Mattis: Donald is a Threat to the Constitution.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
James Mattis Denounces President Trump, Describes Him as a Threat to the Constitution

James Mattis, the esteemed Marine general who resigned as secretary of defense in December 2018 to protest Donald Trump’s Syria policy, has, ever since, kept studiously silent about Trump’s performance as president. But he has now broken his silence, writing an extraordinary broadside in which he denounces the president for dividing the nation, and accuses him of ordering the U.S. military to violate the constitutional rights of American citizens.

“I have watched this week’s unfolding events, angry and appalled,” Mattis writes. “The words ‘Equal Justice Under Law’ are carved in the pediment of the United States Supreme Court. This is precisely what protesters are rightly demanding. It is a wholesome and unifying demand—one that all of us should be able to get behind. We must not be distracted by a small number of lawbreakers. The protests are defined by tens of thousands of people of conscience who are insisting that we live up to our values—our values as people and our values as a nation.” He goes on, “We must reject and hold accountable those in office who would make a mockery of our Constitution.”

A stinging rebuke which will unfortunately fall on deaf ears.

Thoughts?

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people—does not even pretend to try. Instead, he tries to divide us. We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership.
Attorney General Barr should investigate this deep state partisan.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I was just going to post a link to the same article.

He goes on to contrast the American ethos of unity with Nazi ideology. “Instructions given by the military departments to our troops before the Normandy invasion reminded soldiers that ‘The Nazi slogan for destroying us … was “Divide and Conquer.” Our American answer is “In Union there is Strength.”’ We must summon that unity to surmount this crisis—confident that we are better than our politics.”

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Trump now claiming he invented the nickname ‘Mad Dog’ for Mattis. This is of course a complete lie.

He just can't help himself, can he?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh, so Trump nominated him for Secretary of Defense because he is not respected?
Gen. Mattis even held back on criticism of Trump after leaving though he had disagreements with Trump's decisions. Until now, that is, when he saw what happened the other night.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I absolutely love this line:

James Mattis, the esteemed Marine general...

How to become esteemed in one article or less...… too funny!

We was esteemed enough to be the Secretary of Defense... or are you required to forget that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Oh, so Trump nominated him for Secretary of Defense because he is not respected?
Gen. Mattis even held back on criticism of Trump after leaving though he had disagreements with Trump's decisions. Until now, that is, when he saw what happened the other night.

Mattis has enough military discipline to not openly criticize the Commander in Chief under normal circumstances.

This, however, is not normal -- every man has his limits.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
LOL -- essentially saying the General can't believe his own eyes. It's the same old lame narrative- the media is out to get us...the actions of our President are so unfair.....oops.
Or it is a 'who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes" comment like Groucho used when caught lying.

• Agree
Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,788.00
Faith
Non-Denom
LOL -- essentially saying the General can't believe his own eyes. It's the same old lame narrative- the media is out to get us...the actions of our President are so unfair.....oops.
Because Trump talks about the military getting involved. So what? As Graham said they've been used before for these things with other Presidents. It's not that Mattis doesn't see things but as Graham encouraged him he needs to consider everything.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because Trump talks about the military getting involved. So what? As Graham said they've been used before for these things with other Presidents. It's not that Mattis doesn't see things but as Graham encouraged him he needs to consider everything.

...so, you don't understand the role of our active duty military.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
I absolutely love this line:

James Mattis, the esteemed Marine general...

How to become esteemed in one article or less...… too funny!
You know, it's been a while, but I recall there being a lot of respect shown towards Mattis by the media when he first came onboard, with a lot of attention towards his stellar record. It was predicted that he would have trouble and clash with the more chaotic Trump - which, well, he did - but in general, there's been little bad said about Mattis that I'm aware of.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
Senator Lindsey Graham basically tells General Mattis he needs to see the bigger picture and stop blaming everything on Trump.

Lindsey Graham fires back at Gen. Mattis: You're buying into an 'unfair' narrative

What I find funny is that, if Mattis supported Trump's actions, there would be at least five topics on this board alone propping him up. You guys love it when anyone in the military gives Trump even an ounce of praise, but when someone goes against him? Oh, he doesn't matter, who cares, et cetera...

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,788.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What I find funny is that, if Mattis supported Trump's actions, there would be at least five topics on this board alone propping him up. You guys love it when anyone in the military gives Trump even an ounce of praise, but when someone goes against him? Oh, he doesn't matter, who cares, et cetera...
I never said he didn't have a right for free speech. If people don't agree with him they don't agree with him and have a right to say so to without being told to be silent!

Upvote 0