Masons

Status
Not open for further replies.

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: Elijah Hashem
Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I've talked with several Christians who felt the Masonic Lodge was evil. None of them were Masons nor ex-Masons.

I've known several Christians who belonged to the Masonic Lodge. They were all fine, honorable and intelligent men. I would join the Masonic Lodge except I have enough 'activities' as it is.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've talked with several Christians who felt the Masonic Lodge was evil. None of them were Masons nor ex-Masons.

I've known several Christians who belonged to the Masonic Lodge. They were all fine, honorable and intelligent men. I would join the Masonic Lodge except I have enough 'activities' as it is.

R...e...a...l...l...y? That sounds like a massive waste of fraternal time, Arch. It also doesn't sound like you'd be swimming within the "Pail of Orthodoxy." :D

Upvote 0

2win

Dec 11, 2008
✟64,388.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
I don't see how a "true Christian" can be a member of the Masons. I have heard that about 50℅ of Baptist ministers are Masons; being an ordained Baptist minister myself, I have a hard time believing that if you know any thing about that organization. I have a fellow who claims to be a Christian, and is a Mason; he gets fighting mad if you tell him the Mason organization is not Christian.

Upvote 0

FaithfulPilgrim

Eternally Seeking
Feb 8, 2015
South Carolina
✟39,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Idk what to think of it. I guess it is a matter of conscience and it's between you and God. That's what I'd tell the guy.

I considered joining the Masons myself because I was depressed and uncertain about my future, so I figured they would be a good way to get a hand up. I also have a relative who is a Mason.

Freemasonry is kinda big here, as I have encountered two or three lodges within my vicinity.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Any thoughts on the Masons? A fella I know is joining and I'd thought I'd ask.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

This isn't a group that a Christian should be associated with. Simply, compare their beliefs to what the Bible says, and you'll see why. The following is a comparison of what the Bible says with the "official" position of Freemasonry:

Salvation from Sin:

The Bible’s View: Jesus became the sinner’s sacrifice before God when He shed His blood and died as the propitiation (payment) for the sins of all those who would ever believe (Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 5:8, John 3:16).

Mason’s View: The very process of joining the Lodge requires Christians to ignore the exclusivity of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. According to Freemasonry, a person will be saved and go to heaven as a result of his good works and personal self-improvement.

The View of the Bible:

The Bible’s View: The supernatural and plenary inspiration of the Scriptures—that they are inerrant and that their teachings and authority are absolute, supreme, and final. The Bible is the Word of God (2 Timothy 3:16, 1 Thessalonians 2:13).

Mason’s View: The Bible is only one of several “Volume(s) of Sacred Law,” all of which are deemed to be equally important in Freemasonry. The Bible is an important book, only as far as those members who claim to be Christians are concerned, just as the Koran is important to Muslims. The Bible is not considered to be the exclusive Word of God, nor is it considered to be God’s sole revelation of himself to humankind; but only one of many religious sourcebooks. It is a good guide for morality. The Bible is used primarily as a symbol of God’s will, which can also be captured in other sacred texts, like the Koran or Rig Vedas.

The Doctrine of God:

The Bible’s View: There is one God. The various names of God refer to the God of Israel and reveal certain attributes of God. To worship other gods or to call upon other deities is idolatry (Exodus 20:3). Paul spoke of idolatry as a heinous sin (1 Corinthians 10:14) and John said that idolaters will perish in hell (Revelation 21:8).

Mason’s View: All members must believe in a deity. Different religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc.) acknowledge the same God, only call Him different names. Freemasonry invites people of all faiths, even if they use different names for the ‘Nameless One of a hundred names,’ they are yet praying to the one God and Father of all.

The Doctrine of Jesus and the Trinity:

The Bible’s View: Jesus was God in human form (Matthew 1:18-24, John 1:1). Jesus is the second person of the trinity (Matthew 28:19, Mark 1:9-11). While on earth, He was fully human (Mark 4:38, Matthew 4:2) and fully divine (John 20:28, John 1:1-2, Acts 4:10-12). Christians should pray in Jesus’ name and proclaim Him before others, regardless of offense to non-Christians (John 14:13-14, 1 John 2:23, Acts 4:18-20).

