Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Flynn

Sep 19, 2003
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
Greek55 said:
what is the christian perspective on mastrubation and fornificion?
Is it sinful?
Strictly speaking, sinfulness happens when you fall short of the good beings that God has made you to be. The root of it is self-centeredness. Whenever we make selfish decisions, we are tending toward sin. Whenever we act in the best interests of others (selflessness), then we are tending toward Godliness. Does this make sense? You will also find that when you tend to be selfless...your experience will naturally be far more pleasurable than the experiences produced out of self-centeredness.

Masturbation: I suppose that at its core, this is a kind of selfish endeavor. But lets be careful not to exaggerate the case. It is obviously quite natural to arrive at an event like this by simply exploring your own sexuality. In that sense I would say it is clearly not sinful. However, when it becomes an obsession, and you find that you are constantly wanting for what you do not have...then you will find that when you lose yourself in this obsession, it could lead to quite negative outcomes. It may cause you to obsess about your own pleasure during the real sexual act instead of focussing on the pleasure of your partner. IOW, it may disrupt the sexual pleasure that a healthy relationship would bring.

Fornication: This one is tougher to get a clear handle on. But you need to consider this as your guide: do you seek sex merely to satisfy your own desire (a selfish motive) or do you seek it because it leads to the betterment of your partner(s)? Keep in mind that 'betterment' does not imply making them happy for a while. It means this: are they are made better people by engaging in this kind of relationship?

My experience is this: casual sex is generally a selfish endeavor...and in the long run it does not bear good fruit. Lets not quibble over 'right' and 'wrong' for two consenting adults. Simply try to take an objective look at the long term benefits or detriments to such activity. Can you identify any benefits? If not, then perhaps its worth carefully considering such activity before engaging in it hap-hazardly.

Reactions: openeyes
Upvote 0

foolsparade

Jul 12, 2002
Pennsyl-tucky
✟2,584.00
Faith
Atheist
well my perspective is masturbation=good; fornicate=bad; I personaly have always found the idea of paying a girl for sex a major turnoff. I would want her to "get with me" because she WANTS too! However I have never been to the Mustang Ranch out in Vegas. {isn't that owned by the US government?}

Upvote 0

Natro

Agnostic Atheist
Nov 16, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟12,143.00
Faith
Atheist
foolsparade said:
well my perspective is masturbation=good; fornicate=bad; I personaly have always found the idea of paying a girl for sex a major turnoff. I would want her to "get with me" because she WANTS too! However I have never been to the Mustang Ranch out in Vegas. {isn't that owned by the US government?}
{no}

To me masturbation=good(healthy even); fornication=stupid we already have enough people going around reporducting like mad is not a good idea at this point. And on the whole prostitution thing I think it gets rid of the fun part. When I go play paint ball I have more fun tracking the person and preparing my shots then actualy shooting.

Upvote 0

Michali

Teleologist
Aug 1, 2003
Florida
✟10,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Natro said:
When I go play paint ball I have more fun tracking the person and preparing my shots then actualy shooting.
Good way to put it. I can't believe they haven't ever thought up a name or phrase for this type of thing. I suppose the "Grass is always greener on the other side" sort of says it. Actually, no it doesn't.

My personal philosophy is for everyone to be logical. Think of your goal in life (your own personal will, not "God's", simply because "God's will" is a little undefined. If you would like to say that it is God's will, then your going to have to define it. I think it's "love your neighbor as yourself"). Think of your little side goals, that may or may not be relevant to you primary objective.

Is the act logical? Is it beneficial? Why should you do it? What's so great about it? What's the big picture? If you don't like it, and do not want to do it (you may think with a sober mind), then why even do it? Would your loved one's want you to do it? Would your mate want you to have done it in your past? Would you want your mate to have done it in the past? If it is not bad, then why is it hidden in shame?

Logic should override your body's ambitions. Remember, Christian teaching seperates the man from his body. If the body controls you, you are not free. If you control you (if God controls you), you are free. Your will is logical. As long as it is your will, you are controlling yourself. You are acting, and not reacting.

Upvote 0

taedium

Jan 25, 2004
Orange County, CA
✟8,026.00
Faith
Atheist
I largely agree with Michali, you should consider your overall goals and make the logical conclusions from those goals. I would think forincation would be immoral if you intend to get married sometime, otherwise it would have no moral significance. Masturbation is immoral or not based purely on religion I'd think, I don't see it doing any damage otherwise.

