catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reading fully (entire passages and often entire chapters) is needed to understand many individual verses in the gospels. So, a good first step would be to read the whole chapter. (and if one hasn't yet, to fully through the entire gospel at least once) So, 'listening' includes that full reading.

Here, He is saying that if He is wrongly accused, slandered, and such, then (even more certain is that) his disciples will be also, later in time.

Let me add, here, as often is the situation, you will very much want to read the following verses, and be glad when you have.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟167,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hello, I don't understand the second. part of Matthew 10:25 below:

It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master, and the servant as his lord. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more shall they call them of his household?

Some context:
Vs 1 Jesus summons the 12; Vrs 5-22 He tells them where to go (Israel only) what to do & what to expect.

Onto the vrs you cited:
Matt 10:
24 The disciple is not above his master, nor the servant above his lord.
(MY NOTE: Jesus tells the 12, they are going to treat you 12 as unfairly as have treated Me)

25 It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master, and the servant as his lord. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more shall they call them of his household?
(MY NOTE: They have called ME JESUS/the master of the house, Beelzebub/SATAN. How do you think they're going to treat you 12?)

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I think the key to understanding this is Mat 12:24

"But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, “It is only by Beelzebul, the ruler of the demons, that this fellow casts out the demons.”"

If people said Jesus was acting for Beelzebul, how much more are they going to accuse his followers of doing bad things.

Upvote 0

AFrazier

Site Supporter
Apr 1, 2016
Mauldin, South Carolina
✟161,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It seems pretty straight forward to me. If they are going to criticize and call the one you follow names, then they will do the same to you for following that person.

Not to involve politics directly, or to express a specific persuasion, but you can simply take the whole Trump experience as an example. There are a lot of people who hate Trump. They call him names, say he's evil, racist, xenophobic, etc. If you happen to be a supporter of Trump, then by extension they consider you just as bad, and will just as readily treat you with the same contempt.

So if they are going to call Jesus (their master) Beelzebub, then his disciples should expect to be equally contemned for being servants to that master.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems pretty straight forward to me. If they are going to criticize and call the one you follow names, then they will do the same to you for following that person.

Not to involve politics directly, or to express a specific persuasion, but you can simply take the whole Trump experience as an example. There are a lot of people who hate Trump. They call him names, say he's evil, racist, xenophobic, etc. If you happen to be a supporter of Trump, then by extension they consider you just as bad, and will just as readily treat you with the same contempt.

So if they are going to call Jesus (their master) Beelzebub, then his disciples should expect to be equally contemned for being servants to that master.
Trump is not a partial or world situation savior though, because there is only one real saving Person, ever.

(It can help to get really clear on this, past the surface: he is not in any way a stand-in, not even a little)

Psalm 118:8 It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.

Psalm 146:3 Put not your trust in princes, in mortal man, who cannot save.

On Wednesday we saw more of the outcomes of Trump's words/actions. Did our Lord's words/actions cause his followers to break into a governmental building? Did our Lord's words cause some followers to beat up immigrants? Kill a security officer in a parliament?

One of the Capitol Police officers has now died of his injuries from being beaten with a fire extinguisher by the mob.

Upvote 0

AFrazier

Site Supporter
Apr 1, 2016
Mauldin, South Carolina
✟161,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Trump is not a partial or world situation savior though, because there is only one real saving Person, ever.

(It can help to get really clear on this, past the surface: he is not in any way a stand-in, not even a little)

Psalm 118:8 It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.

Psalm 146:3 Put not your trust in princes, in mortal man, who cannot save.

On Wednesday we saw more of the outcomes of Trump's words/actions. Did our Lord's words/actions cause his followers to break into a governmental building? Did our Lord's words cause some followers to beat up immigrants? Kill a security officer in a parliament?

One of the Capitol Police officers has now died of his injuries from being beaten with a fire extinguisher by the mob.
With respect, I was very specific in stating that I was not trying to directly involve politics. Nor did I express a political persuasion. I used that as a real world example of the principle Jesus was teaching. If they hate the master, they will hate his servants.