Mason’s View: There is no exclusivity in Jesus Christ or the Triune God who is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; therefore there is no doctrine of the deity of Jesus Christ. It is deemed to be un-Masonic to invoke the name of Jesus when praying, or mention His name in the Lodge. Suggesting that Jesus is the only way to God contradicts the principle of tolerance. The name of Jesus has been omitted from biblical verses that are used in Masonic rituals. Jesus is on the same level as other religious leaders.

Human Nature and Sin:

The Bible’s View: All humans are born with a sinful nature, are totally depraved, and need a Savior from sin (Romans 3:23, Romans 5:12, Psalm 51:5, Ephesians 2:1). The Bible denies that because of the Fall, humanity has within itself the capacity for moral perfection (1 John 1:8-10, Romans 1:18-25).

Mason’s View: Through symbols and emblems, Masons teach that man is not sinful, just “rude and imperfect by nature”. Human beings are able to improve their character and behavior in various ways, including acts of charity, moral living, and voluntary performance of civic duty. Humanity possesses the ability of moving from imperfection toward total perfection. Moral and spiritual perfection lies within men and women.

When a Christian takes the oath of Freemasonry, he is swearing to the following doctrines that God has pronounced false and sinful:

1. That salvation can be gained by man’s good works.
2. That Jesus is just one of many equally revered prophets.
3. That they will remain silent in the Lodge and not talk of Christ.
4. That they are approaching the Lodge in spiritual darkness and ignorance, when the Bible says Christians are already in the light, children of the light, and are indwelt by the Light of the World—Jesus Christ.
5. By demanding that Christians take the Masonic oath, Masonry leads Christians into blasphemy and taking the name of the Lord in vain.
6. Masonry teaches that its G.A.O.T.U. [Great Architect of the Universe], whom Masonry believes is the true God of the universe, is representative of all gods in all religions.
7. Masonry makes Christians take a universalist approach in their prayers, demanding a “generic” name be used so as not to offend non-believers who are Masonic “brothers”.
8. By swearing the Masonic oath and participating in the doctrines of the Lodge, Christians are perpetuating a false gospel to other Lodge members, who look only to Masonry’s plan of salvation to get to heaven. By their very membership in such a syncretistic type organization, they have severely compromised their witnessing as Christians.
9. By taking the Masonic obligation, the Christian is agreeing to allow the pollution of his mind, spirit, and body by those who serve false gods and believe false doctrines.

As you can see, Masonry denies and contradicts the clear teaching of Scripture, on numerous issues. Masonry also requires people to engage in activities which the Bible condemns. As a result, a Christian should not be a member of any secret society or organization that has any connection with Freemasonry.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I have had a small involvement with the Masons. I won't say how. Overall, I have to say that they seem like normal people, even likable, but their doctrine, if it could be called that, is highly mystical and doesn't really seem to adhere to Biblical principles. The rites that they perform are mystical and have absolutely nothing to do with the Bible or Christian tradition. I know some people portray it as just a social club; perhaps in some places they are. I don't know, but the Masonic lodge I knew was definitely not just a social venue. To be honest, I never thought the question of joining a lodge would ever appear on a fundamentalist forum like this one, but this world finds new ways to give me the creeps every day. I can't wait to see what tomorrow holds.

Reactions: Elijah Hashem
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
This isn't a group that a Christian should be associated with. Simply, compare their beliefs to what the Bible says, and you'll see why. The following is a comparison of what the Bible says with the "official" position of Freemasonry:

Salvation from Sin:

The Bible’s View: Jesus became the sinner’s sacrifice before God when He shed His blood and died as the propitiation (payment) for the sins of all those who would ever believe (Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 5:8, John 3:16).

Mason’s View: The very process of joining the Lodge requires Christians to ignore the exclusivity of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. According to Freemasonry, a person will be saved and go to heaven as a result of his good works and personal self-improvement.

The View of the Bible:

The Bible’s View: The supernatural and plenary inspiration of the Scriptures—that they are inerrant and that their teachings and authority are absolute, supreme, and final. The Bible is the Word of God (2 Timothy 3:16, 1 Thessalonians 2:13).

