Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
the relationship of husband and wife will persist, but we don't know what it's like since it will be between two glorified, resurrected people.
I've heard kind of the opposite from an Orthodox priest-monk (assuming that I understood him correctly) - that while there is an eternal significance with the husband and wife in Heaven, nonetheless marriage basically ceases after death. Was I mislead, or is there not a definite answer?

Upvote 0

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
And how do the Orthodox interpret these verses from Matthew 22:

"23 That day there came to him the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection; and asked him,

24 Saying: Master, Moses said: If a man die having no son, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up issue to his brother.

25 Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first having married a wife, died; and not having issue, left his wife to his brother.

26 In like manner the second, and the third, and so on to the seventh.

27 And last of all the woman died also.

28 At the resurrection therefore whose wife of the seven shall she be? for they all had her.

29 And Jesus answering, said to them: You err, not knowing the Scriptures, nor the power of God.

30 For in the resurrection they shall neither marry nor be married; but shall be as the angels of God in heaven.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,468,615.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've heard kind of the opposite from an Orthodox priest-monk (assuming that I understood him correctly) - that while there is an eternal significance with the husband and wife in Heaven, nonetheless marriage basically ceases after death. Was I mislead, or is there not a definite answer?

well, I think I would agree with that, and I think that's just a better way of saying what I was saying. something about marriage will abide forever, but what that is or how that works we won't know until the End.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship

"23 That day there came to him the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection; and asked him,

24 Saying: Master, Moses said: If a man die having no son, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up issue to his brother.

25 Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first having married a wife, died; and not having issue, left his wife to his brother.

28 At the resurrection therefore whose wife of the seven shall she be? for they all had her.

29 And Jesus answering, said to them: You err, not knowing the Scriptures, nor the power of God.

30 For in the resurrection they shall neither marry nor be married; but shall be as the angels of God in heaven.
I'm also wondering this as I'm currently reading the book of Tobit for the first time. That actually tells that Sarah's first 7 husbands died before the marriage was consummated, not just before having a child. Until Tobias marries her with the guidance and protection of Angel Raphael.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,023,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

What version is this? The versions I have say neither marry or be given in marriage.

While my Greek is limited, I believe the word γαμίζονται signifies specifically to be given in marriage, not the state of being married.

γαμοῦσιν "Marry" is from gameô (gameo), which mean "to marry" and "to take a wife." For a woman, it means "to give yourself in marriage."

γαμίζονται, "Given in marriage" is from gamizô(gamizo), which means "to give a daughter in marriage. "

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've also heard that the Orthodox marriage services don't say, "til death do us part" or anything like that. And Orthodox theologians tend to make a big point of that in some of the stuff I've read, that the Church teaches marriage goes beyond the grave

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I would say this is an accurate statement.

I've also heard that the Orthodox marriage services don't say, "til death do us part" or anything like that. And Orthodox theologians tend to make a big point of that in some of the stuff I've read, that the Church teaches marriage goes beyond the grave
It's a straw man argument. In the west the marriage service followed the pattern of a legal contract, so they announce the beginning and end dates.

Reactions: AMM
Upvote 0

Antoni

Aug 17, 2019
NorthEast
✟51,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
well, I think I would agree with that, and I think that's just a better way of saying what I was saying. something about marriage will abide forever, but what that is or how that works we won't know until the End.

I believe this is the best answer you can get this side of the eschatological Kingdom.

• Agree
Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The sacrament prefigures the unity of Christ with his church. A marriage is the formation of a small church. The husband, wife and children are members individually but are of one body according to the flesh. In the marriage service Ephesians 5:23-31 is read driving this point home. It also compares the crowning at the wedding with the heavenly crown keeping them safeguarded to present in heaven. Of course all this presupposes you succeed the prayers speak of keeping the community of marriage undefiled without spot like the bride of Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums