✟163,116.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 5:19 is one[/QUOTE.
Hello Matthew 5:19, is a statement Jesus made for those who preach but not practice what they preach (referring to Pharisees and teacher of the Law)... in contrast to the One (referring to himself) who practice and teaches these commands. So is not a command to keep the law of Moses but a comparison between those of the law (Pharisees) and Jesus...

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,036.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Matthew 5:19, is a statement Jesus made for those who preach but not practice what they preach (referring to Pharisees and teacher of the Law)... in contrast to the One (referring to himself) who practice and teaches these commands. So is not a command to keep the law of Moses but a comparison between those of the law (Pharisees) and Jesus...

The entire context of that passage came from the Sermon of the Mount. By stating this, I believe you are also stating that the entire sermon is not for us at all?

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So you think that the Law of Moses is still binding on Christians today?
when did the Messiah or Apostles ever teach that the law of God was done away with and that we are free to be lawless?

Upvote 0

GospelS

A Daughter of Zion Seeking Her Father in Heaven!
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2017
She is The Land!
✟450,710.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One passage (Mat 5) says we have to keep the whole Law of Moses (down to the least pen stroke)

You keep the whole law by keeping the spirit of the law.
Matt 5:17-18, Jesus is talking of Himself that He will fulfill and accomplish all law down to the least pen stroke. The whole law was about Jesus for him to fulfill and accomplish and He knows it that no one but only He can keep the whole law down to the least pen stroke. For this purpose He came.
Matt 5:19-20, This is for anyone who is just after keeping the letter of the law but not its spirit/purpose of the law. Pharisees used to do so but true righteousness is to keep the spirit of the law. So to exceed them, keeping the spirit of the law is required to enter the kingdom of heaven.

(Acts 15) tells us that there are only a few commands from the Law of Moses that we as Gentiles must obey. Which of these passages are we to follow?

Acts 15:5-29, This is after the gift of Holy Spirit. God considers it righteous those who accept His son and who keep the spirit of the law. If you look at verses 8-10, since God did not show any distinction between Jews and gentiles, but also gave Holy Spirit to those gentile believers just as He did to the Jewish believers who kept the law, so the apostles did not wanted to burden gentile believers with the law that which God specially gave to Jews. Because the Holy Spirit in each believer takes care of what is required of them by spirit, so apostles were pretty much like "God already gave them Holy Spirit and saved them, so who are we to put burden on gentiles that neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear?"

Romans 2:25-29 For circumcision indeed is of value if you obey the law, but if you break the law, your circumcision becomes uncircumcision. So, if a man who is uncircumcised keeps the precepts of the law, will not his uncircumcision be regarded as circumcision? Then he who is physically uncircumcised but keeps the law will condemn you who have the written code and circumcision but break the law. For no one is a Jew who is merely one outwardly, nor is circumcision outward and physical. But a Jew is one inwardly, and circumcision is a matter of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter. His praise is not from man but from God.

Last edited:
Reactions: food4thought
Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yet at that point where Christ is being dismissed and Paul raised in His place is where I draw the line.

Ahhhh… that's what you meant. Yes, I can see what you mean. I struggle with relegating Jesus' teaching to His time on earth as well. The way I understand it right now, and as I said before I am still trying to sort this all out, is that Jesus' teachings are primarily directed at Jewish people under the Law, and that they will be reinstated in the Millennial Kingdom (perhaps for all people).

Perhaps Jesus was saying in Matthew 5:17-20 that the Law will stand forever as His holy standard of righteousness, and that those who teach the Law must not minimize any part of it. The Law stands today, not as something we do to earn our salvation, but as a tutor to bring us to our knees before God to receive Jesus' righteousness imputed to us by grace through faith. That is the overall point of Matthew 5:17-48, correct? Jesus goes beyond the external keeping of the letter of the Law, and reveals the true meaning of the Law... that it is the inward heart that the Law is aimed at.

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
when did the Messiah or Apostles ever teach that the law of God was done away with and that we are free to be lawless?