Mason’s View: The Bible is only one of several “Volume(s) of Sacred Law,” all of which are deemed to be equally important in Freemasonry. The Bible is an important book, only as far as those members who claim to be Christians are concerned, just as the Koran is important to Muslims. The Bible is not considered to be the exclusive Word of God, nor is it considered to be God’s sole revelation of himself to humankind; but only one of many religious sourcebooks. It is a good guide for morality. The Bible is used primarily as a symbol of God’s will, which can also be captured in other sacred texts, like the Koran or Rig Vedas.

The Doctrine of God:

The Bible’s View: There is one God. The various names of God refer to the God of Israel and reveal certain attributes of God. To worship other gods or to call upon other deities is idolatry (Exodus 20:3). Paul spoke of idolatry as a heinous sin (1 Corinthians 10:14) and John said that idolaters will perish in hell (Revelation 21:8).

Mason’s View: All members must believe in a deity. Different religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc.) acknowledge the same God, only call Him different names. Freemasonry invites people of all faiths, even if they use different names for the ‘Nameless One of a hundred names,’ they are yet praying to the one God and Father of all.

The Doctrine of Jesus and the Trinity:

The Bible’s View: Jesus was God in human form (Matthew 1:18-24, John 1:1). Jesus is the second person of the trinity (Matthew 28:19, Mark 1:9-11). While on earth, He was fully human (Mark 4:38, Matthew 4:2) and fully divine (John 20:28, John 1:1-2, Acts 4:10-12). Christians should pray in Jesus’ name and proclaim Him before others, regardless of offense to non-Christians (John 14:13-14, 1 John 2:23, Acts 4:18-20).

Mason’s View: There is no exclusivity in Jesus Christ or the Triune God who is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; therefore there is no doctrine of the deity of Jesus Christ. It is deemed to be un-Masonic to invoke the name of Jesus when praying, or mention His name in the Lodge. Suggesting that Jesus is the only way to God contradicts the principle of tolerance. The name of Jesus has been omitted from biblical verses that are used in Masonic rituals. Jesus is on the same level as other religious leaders.

Human Nature and Sin:

The Bible’s View: All humans are born with a sinful nature, are totally depraved, and need a Savior from sin (Romans 3:23, Romans 5:12, Psalm 51:5, Ephesians 2:1). The Bible denies that because of the Fall, humanity has within itself the capacity for moral perfection (1 John 1:8-10, Romans 1:18-25).

Mason’s View: Through symbols and emblems, Masons teach that man is not sinful, just “rude and imperfect by nature”. Human beings are able to improve their character and behavior in various ways, including acts of charity, moral living, and voluntary performance of civic duty. Humanity possesses the ability of moving from imperfection toward total perfection. Moral and spiritual perfection lies within men and women.

When a Christian takes the oath of Freemasonry, he is swearing to the following doctrines that God has pronounced false and sinful:

1. That salvation can be gained by man’s good works.
2. That Jesus is just one of many equally revered prophets.
3. That they will remain silent in the Lodge and not talk of Christ.
4. That they are approaching the Lodge in spiritual darkness and ignorance, when the Bible says Christians are already in the light, children of the light, and are indwelt by the Light of the World—Jesus Christ.
5. By demanding that Christians take the Masonic oath, Masonry leads Christians into blasphemy and taking the name of the Lord in vain.
6. Masonry teaches that its G.A.O.T.U. [Great Architect of the Universe], whom Masonry believes is the true God of the universe, is representative of all gods in all religions.
7. Masonry makes Christians take a universalist approach in their prayers, demanding a “generic” name be used so as not to offend non-believers who are Masonic “brothers”.
8. By swearing the Masonic oath and participating in the doctrines of the Lodge, Christians are perpetuating a false gospel to other Lodge members, who look only to Masonry’s plan of salvation to get to heaven. By their very membership in such a syncretistic type organization, they have severely compromised their witnessing as Christians.
9. By taking the Masonic obligation, the Christian is agreeing to allow the pollution of his mind, spirit, and body by those who serve false gods and believe false doctrines.

As you can see, Masonry denies and contradicts the clear teaching of Scripture, on numerous issues. Masonry also requires people to engage in activities which the Bible condemns. As a result, a Christian should not be a member of any secret society or organization that has any connection with Freemasonry.
I would disagree on only one point: propitiation means mercy seat not payment. The difference is important.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If what I know and read about Freemasonry is true, I would have no issues turning them down and not giving them another thought.

