Sep 3, 2011
✟323,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Mary and Martha - often understood as being about listening vs doing, but when interpreted alongside the Good Samaritan, tells us much more:
Mary and Martha - a story that goes deeper than just listening vs doing : cruciformity

I'm interested in other understandings of this story.
For me it simply means there's a whole bunch more to life than our busy work and other distractions-and Jesus had that something "more". It's also interesting that Mary was demonstrating love for God, while the Samaritan was showing love of neighbor; both were pleasing to God.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I like the conclusion he reached in the piece. It reminds me of my early experiences in the church.

“It is very easy to let ourselves be engaged with activities that may not in and of themselves be bad, but in which we become so engrossed that we are distracted from listening for and discerning God's will. Another trap we must try to avoid is to let our traditions and the expectations of our society (and even our religious community) get between us and God.”

Due to my background and spiritual gifts many assumed I was called to ministry. I was asked to lead a bible study and encouraged to consider divinity school. Most of their suggestions were based on traditions and aptitude.

But they were wrong. I wasn’t called to become a women’s ministry director, attend seminary or become a pastor’s wife either. When I discovered my purpose and the Lord’s mission for me. It was the opposite of everything they said.

Once I understood where I fit in the Kingdom. The zeal and passion I have for my purpose has not abated. I found myself giving and doing more out of a desire to please Him and fulfill the mission He’s entrusted to me.

The other things I’ve done were nice. But they weren’t the main thing. I didn’t have the focus of Mary. But I was busy as Martha and just as frustrated! Now that’s changed.

I’m plugged in just like she was. But I’m producing fruit free of anxiety and concerns. All that I see in the midst of everything is Him. I rest in His pleasure and company as my default.

When you’re where God desires you to be and He’s captured your attention. And you’re doing the things He wants you to do. You are no longer burdened by cares and worries. You’re completely absorbed in Him. And He takes care of the rest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that this story was included --after Jesus sends out the 72 and after the parable of the Good Samaritan-- to demonstrate that one is saved by faith not works.

Since the Gospels were written after the Jews had turned away from Jesus, even as the Gentiles were becoming saved, this Martha/Mary situation is a subtle demonstration of this great conflict.

Martha represents the Jews who with their Law are constantly busy trying to please God. Mary represents the few Jews and the many Gentiles who put aside this work and rely on faith to please God.

Upvote 0