McConnell warns corporations to stop exercising their free speech rights, or else

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Off the top of my head? Declare speech over the internet public speech regardless of whether or not it's a private platform and protected by the 1st amendment.

Then declare political speech protected from punishment by private entities.

Based on what legal reasoning?

Clearly you've forgotten (or have chosen to ignore) the fact that the First Amendment only protects speech from punishment by the government.

Private entities are protected by the first Amendment-- not restricted by it. The same can be said of all the Amendments.(The first 10 are called "The Bill of Rights" for a reason, don't you know...)

Try again. Try harder.

ETA: You've also forgotten (or have also chosen to ignore) that these corporations are responding to political actions by the government, not by private citizens.

Basically, you want to punish corporations for responding negatively to the government's actions.

Try much harder.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Based on what legal reasoning?

The distinguishing between public and private speech.

Clearly you've forgotten (or have chosen to ignore) the fact that the First Amendment only protects speech from punishment by the government.

Clearly you forgot that you already provided a link which included limitations on the types of speech your employer cannot legally punish you for as an employee.

Did you forget about that? Yes? No?

Those limitations can be changed to protect free speech of the individual without encroaching upon the free speech of the business.

We could, for example, still allow the company to punish or fire employees for speech made on the job or within the grounds of the private property of the business....while protecting the free speech of the individual made in the public domain by including the internet as part of that public domain.

I appreciate you providing evidence that it's entirely legal to limit the ability of businesses to punish employees for certain types of speech. If you honestly forgot....I can link you to your own post and link and quote it for you.

It seems like you want to pretend that it's impossible despite already providing evidence that it's completely possible.

Again, this seems like an indication that you don't really understand the concepts you're talking about.....you just advocate because it's what you're "party" advocates or even because it's the opposite of what the other party advocates.

So again.....please provide an example of an issue that you split from the left on.

If 3 examples is too much....how about just 2? Can you give me just two examples to show that you think for yourself?

It's a reasonable request. There's no need to discuss any political issues with you if I already know your position and that you don't hold it because of logic, reason, or rational thinking. If you don't split with the left (or right) on any issue you basically let others do the thinking for you.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The distinguishing between public and private speech.

Which is irrelevant. Speech on social media is, by definition, public.

Clearly you forgot that you already provided a link which included limitations on the types of speech your employer cannot legally punish you for as an employee.

Did you forget about that? Yes? No?

I have acknowledged that 1.) the First Amendment is not absolute and 2.) that employees can be legally fired for words and deeds which cost their employers revenue.

These are simple concepts, well within the average poster's ability to comprehend.

Those limitations can be changed to protect free speech of the individual without encroaching upon the free speech of the business.

Which has nothing whatsoever to do with the OP.

You're not even trying.

Again, this seems like an indication that--

--you're looking for a way out by making this about me.

Very well. *ahem* "You have humbled me with your superior independent thought. I am nothing more than a mindless drone of my political party, and it would be a waste of your incredibly precious time to attempt to elevate me to your level."

...there. Now you can leave this discussion and still save face. :wave:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
EzlItx2VoAQZvNh

Ezion8dVUAQff1c

I can't wait for the new GOP to extend its big tent all the way from disaffected blue-collar white evangelicals to disgruntled blue-collar white evangelicals.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
EzlItx2VoAQZvNh

Ezion8dVUAQff1c

I can't wait for the new GOP to extend its big tent all the way from disaffected blue-collar white evangelicals to disgruntled blue-collar white evangelicals.

Kind of makes you wonder how many blue collar members they'll still have when all their bosses are being boycotted.

Upvote 0