Nichole

Senior Veteran
Mar 3, 2007
✟23,232.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I guess some Orthodox do left and others do right. We wear ours on our right hand. We just celebrated the Sacrament of Marriage in our church (Greek Orthodox) and they were put on our left. I wanted to switch to right, but hubby said we should keep left! LOL! So I guess it all depends!

Upvote 0

silouanathonite

Apr 14, 2006
Dallas
✟8,158.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Republican
Does anyone know why the tradition has changed. I just think it is interesting and the reason why I asked was that I was reading some on info on the Sacrament of Marriage. Archimandrite Aimilanos mentioned that it was on the right. The name of the sermon if you want to read it yourself is called "Marriage: The Great Sacrament". You can get it on Orthodoxinfo.

Upvote 0

JuvenalyMartinka

Chrismated: 11.04.07
Sep 6, 2004
Fresno, CA
✟603.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think a loss of understanding in the Mystery of Marriage in the West is the reason for all of the confusion.

We can see in the Scriptures where it is said that with God's right hand he worked many wonders and that the right hand is the hand of power and glory. (This is all spoken of in the Mystery Services)

People just have forgotten their roots sadly..

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
When engaged the ring is worn on the left and at betrothal it is placed on the right finger. And im not talking about the diamond engagement ring which is a very very modern western custom (probably invented by the jewlery business).

Christ sits at the Right hand of God, the sheep will stand at his right on Judgement day etc.

Upvote 0

repentant

Orthodoxy: Debunking heretics since 33 A.D.
Sep 2, 2005
US of A
✟8,687.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
And im not talking about the diamond engagement ring which is a very very modern western custom (probably invented by the jewlery business).

Christ sits at the Right hand of God, the sheep will stand at his right on Judgement day etc.

It was invented by DeBeers diamond company in the 20th century, who also owns 90% of the worlds diamonds, and keep them out of circulation in order to drive up the cost of diamonds. Truth is, diamonds are not that rare, it is just that DeBeers has a monopoly on them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

heart of peace

Aug 12, 2015
✟10,802.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I want to wear my ring on my right but after my pregnancy, my fingers haven't gone back to their pre-pregnancy size. My right side happens to be my "bigger" side (as we all have one side that is slightly bigger than the other down to the shoe size). Hubby wears his on his right, I wish I could wear mine there as well.

Isn't the right hand of Christ associated with blessings as well?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JuvenalyMartinka

Chrismated: 11.04.07
Sep 6, 2004
Fresno, CA
✟603.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes this is also true.

Why in the Orthodox tradition do we wear the wedding ring on the right hand? (Feb. ’02)
It has always been the tradition of the Church to place the wedding ring on the right hand of the couple based on biblical references. This is seen very clearly in one of the prayers in the Betrothal Service, but we don’t hear it in the Antiochian Archdiocese because of the abbreviated service that we use. A portion of the prayer refers to the biblical references: “For You, O Lord, have declared that a pledge is to be given and held inviolate in all things. By a ring Joseph was given might in Egypt; by a ring Daniel was exalted in Babylon; by a ring our heavenly Father showed compassion upon His prodigal son, for He said, ‘Put a ring upon his right hand, kill the fatted calf, and let us eat and rejoice.’ Your own right hand, O Lord, armed Moses in the Red Sea. By word of Your truth were the Heavens established and the earth set upon her sure foundations; and the right hands of Your servants shall be blessed by Your mighty word, and by Your uplifted arm.” As we see, it was scripturally the practice to wear rings on the right hand, the hand of authority and power completing the pledge of commitment. The power and authority comes from the right hand of God.
The practice of wearing rings on the left hand is rooted in superstition that says that there is a vein that goes from the left hand directly to the heart. This medieval superstition, like many others, was brought to America from Western Europe no doubt. Unfortunately, too many people today just follow what the majority in society do without truly understanding its meaning. Hopefully, with education and faith we will maintain the richness and meaningfulness of the Orthodox faith. - From: http://www.antiochian.org/1286

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've seen it on both at my church, but I do agree with others that said it's tradition to wear them on the right hand. We don't. I think it's a US thing or something to wear the rings on the left.

Upvote 0

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I've been thinking about this one, and what to do when I get married.

At the moment, I have a silver ring that has sentimental value to me on my right ring finger, and my engagement ring on my left, and I like having a ring on each finger. So maybe I'll just keep doing that - wedding ring on my right hand, engagement on my left.

I span two cultures at the moment anyway - the anglo girl in a very ethnic greek church, so it's probably fitting :p

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.