Nice pic Natro

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michali

Teleologist
Aug 1, 2003
Florida
✟10,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey Natro, that's an old one. I've seen it, and it seems the kitten's are taking the offensive:

Attachments

• owned.gif
    owned.gif
    156.5 KB · Views: 356
Upvote 0

Neenie

Veteran
Dec 8, 2003
✟2,137.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Greek55 said:
what is the christian perspective on mastrubation and fornificion?
Is it sinful?

Fornication the greek traslation of "inappropriate contentiea" is where people had sex with prostitutes in the alleys and L shaped walls called "fornix" at the Temple of Aphrodite and around Rome. People who had Sex with those prostitutes were idolatrous! Therefore is sin.

Masturbation: Some people call it a sin; it can be seen as lust. But I’ve heard 99% of men do it. It sounds like a normal bodily function to me. but at the same time is lust.

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yes , masturbation and fornication are sinful . Masturbation is normally a less complicated sin , because it usually is solo ,and as such , does not envolve " a conspiracy of sinners against the Lord " , or the possibility of transmitting venereal disease , and " unprepared for " pregnancy .( which can have lifelong ramifications ).

There are some verses which appear to refer to masturbation as " shameful " or sinful . There is even verses which appear to address " wet dreams " , which are akin to masturbation . See - Dt. 23:10+11 & See Lv. 15:16-1; 15:31+32 & 22:4-7 . [ Note : these verses seem to indicate that the " uncleaness " of having one's seed going forth from them , is temporal and can be washed away - nevertheless the "day" of being " unclean " is time and service lost , which may indeed have brought much needed lessons and blessing for our life , and our future ! [ Especially , if we "lose" day after day after day .] - For then , we may find that we , ourselves , are lost , as well .

See also Proverbs 18:1-3 - [ Here ignominy in KJV comes from the Hebrew qalown - which has within it's definition and root meanings , words such as -disgrace ,dishonor , reproach , shame , the pudenda + to be light , as in rapid motion . [ Strong's Concordance ] ( pudenda - external genital organs )

Another probable reference is found in 1st Cor. 6:9-10 where it is stated that " abusers of themselves with mankind ...shall [not] inherit the kingdom of God ." self-abuse - reproach of oneself : masturbation [ Webster's Dictionary ]

Also , in 1st John we find -" Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin ; for his seed remaineth in him : and he cannot sin , because he is born of God ."
Consider , when one man is lawfully married to one woman , they become " one flesh " (See Mt. 19:5+6) , therefore a man can "release" his seed as God ordained , into his wife , and since they are one flesh - his seed still " remaineth in him " ; [ I know this verse can also apply to the Word of God in us as the seed of Eternal Life .]

Fornication , has many , many , more places of being described as sin , that which defiles , and can potentially prevent us from being accepted into God's Kingdom , if unrepented of . 1st Cor. 6 : 15-20 w/ 3:16+17 Put it really plain .

In summary , if due to weakness towards lust , we cannot contain ; masturbation is a lesser evil than fornication ; but the calling of Christ on our life - is to become strong in our faith and overcome the sin ,
( which can so easily interfere with our fellowship and sevice , in the Lord Jesus Christ ) ; so that His Spirit may reign victoriously in our lives which have been consecrated unto God . To the praise , and the glory of our Blessed Saviour . Amen .

P.S. Remember The Lord is longsuffering , and merciful ; and yet requires that we come clean of our sins ; because this is critical for our hamonizing with God's will , Spirit , and Kingdom ; and even this is the work of Salvation in our life and in our soul .

With my eyes on The Prize - wm

i

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neenie

Veteran
Dec 8, 2003
✟2,137.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
arizona_sunshine said:
Fornication does not = prostitution.

I am sorry but i dissagree :sigh:

Fornication the greek traslation of "inappropriate contentiea" is where people had sex with prostitutes in the alleys and L shaped walls called "fornix" at the Temple of Aphrodite and around Rome. People who had Sex with those prostitutes were idolatrous! Therefore is sin.

πορνεία η = prostitution idolatry
inappropriate contenteia i
http://www.kypros.org/cgi-bin/lexicon

Fornication in today's times mean pre-marital sex, the original meaning of the word has been lost.

SYLLABICATION: for·ni·ca·tion
PRONUNCIATION: fôrn-kshn
NOUN: Sexual intercourse between partners who are not married to each other.
WORD HISTORY: The word fornication had a lowly beginning suitable to what has long been the low moral status of the act to which it refers. The Latin word fornix, from which fornicti, the ancestor of fornication, is derived, meant “a vault, an arch.” The term also referred to a vaulted cellar or similar place where prostitutes plied their trade. This sense of fornix in Late Latin yielded the verb fornicr, “to commit fornication,” from which is derived fornicti, “whoredom, fornication.” Our word is first recorded in Middle English about 1303.
American heritage dictionary http://www.bartleby.com/61/78/F0267800.html

Upvote 0

arizona_sunshine

Dec 15, 2003
✟3,323.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Janine said:
I am sorry but i dissagree :sigh:

πορνεία η = prostitution idolatry
inappropriate contenteia i
http://www.kypros.org/cgi-bin/lexicon

Fornication in today's times mean pre-marital sex, the original meaning of the word has been lost.

Disagree away, I have no problem with it. ;)

While it is a pity that the word 'fornicate' has lost its luminous original meaning, I believe the time in question is now. Therefore, is the purpose your post to condemn only prostitution and embrace premarital sex, then that is your perogative. I am sure your opinion will be well-recieved by foolsparade.

I found the word 'fornication' used in the KJV Old Testament--- I did find many were in reference to prostitution, others were ambiguous. The Old Testament, of course, is a Hebrew record. Have you looked into the meaning of the Hebrew comparable term for 'fornication?'

Upvote 0

foolsparade

Jul 12, 2002
Pennsyl-tucky
✟2,584.00
Faith
Atheist
arizona_sunshine said:

While it is a pity that the word 'fornicate' has lost its luminous original meaning, I believe the time in question is now. Therefore, is the purpose your post to condemn only prostitution and embrace premarital sex, then that is your perogative. I am sure your opinion will be well-recieved by foolsparade.

I found the word 'fornication' used in the KJV Old Testament--- I did find many were in reference to prostitution, others were ambiguous. The Old Testament, of course, is a Hebrew record. Have you looked into the meaning of the Hebrew comparable term for 'fornication?'

just a suggestion; don't take any gift of knowledge from the bible; a book written by ancient farmers. You are correct! I am for premarital sex, only if there comes a mutual agreement between the two lovers. Make love not war!!

Upvote 0

Neenie

Veteran
Dec 8, 2003
✟2,137.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
arizona_sunshine said:

Zanah? I looked up the Hebrew word from Strongs dictionary and found it is the same as the Greek word "inappropriate contenteia" idolatry, whoredom, harlotry does not mean pre-marital sex that is in a loving relationship.

I believe pre-marital sex is OK if you’re going to marry your partner. Many conservative Christians claim any touching or kissing with your loving partner before marriage is a grave sin. It's ok if they want to be emotional about it; however there is no biblical evidence to back up their claims. They also claim masturbation is a sin. But the reality is 92 percent of men and 62 percent of women touch. What next sleeping a sin?

I agree with foolsparade, Lets make love not war :hug:

I hope I haven’t offended anyone :pink:

Upvote 0

Michali

Teleologist
Aug 1, 2003
Florida
✟10,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
foolsparade said:
just a suggestion; don't take any gift of knowledge from the bible; a book written by ancient farmers. You are correct! I am for premarital sex, only if there comes a mutual agreement between the two lovers. Make love not war!!
Well, I think the problem we're having is the definition of "love".

I believe that we should always be logical, which is sometimes regarded as "emotionless". But it is the freeing of ourselves from our bodies, that we attempt to acheive. For instance, marriage is an objective act by two individuals which make a decision to work together as a social unit, and reap the benefits therein (family relations, money, other stuff thats substantial to the betterment of everyone participating). They also act as a unit that reproduces, and raises offspring.

But the love that they have for eachother is the love that we should have for every person. There isn't really any special love relationship supposed to be going on here. I should love my room mates with the same ultimate love that I'll have for my wife. Now, hopefully, you know I am referring to our "true love" and not our sexual "love". Sex is to be done with reason, and not for personal gratification. If you really love that person, you should not need sex to stay together. I'm supposed to already have that love for everybody, so this is not "diminishing" that husband-wife "love". It's just defining it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.