✟839,778.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The prayer in question:
O Blessed Virgin, Mother of God, what great comfort God has shown us in you, by so graciously regarding your unworthiness and low estate. This encourages us to believe that henceforth He will not despise us poor and lowly ones, but graciously regard us also, according to your example.

Reactions: Athanasias
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,277,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Pardon me for asking, but what do you think he meant by Mary's "unworthiness". Is he speaking of sin, or something else? Perhaps that we should all aim to be "poor and lowly" spiritually?

From a non-Lutheran perspective, Mary's magnificat is perfect evidence of her worthiness to be the Mother of God. An unworthy woman would never dare to praise God after learning they are about to have a scandalous, out-of-wedlock birth.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟839,778.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Pardon me for asking, but what do you think he meant by Mary's "unworthiness". Is he speaking of sin, or something else? Perhaps that we should all aim to be "poor and lowly" spiritually?

From a non-Lutheran perspective, Mary's magnificat is perfect evidence of her worthiness to be the Mother of God. An unworthy woman would never dare to praise God after learning they are about to have a scandalous, out-of-wedlock birth.

Very true, but easy to explain, from the Magnificat:
"For He hath regarded the low estate of His handmaiden..."

According to Scripture, the Blessed Virgin Mary considered herself unworthy and mentioned her "low estate".

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,277,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
OK, thank you. I was trying to be charitable to Luther, realizing he often used expansive and imprecise language.

One thing that strikes me about the Magnificat is how bold it is. I remember years ago hearing an Anglican preacher give a sermon about the Magnificat, and she talked about how Mary's disposition goes against her nation's general tendency to false modesty, and how she felt Christians could learn something from St. Mary's example. Instead of false modesty, she responds with praising God. Which is a very Jewish way of looking at things, I suppose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The prayer in question:
O Blessed Virgin, Mother of God, what great comfort God has shown us in you, by so graciously regarding your unworthiness and low estate. This encourages us to believe that henceforth He will not despise us poor and lowly ones, but graciously regard us also, according to your example.
Nice prayer!

Upvote 0