We are not lawless, we are under the Law of Christ (1 Corinthians 9:21), which I understand to be: love God, love neighbor, love the brethren. As for the entire Law of Moses being "done away with", I do not think it is abolished, I think it stands as our tutor to bring us to Christ. But we are not bound as Christians to keep it (Galatians 4:21-31; Acts 15:5-29; Romans 6-8). We are given the righteousness of God as a gift by grace thru faith in Jesus Christ (Romans 3:21-26). Now we do not live by keeping the Law, but by obeying the Holy Spirit (Romans 8)

Reactions: GospelS
Upvote 0

jerry kelso

Food For Thought
Mar 13, 2013
✟104,142.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The entire context of that passage came from the Sermon of the Mount. By stating this, I believe you are also stating that the entire sermon is not for us at all?

guojing,

1. The whole Bible is for us in the proper perspective.

2. Jesus was born of a woman made under the law Galatians 4:4 This was the law of Moses not the New Covenant.

3. The Jews were backslidden to God and their covenant as a nation and had lost their savor and were trodden under the feet of men. This could not be the New Covenant Church for that didn’t start til Calvary Matthew 26:28 and the gates of hell shall never prevail against the church Matthew 16:18.

4. Jesus was not giving them merely moral ethical laws because they didn’t know the law.
Law keepers had to do something to attain something. They had to perform the law to be blessed. They were backslidden so they were not doing those things.

5. They had to mourn which really means to repent Matthew 4:17.
They had had to meek to inherit the earth which was to be at the head of the nations promised through the Abrahamic covenant Genesis 12-15 and the Davidic Covenant which dealt with the Kingdom 2 Samuel 7:13-16; 1 Chronicles 28:1-8, Isaiah 2:2-4; 9:6-7 Ezekiel 37:16-28; Luke 1:32-33; 67-77.
They had to be the peacemakers but had 28 insurrections against Rome.
They were to be the light of the world and salt of the earth Matthew 5:13-14-16 etc.

6. Matthew 5:17 says, Jesus came to fulfill the law concerning his Messiahship.
V 18 not one jot or tittle would pass away or the law to fail until Christ fulfilled it.
Jews believe the law of Moses was not abolished because of verse 18 but this is not true. It would be if the context included prophecies that have not been fulfilled yet but this is not he case.

7. V 19 is about those who teach to brake the least of the commandments and not do the least of the commandments would be the least in the kingdom.
Whosoever shall do and teach them the same shall be called great in the Kingdom.
The leaders taught the people so they could control them and infest them with men’s traditions that were against the commandments of God Matthew 15:9.
Matthew 23:1-3: Then spake Jesus to the multitude and to his disciples; Saying, the scribes and Pharisees sit in Moses seat. All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe that observe and do, but do not ye after their works: for they say and do not.
These two scriptures fit v20 for the Scribes and Pharisees who were hypocritical Matthew 23:13-39.
Matthew 5:20 ye shall in no case enter into the KOH goes with Matthew 23:13; But woe unto you, Scribes and Pharisees, for ye shut up the KOH against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

8. Going back to v 19, what is the least of the commandments?
According to Matthew 23:23: Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and Cummings and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgement, mercy, and faith these ought ye to have done and not to leave the other undone
If the tithing part is the least of the commandments and the scribes and Pharisees will not enter the KOH then they could not be the least in the kingdom.
The great in the KOH could be those leaders like Zacharias who lived the law perfectly Luke 1:6
The least in the kingdom could be like Nicodemus that came to Jesus that broke and taught ignorantly may be the least in the kingdom. It’s a thought.

9. So the overall context is that the Sermon on the Mount was spoken to the Jews directly and never spoken to the church.
It was spoken and must be understood according to the law of Moses and the dispensational contexts before understanding what it really means to the Church age.

