(Matthew 15:26)Anyone can explain to me these verses?

IvanOng

Sep 12, 2005
Singapore
✟8,042.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 15:26 - 28.

26He replied, "It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs."

27"Yes, Lord," she said, "but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table."

28Then Jesus answered, "Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted." And her daughter was healed from that very hour.

I don't understand the meaning behind this. Why did Jesus said that woman had greath faith after she spoke about the dogs? I'm unable to see the linkage.:confused:

steve4.truth

don't be a hater :)
Apr 29, 2009
✟15,585.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The woman was a gentile and Jesus was sent to the jews. So His first priority was to minister to the Jews. How Jesus’ heart must have been moved by the woman’s earnest appeal! Yet, he again points to his first responsibility, to minister to God’s people of Israel. At the same time, apparently to test her faith, he draws on the Jews’ prejudiced view of those of other nationalities, arguing: “It is not right to take the bread of the children and throw it to little dogs.”
By his compassionate tone of voice and facial expression, Jesus surely reveals his own tender feelings toward non-Jews. He even softens the comparison of Gentiles to dogs by referring to them as “little dogs,” or puppies. Rather than take offense, the woman picks up on Jesus’ reference to Jewish prejudices and makes the humble observation: “Yes, Lord; but really the little dogs do eat of the crumbs falling from the table of their masters.” She showed that she understood that blessings came through the Israelite s, and her persistence showed her faith. So Jesus made an exception and healed this Gentile.

Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

IvanOng

Sep 12, 2005
Singapore
✟8,042.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The woman was a gentile and Jesus was sent to the jews. So His first priority was to minister to the Jews. How Jesus’ heart must have been moved by the woman’s earnest appeal! Yet, he again points to his first responsibility, to minister to God’s people of Israel. At the same time, apparently to test her faith, he draws on the Jews’ prejudiced view of those of other nationalities, arguing: “It is not right to take the bread of the children and throw it to little dogs.”
By his compassionate tone of voice and facial expression, Jesus surely reveals his own tender feelings toward non-Jews. He even softens the comparison of Gentiles to dogs by referring to them as “little dogs,” or puppies. Rather than take offense, the woman picks up on Jesus’ reference to Jewish prejudices and makes the humble observation: “Yes, Lord; but really the little dogs do eat of the crumbs falling from the table of their masters.” She showed that she understood that blessings came through the Israelite s, and her persistence showed her faith. So Jesus made an exception and healed this Gentile.

oh mine. sorry to say tt my knowledge of the bible is very minimal. can you tell me what is gentile and jews? what are their differences? I cant relate to it :/

Upvote 0

KingZzub

Blessed to Be A Blessing
Dec 23, 2005
Dagenham
Visit site
✟19,473.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
The woman was not from Israel. Jesus was sent to preach to Israel and not minister to other nations. It was not until after Jesus died and rose from the dead was the good news supposed to be preached to all the nations of the world.

She comes to Jesus to get healing for her daughter and asked Jesus for healing. He says no - she is not part of the family being a foreigner to Israel. Not only does Jesus call her an outsider but He does it in a totally non-PC way calling her a dog. Jesus says healing is for children.

She says that Jesus would feed a dog. Her udnerstanding that Jesus is good and would heal her no matter the colour of her skin or the nation she is from is what is the great faith here - she believed God would heal her because God is good, not because of any merit of her own.

Thankfully today any Christian is a child of God and is more than entitled to the healing that is the children's bread.

Blessings,
Ben

Upvote 0

KingZzub

Blessed to Be A Blessing
Dec 23, 2005
Dagenham
Visit site
✟19,473.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
I once went to a lady's house while door knocking and said what a wonderful Christian she was having a Scripture written on her door.

She denied being a Christian and having a Scripture on her door.

I turned to Php. 3.2: "Beware of dogs", kept reading and preached to her on her doorstep.

Blessings,
Ben

Upvote 0