McConnell warns corporations to stop exercising their free speech rights, or else

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell warned big businesses they would face "serious consequences" after accusing them of employing "economic blackmail" in attempts to influence voting laws as the backlash over Georgia's elections law that imposes voting restrictions intensifies.

At an event in his home state Monday, McConnell said he "found it completely discouraging to find a bunch of corporate CEOs getting in the middle of politics."

"My advice to the corporate CEOs of America is to stay out of politics," he added.

McConnell's statement comes after he has previously supported businesses involvement in politics, including backing the US Supreme Court's 2010 decision in the Citizens United case, which allowed big businesses more power to spend freely in federal elections. In 2014, he spoke out against Democrats' attempts to allow Congress to set limits on corporate campaign spending in federal elections, calling it a threat to basic speech rights.

For a long time, the GOP has supported the idea that money is free speech, particularly when it meant corporations dropping large sacks of free speech into GOP coffers and superPACs to promote conservative candidates and laws. Suddenly there is great uproar about corporations spending (and not spending) their free speech in ways the GOP doesn't like. Boo. Hoo.

I didn't see the "or else" in the article.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"they would face 'serious consequences'"

I see where the journalist takes parts of quotes and applies them at will at the beginning:

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell warned big businesses they would face "serious consequences" after accusing them of employing "economic blackmail" in attempts to influence voting laws as the backlash over Georgia's elections law that imposes voting restrictions intensifies.

But McConnell's actual quote follows the journalist's own take on what he actually said:

"Corporations will invite serious consequences if they become a vehicle for far-left mobs to hijack our country from outside the constitutional order."

And so they should.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
But McConnell's actual quote follows the journalist's own take on what he actually said:

"Corporations will invite serious consequences if they become a vehicle for far-left mobs to hijack our country from outside the constitutional order."

And so they should.

McConnell specifically references the Georgia election law, something publicly opposed by many companies.

(and I don't think the opposition to the Georgia law can be said to be "a far-left mob")

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟194,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
All these CEOs are idiots. They may know how to run a business, but in this particular case they are just patently stupid. They are probably just a bunch of leftists who have no clue. This law doesn't do one thing to prevent or stop people from voting. Not one.

It does a great deal to discourage it, and make it harder.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,382.00
Faith
Pentecostal
McConnell specifically references the Georgia election law, something publicly opposed by many companies.

(and I don't think the opposition to the Georgia law can be said to be "a far-left mob")

Yes he does, but there is no indication that he's going to do anything about the companies wokeness from a government stand point. I think is complaint is quite hypocritical. But the broader point of consequences is valid. We are seeing more and more companies being threatened with consequences from the public for having unpopular views. The left has been after companies for sometime now and have campaigns targeting companies and in this case targeting a state. Deliberately trying to financially harm anyone that doesn't buy into the culture they want.
Its time conservatives begin to take note and apply the same tactics.

I myself have contacted a number if companies letting them know I no longer will purchase their products. And I haven't.

I would like to see conservatives out greater pressure just like the left has done.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,465.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Yes he does, but there is no indication that he's going to do anything about the companies wokeness from a government stand point. I think is complaint is quite hypocritical. But the broader point of consequences is valid. We are seeing more and more companies being threatened with consequences from the public for having unpopular views. The left has been after companies for sometime now and have campaigns targeting companies and in this case targeting a state. Deliberately trying to financially harm anyone that doesn't buy into the culture they want.
Its time conservatives begin to take note and apply the same tactics.

I myself have contacted a number if companies letting them know I no longer will purchase their products. And I haven't.

I would like to see conservatives out greater pressure just like the left has done.

You mean the same tactics they have been using for decades? You do know conservatives have a long history of boycotts?

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In 2006, the Republican Party led bipartisan support for legislation to extend the Voting Rights Act. And yes, those who objected were the same folks as since 1948, the Southerners who opposed rights for black Americans. In 1948, they were Democrats. After the 1964 Civil Rights Act, they became Republicans. In 2006, they were the radical right in the House. The views of this political group now appeal to many more Republicans under the leadership of Trump.
============
In 2006, the corporations spoke out and supported voting rights. They are doing so again.
============
BTW, I find amusing to think of MLB baseball executives as wild-eyed leftists.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,382.00
Faith
Pentecostal
In 2006, the Republican Party led bipartisan support for legislation to extend the Voting Rights Act. And yes, those who objected were the same folks as since 1948, the Southerners who opposed rights for black Americans. In 1948, they were Democrats. After the 1964 Civil Rights Act, they became Republicans. In 2006, they were the radical right in the House. The views of this political group now appeal to many more Republicans under the leadership of Trump.
============
In 2006, the corporations spoke out and supported voting rights. They are doing so again.
============
BTW, I find amusing to think of MLB baseball executives as wild-eyed leftists.