10. The Jews had to do something to attain something. They had to show mercy in order to obtain mercy and be blessed.
Today, we show mercy because of who we are in Christ and the power of the finished work of Christ. Jerry Kelso

Upvote 0

jerry kelso

Food For Thought
Mar 13, 2013
✟104,142.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
We are not lawless, we are under the Law of Christ (1 Corinthians 9:21), which I understand to be: love God, love neighbor, love the brethren. As for the entire Law of Moses being "done away with", I do not think it is abolished, I think it stands as our tutor to bring us to Christ. But we are not bound as Christians to keep it (Galatians 4:21-31; Acts 15:5-29; Romans 6-8). We are given the righteousness of God as a gift by grace thru faith in Jesus Christ (Romans 3:21-26). Now we do not live by keeping the Law, but by obeying the Holy Spirit (Romans 8)

foodforthought,

1. We are under the law of Christ 1 Corinthians 9:21.
Galatians 3:24,25.
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ that we might be justified by faith.
But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
Verse Before faith came we were kept under the law, talking about the Jews.

2. The Mosaic law system was abolished at Calvary 1 Corinthians 3:12-14. Vs. 15-17 shows the veil is still upon Israel today and will not be lifted till the end.
Jeremiah 31:31-34; Hebrews 8:6-12 show Israel is still blind and have the veil on their heart and have not entered into the New Covenant as a nation. This will happen in the time of Jacob’s trouble Matthew 24:21 and at the battle of the Armageddon when they shall mourn whom they had pierced when Christ comes back Revelation 1:7 and Matthew 24:31 where the angels gather the Jewish elect. Jerry Kelso

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ahhhh… that's what you meant. Yes, I can see what you mean. I struggle with relegating Jesus' teaching to His time on earth as well. The way I understand it right now, and as I said before I am still trying to sort this all out, is that Jesus' teachings are primarily directed at Jewish people under the Law, and that they will be reinstated in the Millennial Kingdom (perhaps for all people).

Perhaps Jesus was saying in Matthew 5:17-20 that the Law will stand forever as His holy standard of righteousness, and that those who teach the Law must not minimize any part of it. The Law stands today, not as something we do to earn our salvation, but as a tutor to bring us to our knees before God to receive Jesus' righteousness imputed to us by grace through faith. That is the overall point of Matthew 5:17-48, correct? Jesus goes beyond the external keeping of the letter of the Law, and reveals the true meaning of the Law... that it is the inward heart that the Law is aimed at.
What is the natural outflow from the old nature ? Divorce from God and a life of dead results. But the natural outflow from the second new nature is being dead to self and alive to God. Betrothed to be remarried is the theme of the new testament. Romans 6:6-23. What I hear you saying is that the divorce didn’t occur until the actual death of Christ. That really is food for thought. I had actually awakened right now with that thought on my mind. I’ll pray about it. GB

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My rambling thoughts of the moment...

Jesus was born of woman into the law. At His death He came up out of the law to a rebirth anew to the Father in a resurrected body. He is now the second Adam. Fully human, fully divine was His old nature , one in which He thought it more fitting to become a servant. Thru His servanthood He provided for us a means of escape. That which is being escaped from is the old nature. His new nature has flesh and bones, but His blood He gave for us. He gave His blood so that we would not experience death. On acceptance of Him we don’t experience any longer divorce from the Creator.

The Sermon on the Mount was preached from His position as servant. At that point He was servant to the law yet He saw the bigger picture. The time when we would mature to the full stature of the risen Lord.
After 2000 yrs I believe the church has matured to that. The governor of the law no longer has a place, divorced, gone. There is no room left for childish ways.

These are just my own thoughts so I remain convinced that the sermon on the mount is for us today because Jesus is the Christ of yesterday and He is our High Priest today. Imo everything He has said is relevant to us today because it’s His beloved that He came for. Seen in the nation and the individuals. God is One.

Paul was the first to intellectually digest the big picture in the true meaning of betrothal. He used examples that were familiar to describe the Family of God. Spiritually what he said pointed to the new creation. In his letter he saw around him what pointed to the church’s preparedness. But one must be born again to recognize that. The lamp must be lit. Servanthood must rule.

