit site
✟15,396.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Memorizing scripture is good for more then just evangelizing! Often people think of the verse " I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you", as knowing the rules so that you don't break them . For me it goes deeper when I find my self dwelling on things I shouldn't be (usually worrying, but sometimes listing a record of wrongs in my internal dialog) I can switch and go over the chapters of scripture that I know in my mind ( an impromptu review session). This is the easiest way I know of really controlling the inner dialog. It reminds me of the story about the demons who return and find the house swept clean so bring their friends. We need to fill that empty space with the something good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums