• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Matthew 23:9 Can someone explain please

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by FriendlyJosh, Jan 11, 2012.

1. FriendlyJosh

FriendlyJosh Newbie

+119
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Matthew 23:9 “And do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven.”

Jesus said the above, but I know people call priests Father, so I don't understand.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Swoosh

Swoosh Sancta Simplicitas

+40
    Catholic
    Married
    [8] But be not you called Rabbi. For one is your master; and all you are brethren. [9] And call none your father upon earth; for one is your father, who is in heaven. [10] Neither be ye called masters; for one is your master, Christ.

[9] Call none your father upon earth: Neither be ye called masters. The meaning is that our Father in heaven is incomparably more to be regarded, than any father upon earth: and no master to be followed, who would lead us away from Christ. But this does not hinder but that we are by the law of God to have a due respect both for our parents and spiritual fathers, (1 Cor. 4. 23: 15,) and for our masters and teachers.

DRBo_Org

3. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+39,691
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Call No Man "Father"?
    Many Protestants claim that when Catholics address priests as "father," they are engaging in an unbiblical practice that Jesus forbade: "...

4. Chrystal-J

Chrystal-J the one who stands firm to the end will be saved Supporter

+4,537
    United States
    Catholic
    Widowed
    US-Others
    If that were the case, then you couldn't call your own Dad father either. I think it refers to calling no one their creator (father) other than God (who created us all). That's my take anyway.

5. FriendlyJosh

FriendlyJosh Newbie

+119
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Thanks

6. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+39,691
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif]The answer in part-[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif] [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif] [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif]So What Did Jesus Mean?[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif][/FONT]

7. ProScribe

ProScribe Well-Known Member

+192
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Jesus does say that in that passage . .

However, proper church tradition addresses the canonical priest as Fr. in accordance with his role in the diocese/parish.

8. WarriorAngel

WarriorAngel I close my eyes and see you smile Supporter

+7,448
    Catholic
    Private
    Paul called himself a father...in giving the Gospel

9. OuterWater

OuterWater Formerly InnerPhyre

+83
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    Keep in mind what St. Paul says in 1 Corinthians 4:14-15

"Even though you have ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel."

This is the context by which we call our priests "Father."