Jesus Christ came to restore to us the life of God that we had lost. That alone is our salvation. The Father wrought out in the Son the perfect human character that fully united the human will with the divine nature. When He had been perfected, in humility, submission and surrender to God alone, which is mankind’s duty and blessedness, He became the author of eternal salvation to all those who now obey Him. In His perfect human nature, which He now could communicate to each one of us, He could now lift us in spiritual reality, into God’s will, fellowship and presence. The way in which He was perfected thru obedience was the living way in which He is to lead us.

The path that Christ found, and opened up to us and in which He walked, was the path of obedience as the path to God. That’s the thing to animate us, with God’s own Spirit, to do it too. That’s why He, the perfected one, can alone be our salvation. Hebrews 10:14, Hebrews 12:2

His death was our death, but His life is our life too. Hebrews 9:11, Hebrews 13:21

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone! I am wondering how different theological traditions reconcile these two passages. Please let me know what tradition you are from and how you go about making sense of this apparent contradiction.

God bless you!
Michael
The word fulfill in Matthew simply means that Yeshua accomplished God's desire to it's fullest. He then stands as the model we are to follow. We can do what he did because he showed us how.. to the fullness of God's expectations. Acts 15 isn't meant to be taken as the end all chapter many make it out to be. Clearly, God expects more from us than just those 4 items. I mean... do not steal or even serve only Him are not listed there... can we now steal and serve other gods? No, absolutely not. So, it isn't meant to be those 4 things and that is it. Rather... it is meant to be those 4 things as a place to START, and then as it states in those verses... go to the synagogues (or churches) and hear Moses (or the Law) read and learn the rest. The Acts 15 letter is a place to BEGIN, it is not intended as a place we camped out and had nothing else expected of us!

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You quoted from John's first letter to support the idea that we must obey the law.

For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. His commandments are not grievous. (1 John 5:3)

John 3:23-24
This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us. The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him.

So John is not talking about the commandments in the law, rather John is directly quoting the two commandments.

If you dance around in the New Testament quoting from here and there, and disregarding the entire context of each letter. You will end up with many different interpretations, which will generate endless contention and strife.

I agree that it is important to notice the context. However, 1 John is different letter/book entirely than the Gospel of John. I think one should be careful when drawing a line between too separate books/letters.

I think 1 John 5:3 is on itself true, if we love God, we keep His commandments. Now the question is, what are God’s commandments. Certainly, they are the ten Commandments that are included in Love God and your neighbor. All God’s commandments are in “love your neighbor as yourself”, because:

Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, "You shall not commit adultery," "You shall not murder," "You shall not steal," "You shall not give false testimony," "You shall not covet," [TR adds "You shall not give false testimony,"] and whatever other commandments there are, are all summed up in this saying, namely, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." Love doesn't harm a neighbor. Love therefore is the fulfillment of the law.
Romans 13:8-10

But does that include also the whole Law of Moses? I think it does. Reason why I think so is, because Jesus said:

"Don't think that I came to destroy the law or the prophets. I didn't come to destroy, but to fulfill. For most assuredly, I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not even one smallest letter or one tiny pen stroke shall in any way pass away from the law, until all things are accomplished. Whoever, therefore, shall break one of these least commandments, and teach others to do so, shall be called least in the Kingdom of Heaven; but whoever shall do and teach them shall be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven.
Mat. 5:17-19

But, I think it is important to notice, keeping the law is not what saves.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So you think that the Law of Moses is still binding on Christians today?

I think binding is wrong word in this case. I think the Law is good and right. it would be good to live according to it. But it can be forgiven, if person can’t do so.

But we know that the law is good, if a man uses it lawfully,

1 Tim. 1:8

I would like to hear one example of the law that is not good nowadays?

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You keep the whole law by keeping the spirit of the law.
Matt 5:17-18, Jesus is talking of Himself that He will fulfill and accomplish all law down to the least pen stroke. The whole law was about Jesus for him to fulfill and accomplish and He knows it that no one but only He can keep the whole law down to the least pen stroke. For this purpose He came.
Matt 5:19-20, This is for anyone who is just after keeping the letter of the law but not its spirit/purpose of the law. Pharisees used to do so but true righteousness is to keep the spirit of the law. So to exceed them, keeping the spirit of the law is required to enter the kingdom of heaven.