Jesus Christ will always be my Saviour. I will not renounce Him and will strive to be faithful to God.

• Winner
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Tubalcain is the name of the character who is the model Mason, unwilling to reveal his 'secrets'... it's part of the initiation process -acting as the character Tubalcain as a part in a play.

...Honestly, an organization that strives so much to keep secrets can only mean it is an organization that is exclusive and non transparent. Nothing I'd ever want anything to do with.

If one knows something good and holy, why not share it?

• Winner
Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, an organization that strives so much to keep secrets can only mean it is an organization that is exclusive and non transparent. Nothing I'd ever want anything to do with.

If one knows something good and holy, why not share it?

If I may also add to this (and I do agree, btw!) Jesus also said:
John 18:20
And also this lesson of the Lamp: Luke 8:16-18

• Winner
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Yours in the Lord,

jm
In the Guards and then later in the Army I became acquainted with a few Masons, they don't seem all that bad. Generally when you ask a Mason to tell you more about them, and you have to ask, they mention Hiram Abiff who was the architect of the Temple of Solomon. I was deployed with a Mason, this nutty truck driver who had been a Mason for years. He was into the whole reincarnation thing and introduced me to someone he described as Illuminate. Oh and btw, the Illuminate are really just mystics. Anyway, when you get into Mason ideas about religion you must understand, it's eastern mysticism, this much I'm sure of. If I knew someone interested I'd tell them approach with caution, I know I had a number of warning flags go up when I started to get close.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
In my research I've found that Masonry can mean many things to many people...like rotary club. Some attend for fellowship - others for business connections. Some Masons read into their memory work esoteric teaching, others understand that Masonry is filled with mythology and these myths teach moral principles. These moral principles, at least during the early years, were based on moral Law as given in the scriptures.

The fellas I know that are Masons tend to believe in the more esoteric...and the going out for drinks after Lodge. lol

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In the Guards and then later in the Army I became acquainted with a few Masons, they don't seem all that bad. Generally when you ask a Mason to tell you more about them, and you have to ask, they mention Hiram Abiff who was the architect of the Temple of Solomon. I was deployed with a Mason, this nutty truck driver who had been a Mason for years. He was into the whole reincarnation thing and introduced me to someone he described as Illuminate. Oh and btw, the Illuminate are really just mystics. Anyway, when you get into Mason ideas about religion you must understand, it's eastern mysticism, this much I'm sure of. If I knew someone interested I'd tell them approach with caution, I know I had a number of warning flags go up when I started to get close.
I'm sorry that you got such an impression from that fellow. Most Masons are Christians and churchgoers and not at all "esoteric" or Eastern in their spiritual ideas. It is correct that Masonry doesn't impose any doctrinal ideas upon the members other than that it is required that a member be a monotheist. It's not a religion and no worship services take place.

Incidentally, it's correct that Masonic lodges do not have bars and they are not places for drinking. That's different from most other lodges or groups (usually named after some animal) in which drinking is a leading attraction.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm sorry that you got such an impression from that fellow. Most Masons are Christians and churchgoers and not at all "esoteric" or Eastern in their spiritual ideas. It is correct that Masonry doesn't impose any doctrinal ideas upon the members other than that it is required that a member be a monotheist. It's not a religion and no worship services take place.

Incidentally, it's correct that Masonic lodges do not have bars and they are not places for drinking. That's different from most other lodges or groups (usually named after some animal) in which drinking is a leading attraction.
I didn't really have a bad impression, Wagner was a good guy and I was getting interested for a while. He introduced me to someone who he seemed to think was a ranking Mason. We talked briefly and he said that when you are wanting to be a Mason they go around talking to your friends and neighbors about you, some kind of vetting I guess. It put me off, honestly the impression was that it's a fraternal organization that gets involved in civic matters. Bottom line I'm not much for joining anything.

I had taken an interest I their history, they appear to have emerged from medieval trade guilds. They seem ok to me.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your note. That part about talking to neighbors is pretty archaic, I think. Most lodges never do such a thing, but each state organization has its own standards, so maybe that explains something. Anyway, I completely agree with you that you either feel comfortable with what the group (whichever one that might be) does or, if not, it's not for you--and that's not a judgment upon the group. I, for example, have no interest in health clubs or political party functions, but I know people who just live for them.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.