• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Math question re Pi

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Sink' started by durangodawood, Mar 15, 2020.

1. bekkilyn

bekkilyn Contemplative Christian Supporter

+4,505
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    US-Others
    And how would you mathematically prove that Pi is really the ratio of the circumference to the radius instead of the ratio of the circumference to the diameter? Especially since the radius cannot be equal to the diameter.

2. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+4,717
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    ???
    D is just 2r. They are completely interchangeable for the purpose of deriving Pi.

3. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+4,717
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    Because D is precisely equal to 2r. The conversion could not be more simple.

4. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+4,717
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    In terms of r Pi =6.28... is exactly as simple as Pi =3.14... in terms of D. The complexity either way is identical.

5. bekkilyn

+4,505
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    US-Others
    You said to forget the 2 and thus change Pi to 6.28ish. How would you mathematically prove that 3.14ish is equivalent to 6.28ish and that r is equal to 2r since the 2 factor doesn't matter?

If we forget the 2, then we no longer have c/(2r) but instead c/r which is not at all the same formula.

6. bekkilyn

+4,505
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    US-Others
    If you divide the denominator by 2, then you must divide the numerator by two, so to get rid of the 2 in the denominator, you would need to write the ratio as (c/2)/(2r/2) which simplifies to (c/2)/r which then simplifies right back to c/(2r).

7. Knee V

Knee V It's phonetic.

+1,548
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I see what you're saying now.

Maybe the diameter is more of a "real thing" than the radius?

8. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+8,384
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    I meant the measurements have different purposes. For instance the circumference of a barrel isn't necessary to calculate it's volume.

9. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+3,582
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    It would be, if you knew where A = pi x r^2 came from.

Area of a Circle

10. OldWiseGuy

+8,384
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Why make it more complicated than it needs to be?

Some people use a hammer spinning awkwardly through the air to demonstrate that the center of balance of such an object forms a smooth ark.

I use it to drive nails. :D

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  11. Sabertooth

+3,582
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    That is where A = pi x r^2 came from. It riffs on circumference. (Knowing that, we just commit it to memory.)

Your barrel calculation still uses circumference in the process. It is just contained within the rote formula.

12. Occams Barber

Occams Barber Newbie Supporter

+2,782
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced

I'm used to seeing circumference expressed as both *D and 2*R. If anything, 2*R is the more conventional.

Then again I do live in an upside-down country. :)

OB
    (Edit: *Oooops - my pasted Pi's have fell off)

OB

13. Occams Barber

Occams Barber Newbie Supporter

+2,782
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced

How can you calculate the volume of a barrel without using the circumference?

OB

14. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+12,904
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    It is entirely arbitrary.

The use of the Greek letter pi for this ratio is really only a few centuries old. But once that particular standard was chosen and populartized, the arbitrary choice became fixed.

The concept of a fixed ratio for circles is thousands of years older and developed independently in several cultures. Some defined it differently.

15. OldWiseGuy

+8,384
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Volume = height x Pi x r squared.

No circumference (Pi x D) needed.

16. Sabertooth

+3,582
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Pi comes from c/d.

Without pi, volume = height x (circumference/diameter) x (radius, squared)

17. OldWiseGuy

+8,384
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    But we don't need to reinvent Pi, it's a 'given'.