And what does keeping the Spirit of the Law look like? For example, how do we keep the Spirit of Leviticus 19:19? Or Deuteronomy 25:11-12? I ask this because I wrestle with the idea that we are related to these verses at all... I believe we are to be obedient to His Holy Spirit and the NT writings, and that is our practical righteousness (as opposed to our positional righteousness before God which is secure in Christ).

Acts 15:5-29, This is after the gift of Holy Spirit. God considers it righteous those who accept His son and who keep the spirit of the law. If you look at verses 8-10, since God did not show any distinction between Jews and gentiles, but also gave Holy Spirit to those gentile believers just as He did to the Jewish believers who kept the law, so the apostles did not wanted to burden gentile believers with the law that which God specially gave to Jews. Because the Holy Spirit in each believer takes care of what is required of them by spirit, so apostles were pretty much like "God already gave them Holy Spirit and saved them, so who are we to put burden on gentiles that neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear?"

Agreed. Do the restrictions listed in Acts 15:20 and 15:28-29 have the weight of law, though?

Romans 2:25-29 For circumcision indeed is of value if you obey the law, but if you break the law, your circumcision becomes uncircumcision. So, if a man who is uncircumcised keeps the precepts of the law, will not his uncircumcision be regarded as circumcision? Then he who is physically uncircumcised but keeps the law will condemn you who have the written code and circumcision but break the law. For no one is a Jew who is merely one outwardly, nor is circumcision outward and physical. But a Jew is one inwardly, and circumcision is a matter of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter. His praise is not from man but from God.

AMEN!

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
foodforthought,

1. We are under the law of Christ 1 Corinthians 9:21.
Galatians 3:24,25.
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ that we might be justified by faith.
But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
Verse Before faith came we were kept under the law, talking about the Jews.

So in your view, the Law of Moses was never for the gentiles at all? Nor is it today?

2. The Mosaic law system was abolished at Calvary 1 Corinthians 3:12-14. Vs. 15-17 shows the veil is still upon Israel today and will not be lifted till the end.
Jeremiah 31:31-34; Hebrews 8:6-12 show Israel is still blind and have the veil on their heart and have not entered into the New Covenant as a nation. This will happen in the time of Jacob’s trouble Matthew 24:21 and at the battle of the Armageddon when they shall mourn whom they had pierced when Christ comes back Revelation 1:7 and Matthew 24:31 where the angels gather the Jewish elect. Jerry Kelso

You meant 2 Corinthians 3:12-17, right? While I agree that the Law does not apply to us today, I don't think you can use that passage to teach that the Law has been abolished. However, the passage in Hebrews 8 is a different story... it calls the Law of Moses "obsolete", and says it is "about to disappear"! Those words are hard to get around for those who wish to place us under the Law!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The word fulfill in Matthew simply means that Yeshua accomplished God's desire to it's fullest. He then stands as the model we are to follow. We can do what he did because he showed us how.. to the fullness of God's expectations. Acts 15 isn't meant to be taken as the end all chapter many make it out to be. Clearly, God expects more from us than just those 4 items. I mean... do not steal or even serve only Him are not listed there... can we now steal and serve other gods? No, absolutely not. So, it isn't meant to be those 4 things and that is it. Rather... it is meant to be those 4 things as a place to START, and then as it states in those verses... go to the synagogues (or churches) and hear Moses (or the Law) read and learn the rest. The Acts 15 letter is a place to BEGIN, it is not intended as a place we camped out and had nothing else expected of us!

Hi Ken!

What do you think Hebrews 8:6-13 means?

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think binding is wrong word in this case. I think the Law is good and right. it would be good to live according to it. But it can be forgiven, if person can’t do so.