The difference is no one's voting rights are being taken away. No one is prohibited from voting. Everyone can vote, absentee or when the vote is officially open. This is nothing but a bunch of leftist hype and false accusations and flat out lies from the leftist community. Propaganda is alive and well and it's disgusting to see so many taken in by it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,382.00
Faith
Pentecostal
You mean the same tactics they have been using for decades? You do know conservatives have a long history of boycotts?

It's the left that has been boycotting and canceling companies for decades. They are teaching us how it's done. It's time we start fighting back.

• Agree
Reactions: Aldebaran
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,465.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
It's the left that has been boycotting and canceling companies for decades. They are teaching us how it's done. It's time we start fighting back.

OK. You have fun using the same tactic both sides have been using for decades. Maybe now it will actually register when it happens.

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
4_darkow.jpg

- Mitch McConnell, Republican Senate Leader

1) January 6th - a "far-right mob" summoned to Washington by a Republican President were directed to Capitol Hill after a Trump Rally - with the expressed intention of preventing a joint session of Congress from fulfilling its constitutional role of certifying the vote from the 2020 Election

2) a Republican President phoned the Georgia Secretary of State, in an attempt to subvert the outcome of 2020 Election, by demanding that he find the 11,780 votes required to defeat his opponent

3) in an attempt to override the results of the 2020 Election, congressional Republicans voted not to certify the vote, attempting to shift the authority of choosing the next President back to the state legislatures - where the Republicans held a numerical advantage

4) despite public denials from both President Trump's own appointed Attorney General and FBI Director that there was no evidence of voter fraud on the scale that would have influenced the outcome, Republican continue to promote "THE BIG LIE"

5) Republicans in 46 states have introduced over 250 pieces of legislation with the intention of suppressing the constitutional rights of Americans to vote - based on "THE BIG LIE" whose very
existence they were unable to establish in their 50 court cases challenging to the outcome of the 2020 Election

6) it is only when America's business community, that bastion of "closet liberals," dares to express an opinion that runs counter to the Republican "party line," that Senator McConnell finally decides to take an interest in attempts "to hijack our country from outside the constitutional order" by issuing "veiled threats" to silence the critics!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It is somewhat strange, and somewhat fun, to see the Trumpers calling these top corporations leftist.
For so many years, almost all large corporations were presumed to be strong supporters of the Republican Party.

Yes, and the government Left used to demonize big corporations as being greedy and being the reason poor people are poor. Now these same corporations have become tools of the Left to do what government cannot. Government can't silence people, but Facebook and Twitter can. Government can't tell white people to be less white, but Coca Cola can.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, and the government Left used to demonize big corporations as being greedy and being the reason poor people are poor. Now these same corporations have become tools of the Left to do what government cannot. Government can't silence people, but Facebook and Twitter can. Government can't tell white people to be less white, but Coca Cola can.

Trump has gotten exactly what he and his party deserve. Corporations led the battle to defeat Trump. Now, they will lead the battle for voting rights.

In 2022 and in 2024 Trump will have the fight that he seems to want, with the largest corporations standing against him.

What you seem not to understand is that the corporations are not the tools of political parties. They control much too much of the economy for that to be the case. Political parties NEED the corporations and their very large donations. Trump seems to think that Republicans no longer need this support.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Trump has gotten exactly what he and his party deserve. Corporations led the battle to defeat Trump. Now, they will lead the battle for voting rights.

In 2022 and in 2024 Trump will have the fight that he seems to want, with the largest corporations standing against him.

Not long ago, a democrat singing the praises of large corporations was about as rare as can be. I guess big money from big business is welcome in whatever direction it's flowing.

What you seem not to understand is that the corporations are not the tools of political parties. They control much too much of the economy for that to be the case. Political parties NEED the corporations and their very large donations. Trump seems to think that Republicans no longer need this support.

As long as government regulates what corporations do, and can even regulate and tax them out of existence if they don't do what the political party in power dictates, they most certainly can be tools of the ruling party. And right now, the ruling party is the dems, and the big corporations are unsurprisingly taking a Left turn.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Not long ago, a democrat singing the praises of large corporations was about as rare as can be. I guess big money from big business is welcome in whatever direction it's flowing.

No, Democrats haven't openly supported corporations. That does NOT mean that corporation haven't supported Democrats. Obama had lots of support from banks and tech, as has Biden. Of course, the auto makers supported Obama.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0