Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Marvel recently announced the release of a new comic series: The United States of Captain America, which will feature the first LGBTQ individual to pick up the mantle of Captain America. It releases June 2, just in time for Pride Month.

Here is the basic storyline:

Marvel Comics is celebrating the 80th anniversary of the US hero with the launch of a new series…in which the incumbent Steve Rogers will team up with former Captain Americas when his shield goes missing. The heroes will take a road trip across the US to find the shield and will meet people from ‘all walks of life’ who have taken on the mantle of Captain America to defend their communities. Aaron Fischer, a gay teenager, will be the first, in the new limited series, released in June.

Fischer is a fearless teen who defends other homeless and runaway teens. According to Josh Trujillo, the series writer,

Aaron is inspired by heroes of the queer community: activists, leaders, and everyday folks pushing for a better life. He stands for the oppressed, and the forgotten. I hope his debut story resonates with readers and helps inspire the next generation of heroes.

Continued below.
Marvel Introduces a Gay Captain America: 3 Reflections for the Church | The Stream

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Marvel recently announced the release of a new comic series: The United States of Captain America, which will feature the first LGBTQ individual to pick up the mantle of Captain America. It releases June 2, just in time for Pride Month.

Marvel Comics is celebrating the 80th anniversary of the US hero with the launch of a new series…in which the incumbent Steve Rogers will team up with former Captain Americas when his shield goes missing. The heroes will take a road trip across the US to find the shield and will meet people from ‘all walks of life’ who have taken on the mantle of Captain America to defend their communities. Aaron Fischer, a gay teenager, will be the first, in the new limited series, released in June.

Fischer is a fearless teen who defends other homeless and runaway teens. According to Josh Trujillo, the series writer,

Aaron is inspired by heroes of the queer community: activists, leaders, and everyday folks pushing for a better life. He stands for the oppressed, and the forgotten. I hope his debut story resonates with readers and helps inspire the next generation of heroes.

Continued below.
Marvel Introduces a Gay Captain America: 3 Reflections for the Church | The Stream

Sounds like an absolute dud. A bitter, adult satire of this might work though. In this new era of wokeist censorship I doubt anyone would make it.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Continued below.
Cool. There has been a few Caps over the years. Good stuff.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you had to estimate the percentage of LGBTQ+ in the US based on movies, what would that percentage be?

I think it would still be an underestimate. The latest survey results I've seen (e.g., this Gallup poll LGBT Identification Rises to 5.6% in Latest U.S. Estimate) estimate the US LGBTQ+ population at about 4 or 5 percent. I don't think the number of LGBTQ+ characters in American movies is as high as 1 in 20. It's just eye-catching when an LGBTQ+ character appears, and that skews one's perception.

On the OP: I didn't know that "Captain America" was a title that could be passed from one person to another. Sounds like an interesting way to keep the storyline going.

Upvote 0

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟133,588.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it would still be an underestimate. The latest survey results I've seen (e.g., this Gallup poll LGBT Identification Rises to 5.6% in Latest U.S. Estimate) estimate the US LGBTQ+ population at about 4 or 5 percent. I don't think the number of LGBTQ+ characters in American movies is as high as 1 in 20. It's just eye-catching when an LGBTQ+ character appears, and that skews one's perception.

On the OP: I didn't know that "Captain America" was a title that could be passed from one person to another. Sounds like an interesting way to keep the storyline going.

I hadn't looked at the stats in quite a few years, so I was surprised to see it so high. But this is even more interesting:

2012 to 2017 (5 years): LGBTQ+ increased from 3.5% to 4.5%
2017 to 2020 (3 years): LGBTQ+ increased from 4.5% to 5.6%

Acceleration.

I was going to estimate 10% from the movies.

Upvote 0