But we know that the law is good, if a man uses it lawfully,

1 Tim. 1:8

I would like to hear one example of the law that is not good nowadays?

Deuteronomy 25:11-12? The commands to utterly destroy man, woman, and child in certain people groups? Also, Hebrews 8:6-13 says the Law is obsolete and has disappeared (by now).

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I'll have to think about that...

Upvote 0

jerry kelso

Food For Thought
Mar 13, 2013
✟104,142.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
So in your view, the Law of Moses was never for the gentiles at all? Nor is it today?

food for thought,

Yes. Ephesians 2:12; That at that time he were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world.
The gentiles could be proselyted into Judaism or they were dealt with by their conscience.

You meant 2 Corinthians 3:12-17, right? While I agree that the Law does not apply to us today, I don't think you can use that passage to teach that the Law has been abolished. However, the passage in Hebrews 8 is a different story... it calls the Law of Moses "obsolete", and says it is "about to disappear"! Those words are hard to get around for those who wish to place us under the Law!

2. Sorry for the typo.
V 13 about Moses and the veil on his face is from Exodus 34:33.
2 Corinthians 3:7: But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones (Ten Commandments) was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not steadfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away.
The Ten Commandments was the overall essence of the Mosaic Law.
V 7 uses the phrase to be done away. V 13, uses abolished.
The New Covenant came in at Calvary and the church started on the Day of Pentecost, but the Jewish nation rejected Jesus and the KoH and the KoG message and which was under the Mosaic law.
So the Jewish nation has not accepted the New Covent as prophesied in Jeremiah 31:31-34. Why? Because in Jesus ministry they only had the Old covenant. At the same time they were prophesied they would reject Christ. This doesn’t mean that the kingdom offer was not valid for it was and the Church was ordained of God not a plan b as dispensationalists are accused of.
Romans 11:11 salvation came to the gentiles because of Israel’s fall to provoke them to jealousy which is affirmation to Matthew 21:43.

3. In the tribulation of the time of Jacob’s trouble Matthew 24:21; the Jews will eventually be saved under the New Covenant Jeremiah 31:31/34 and Hebrews 8:6-13.
Jesus- mediator of the New Covenant established on better promises. The days will come with the Lord making aNew Covenant with Israel and Judah is in line with Ezekiel 37:16-28.
V 10 is the covenant written in their hearts and laws put into their mind.
V 11; And they shall not teach every man his neighbor and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me from the least to the greatest.
This has never happened. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. This has not happened for the Jews still are blind and backslidden and will be till the end of the tribulation when the gentiles be come in Romans 11:25-29 and the kingdoms of this world will become the Lord and Christ.
The blindness of the Jews in Romans 11:25 is the same as the veil being over their hearts 2 Corinthians 3:12-16. Jerry Kelso

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Ken!

What do you think Hebrews 8:6-13 means?
The word covenant is added in one place... but the main part I will address and then go from there.

In Hebrew... Jeremiah 31:31 uses the word chadashah where we see "new" for new covenant. That word, chadashah, is the verb chadash which means "to renew." It is being used as an adjective to describe the covenant (hence the form change) but the meaning of the the word does not change... it is still renew. The verse is literally saying, "I will renew the covenant that I made." Keep in mind, that same word is used for "new" moon which isn't a brand new moon every month. It is the same moon that renews it's cycles.

So, if that is true, the Hebrews verse (8:8) must bear this out... and it does. The word for new is kainos... kainos means to refresh, renew. There is another word, nehos (also spelled neos) that means new in regards to age. A brand new 2020 Mustang is nehos, a 1968 Mustang you buy and make like new is kainos. The covenant is kainos... renewed, made fresh... not brand new.

Ah, but it says it is different... "not like the one I made...." Yes... what is different is that the text (the law) is written on the heart, not on stone. Same law... same everlasting covenant (see Psalm 105:8-10) written on the mind and heart directly by God as part of the perfecting process. Rather than on stone where Israel was commanded to keep it on their hearts by themselves, an act they were not successful at.

• Informative
Upvote 0