• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Memories of the 1960s

Discussion in 'Pentecostal & Assemblies of God' started by quietbloke, Aug 22, 2019.

1. quietbloke

quietbloke Brother in Christ Supporter

+33,490
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    In 1960 I was 9 years old and I lived my teenage years in the late 60's. In 1962 I started at senior school and went on a family exchange visit to Germany. I went to stay with a German boy and his family and enjoyed living with his family for 3 weeks. The country was beautiful and I enjoyed going to school with him and the local youth club. He came over to England to stay with my family. What memories do you have of the 1960s?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Dave G.

Dave G. Well-Known Member

+2,848
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    All the money on earth wouldn't be enough to make me want to relive that era. It's really good that God promises He forgets out pasts even if we don't.

3. quietbloke

+33,490
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    It was in April 1965 that I publicly confessed my faith in the Lord Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord! It happened at a Truth for Youth event at the AoG Pentecostal Church I'm Hemel Hempstead. Terry Dene the popsinger was testifying of his new found faith in Christ. Evangelist Dennis Robson preached the gospel to which I responded. O,what a wonderful transformation began to take place.'If any one is in Christ,he is s new creation',the Bible says.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Danthemailman

Danthemailman Well-Known Member

+1,027
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I remember learning to use the big boy potty in 1969. :D

I have a 2nd cousin who attended Woodstock back in 1969 (with her sister) and every time I run into her at either a wedding or funeral, all she can talk about is Woodstock. Sometimes I think she never quite made it home from Woodstock.

5. quietbloke

+33,490
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    I remember the Rolling Stones,the Beatles and Bob Dylan. I started enjoying the Sixty's Christian Music too!

6. Danthemailman

Danthemailman Well-Known Member

+1,027
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I've had conversations with men in the USA (who were teenagers in the 60's during the British invasion) who said that most men did not really warm up to the Beatles (at first, but the women sure did!) and most men preferred the Rolling Stones over the Beatles (again at first). But by the later 60's when the Beatles went from songs like, "I want to hold your hand" to "strawberry fields forever" then most men really warmed up to the Beatles.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Dave G.

+2,848
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Hermans Hermits, Elvis, The Beach boys, Dave Clark 5, Everly Brothers, The guys that did woolly bully. The Joy To The World guys, all the boys and girls, to the fishes in the deep blue sea etc. etc.. I always thought the Stones were pigs, even though I was myself lol !!!

8. Dave G.

+2,848
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    That happened for me starting in 1979 right here in this house, 40 years ago this summer. Nothing was ever the same since, still changing, growing, filling !

9. Anthony2019

Anthony2019 "Only Me!" Supporter

+2,862
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Single
    I hadn't yet been conceived in the 60's and I don't think my birth parents had yet met! :) When we get to the 1970's I might be able to remember something!

10. Pilgrim Making Progress

Pilgrim Making Progress New Member Supporter

+18
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Tavistock institute reportedly used the Beatles to move society away from a family friendly to a more counterculture and drug culture. Yes they had musical genious....I've seen Paul and Ringo.... can't say there is much spiritually redemptive in their music.

11. quietbloke

+33,490
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    The Berlin Wall was built in 1961 and we saw it when we went to Germany. President John F Kennedy was assassinated in 1963. Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin were the first men from earth on the moon.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. quietbloke

+33,490
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    It was in 1966 that Dr Billy Graham came again to Earls Court London and Wembley stadium. It was a privilege to be there and see thousands turn to Christ!

13. quietbloke

+33,490
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    For me the 1960s was a time of great change. How was it for you?

14. quietbloke

+33,490
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    I will always remember that precious day when I said yes to Jesus and the way He caused me to grow in the faith. I want to keep on growing!

15. quietbloke

+33,490
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    The 60s were real growing years physically and spiritually as a new convert. How were they for you?

16. quietbloke

+33,490
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    It is true that we 'cannot live in the past',but we can remember with gratitude the way God has led us!