mass shootings a slightly different question

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I started this thread several months back when there were a couple of shootings back to back, but of course that is several pages down by now so I will asks again.

What do you think would happen if mass shootings were not covered by the news ( most are not anyway keep in mind only those that are seen as random.
I prefer to know I might be hunted down someday, by a mass shootings. Enstead of keeping the issue hidden.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was wondering though not in terms of them not being able to be covered or even in terms of not being covered on a local level, but more on a national level if people started to realize that a mass shooting would not get you fifteen minutes of fame so to speak if that would help.
There are some few killers who kill for the fame of it ... while there are others who kill for other reasons.

I've only read of one mass killer who spoke of the motive of getting his name into the news/record-books ...

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The Mother Jones data base does have some info. on each shooter in regards to this issue.
US mass shootings, 1982-2019: Data from Mother Jones’ investigation
well, you have their claims.

In order to substantiate that these shootings were due to mental illnesses one would need to demonstrate that these individuals were somehow not aware of what they were doing or had no possession of their mental faculties. there are many people with mental illness that aren't grabbing assault rifles and going to places and mowing people down.

couple that with the fact that most of these shooters had manifestos greatly articulating their reasons for doing what they did and it doesn't seem like a claim of mental illness holds water.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟898,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
well, you have their claims.

In order to substantiate that these shootings were due to mental illnesses one would need to demonstrate that these individuals were somehow not aware of what they were doing or had no possession of their mental faculties. there are many people with mental illness that aren't grabbing assault rifles and going to places and mowing people down.

couple that with the fact that most of these shooters had manifestos greatly articulating their reasons for doing what they did and it doesn't seem like a claim of mental illness holds water.
People can be mentally ill and aware of what they are doing at a particular time.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟898,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Then he has to be held fully accountable for what he did.
Yes, I agree, but to say that just because someone is mentally ill means that they have no idea what they are doing 24/7 is the part of that with which I was taking issue.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I agree, but to say that just because someone is mentally ill means that they have no idea what they are doing 24/7 is the part of that with which I was taking issue.
My point is if you're to absolve this person of responsibility because of mental illness you need to demonstrate that this mental illness meant he didn't know what he was doing and had no control of his mental faculties.

If that's not the case, they're fully responsible for their actions.

Upvote 0