I have no desire to argue propaganda with people on this forum. I know of only one person who died, and it was a protester who got shot by Capitol police. Neither did Trump encourage anyone to do what they did.

Furthermore, I was not comparing Trump to Christ in any sort of one to one comparison, or suggesting that anyone look to Trump for any sort of salvation.

It was a real world example to explain the principle. Nothing more. Please don't respond to this. I have no desire to argue politics.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know of only one person who died

Ok, but one serious immediate scriptural/faith concern here:

Did this part I highlighted mean you don't believe a Capitol Police officer was beaten by the mob with a fire extinguisher and has now died of his injuries?

If so, it's very concerning, because it may be about believing nothing bad could come of Trump's words and actions as president: which is faith in Trump.

The belief nothing bad could come of Trump, and all Trump's words and actions as president are good (or never seriously harmful/evil, or never really wrong in any important way), is an attitude of faith. The attitude we are instead to put towards Christ.

It's crucially important to put one's hope, one's faith/trust only in Jesus Christ, and not in any mortal man. Ever. We hear this in scripture.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟336,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Did this part I highlighted mean you don't believe a Capitol Police officer was beaten by the mob with a fire extinguisher and has now died of his injuries?

If so, it's very concerning, because it may be about believing nothing bad could come of Trump's words and actions as president: which is faith in Trump.

The belief nothing bad could come of Trump, and all Trump's words and actions as president are good (or never seriously harmful/evil, or never really wrong in any important way), is an attitude of faith. The attitude we are instead to put towards Christ.

It's crucially important to put one's hope, one's faith/trust only in Jesus Christ, and not in any mortal man. Ever. We hear this in scripture.

It’s difficult to believe that any one person would exalt themselves to put so many lives in danger. To me that’s testing God because of God’s being one. There is no god beside Him. ....wowzers, what’s trump in his game anyway? is it hearts? I don’t think so. He only sees strategies in a world chess game. What would he correlate his concepts if it don’t look like Christ?

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

AFrazier

Site Supporter
Apr 1, 2016
Mauldin, South Carolina
✟161,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

I just read about the officer. I was unaware of it until today.

• Friendly
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LionOfPatmos

Jan 13, 2021
Toronto
✟8,133.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
As a rebuke against the Pharisees, who were at this time largely Canaanite-Edomite by race, (a fulfillment of prophecies in Malachi), this verse should be viewed in that context. Malachi prophecied that the priesthood would be soon corrupted, and it certainly was corrupted by the time of Christ. After the deportations of the last of Judah by the Babylonians, many Edomites moved into the land and took positions of power. This is evident from many sources, including but not limited to: Ezekiel 35 & Ezekiel 36. Josephus Antiquities Book 13: 257-259.

1 Maccabees 2:46 shows us that already in those days, they were circumcising children by geography rather than ethnicity. As the Pharisees had Edomite lineage, they were an illegitimate authority that expressed their fruits thoroughly, often through obsessive holdings towards minute details of the law. By the time of Christ, the Levant consisted of mixed multitudes.

It is imperative that when studying any interaction between Christ and the Pharisees, this fact must always be in the forefront of the student's mind in order to achieve proper comprehension. The Pharisee's lineage put them into perpetual conflict with Christ's ministry, and they were not recipients of His promise. Remembering: that Christ came "only for the lost sheep of the house of Israel".

Christ is ending a longer dialogue first in Matthew 10:24, that no servant should place themselves above their master. Simply, we must not exalt ourselves above Christ. This is a simple concept most can agree upon.

In Matthew 10:25, Christ goes on to explain that if this master of the house has received criticism from a certain group, then those who are members of that household should also naturally expect similar treatment from the opposition. The reference to Beelzeboul adds metaphorical context to the severity of the accusations, and also a tint of irony considering that Canaanites partook in rampant Baal worship. Servants of Christ should be expectant of similar reproach from the descendants of the Pharisees, or any later day partakers in their injustice. There is a warning here against integration with those who stand against God. Ultimately, I believe that if you are not attacked by society, then how much truth are you ultimately spreading? The conformist attitude is ultimately akin to participation.

Upvote 0