Willmar
✟16,669.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone here meditate? I have been looking into it and it seems like it could be helpful but much of it is based on Buddha.. What if one were to follow the same meditating techniques such as mindful meditation but instead of mindful meditating on buddha I were to sit and focus on my breaths and breath as if I were sitting with the Lord?

Aabbie James

Maintain love and truth in perfect balance
Jul 15, 2019
West Coast
✟37,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Psalm 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

There are several Bible verses about meditating on Gods Word...

Welcome to the forum.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone here meditate? I have been looking into it and it seems like it could be helpful but much of it is based on Buddha.. What if one were to follow the same meditating techniques such as mindful meditation but instead of mindful meditating on buddha I were to sit and focus on my breaths and breath as if I were sitting with the Lord?
I recall a breathing technique where you breathe in Yud, breathe out Hay, then breathe in Vud, then breathe out Hay. (YHWH) It's pretty intense.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I find in terms of a point of focus, breathing is good .. you need to breathe, but focusing on the heart beat, blood flow, keeps me grounded. Going into a trance (from breathing meditation) kind of leaves you open.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It's a little different approach. With Buddha or eastern mediation you empty your mind. This brings a sense of peace but an empty space to be filled. With Christian meditation we want to fill it. In eastern you want to clear out your soul, with Christ fill it with Him. Jesus fills us with His peace and it leaves no room for Satan or his minions, with Buddha you leave an empty space for demons to occupy. Just a thought.

So be careful, especially if you're a new Christian..

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The only form of meditation that is acceptable to the Lord is one that is not repetitive. That pretty much knocks out all forms of Eastern meditation. So that being said, what does meditate mean in scripture? It means to "think" about your God day in and day out. Walk in His Holy Spirit so that you do not fall prey to the flesh.
Blessings

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aabbie James

Maintain love and truth in perfect balance
Jul 15, 2019
West Coast
✟37,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Meditation is pondering the Word in our hearts, preaching it to our own souls, and personally applying it to our own lives and circumstances. Pauls tells us in Romans 12 it is how we sanctify our thinking and bring it into submission to Christ by taking every thought captive.

Romans 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

Joshua 1:8 This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success.

• Agree
Reactions: Bcs90
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

The kind of meditation from other religious traditions, such as from the Dharmic traditions (e.g. Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism, etc) is frowned upon, as there's no reason as Christians to introduce the practices of other religious traditions into our practice.

If by meditation you aren't talking about anything religious or spiritual in nature, but something more mundane and therapeutic--like sitting quietly, taking deep breaths, that sort of thing--then there's certainly nothing problematic there.

But it sounds like what you are looking for is more spiritual in nature, in which case there is plenty of that already within Christianity. It might not be terrible to ask our resident Eastern Orthodox posters about the Orthodox practice of hesychasm, there's a board specifically for asking questions to be answered by Eastern Orthodox members, (link here).

But that might be kind of a major plunge, especially if you are a new Christian and not familiar with different branches of the Christian faith.

You may instead find it more beneficial to look into something like praying the Hours. Christianity, like Judaism before it, has a tradition of marking the daily hours with prayer. Combining praying the Hours with reading and meditating upon the daily readings of Scripture from something like the Breviary or Daily Office can be very helpful in cultivating and facilitating a practice of regular prayer and meditation, as one turns their mind and heart toward the Lord.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The only form of meditation that is acceptable to the Lord is one that is not repetitive. That pretty much knocks out all forms of Eastern meditation. So that being said, what does meditate mean in scripture? It means to "think" about your God day in and day out. Walk in His Holy Spirit so that you do not fall prey to the flesh.
Blessings

Repetition isn't problematic, it's vain repetition that is specifically criticized. Repetition itself can be very helpful and meaningful, such as with saying the Jesus Prayer.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Repetition isn't problematic, it's vain repetition that is specifically criticized. Repetition itself can be very helpful and meaningful, such as with saying the Jesus Prayer.
Indeed. the gospels tell us that our Lord was in the habit of being in the Synagogue on the sabbath. The prayers and liturgy are very repetitive; and if He were opposed to repetition in and of itself, He would never have gone there, much less participated.

Luke 4:16
And He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up; and as was His custom, He entered the synagogue on the Sabbath, and stood up to read.

Upvote 0

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We meditate for Health. We meditate to relax and for the healthy benefits thereof. In meditation we seek self-awareness we seek to clear our minds and focus on personal Improvement and the social Improvement up those around. We can use meditation to purge our thoughts of unhealthy ideas, unhealthy habits and self-destructive Behavior. Meditation can be very useful but it is not a Panacea nor is it beneficial if it reinforces self-defeating Behavior.

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums