Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Scripture says, Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. Now if you go back to the original language, it doesn't mean the Logos word. It means a Rhema word.

An example of receiving a Rhema from the Lord would be like, your reading your bible and a verse or passage leaps out at you and rings a bell in your mind that it sounds like it is talking directly to me. The passage just inspiers you and the meaning becomes very clear because you have identified a way in which it has application to your very own life. That is receiving a Rhema.

Do you believe that truths are revealed to us through the use of Rhemas? Have you ever received a Rhema from God. I have. I don't think a lot of christians understand it enough to fully believe in them though.

Comments? Questions?

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Scripture says, Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. Now if you go back to the original language, it doesn't mean the Logos word. It means a Rhema word.

An example of receiving a Rhema from the Lord would be like, your reading your bible and a verse or passage leaps out at you and rings a bell in your mind that it sounds like it is talking directly to me. The passage just inspiers you and the meaning becomes very clear because you have identified a way in which it has application to your very own life. That is receiving a Rhema.

Do you believe that truths are revealed to us through the use of Rhemas? Have you ever received a Rhema from God. I have. I don't think a lot of christians understand it enough to fully believe in them though.

Comments? Questions?
Yes indeed I believe in the rhema as well as the logos.
Now I never heard the term rhema expressed in the plural.

But the living very personal word (rhema) of God saved my life.

We could think of it as God expressing His speaking expressly to a person.
Ie. The word of Jehovah came expressly to Ezekiel the priest, the son of Buzi, . . . and the hand of Jehovah was upon him there. (Ezek. 1:3)

I talked to a young woman who had been reading the book of Job.
She told me at times she felt that someone had been watching her!
I have no idea what verses made her feel this. But for certain she came into contact with the rhema - God speaking expressly to her life.

At critical junctures of my life when extremly personal direction was sorely needed, in the Bible the light of the rhema of
God's word came to me. This really should not at all be a rare event. We should cultivate a regular seeking for words of God
to come expressly to our lives. It is not always so earth shaking. But it is washing, refreshing, and enlightening shining a light to our path.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Comments? Questions?

Back in the 1st century, gaining faith in Christ usually was catalyzed by hearing the Gospel being preached rather than actually reading about it.

So sure. Rhemas are part of the program.

Reactions: Divide
Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Many times people will poo poo things that people said that was revealed to them by the Holy Spirit. I've actually read the back and forth, well the Spirit revealed that to me, well I have the Holy Spirit and He just said you are wrong! Because people are sometimes terrified that they will listen to a false prophet and be deceived. It's sorta hard to prove Rhemas exist (it's a personal thing from God) but the more we know about them and understand them, the more we can start recognizing and using such messages to our benefit.

I can hear it now, It's not in the bible! But it is. There is the Logos which is the written word of God, and there is Rhemas which is the spoken word of God.

And even though I've read it a hundred times, I never seen it before today when I read it again. It is an example of someone receiving a Rhema in scripture! See if you agree with me:

Mark 5:25-34
25 Now a certain woman had a flow of blood for twelve years, 26 and had suffered many things from many physicians. She had spent all that she had and was no better, but rather grew worse. 27 When she heard about Jesus, she came behind Him in the crowd and touched His garment. 28 For she said, “If only I may touch His clothes, I shall be made well.”

29 Immediately the fountain of her blood was dried up, and she felt in her body that she was healed of the [f]affliction. 30 And Jesus, immediately knowing in Himself that power had gone out of Him, turned around in the crowd and said, “Who touched My clothes?”

31 But His disciples said to Him, “You see the multitude thronging You, and You say, ‘Who touched Me?’ ”

32 And He looked around to see her who had done this thing. 33 But the woman, fearing and trembling, knowing what had happened to her, came and fell down before Him and told Him the whole truth. 34 And He said to her, “Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace, and be healed of your affliction.”.../NKJV

In verse 27, when she heard about Jesus...(there it is!) she got quickened in spirit and inspired to the truth of, if only I even touch His clothes I will be healed. So she stepped out in aith and crawled up to Him and touched Him!

Jesus didn't have to interview her or even look at her, Jesus was looking the other way and the girl reached out and snatched her healing! She fulfilles the elemts of faith so the power of the Kingdom of God healed her. She received a Rhema when she 'heard about Jesus'. I bet she got excited. The thought of all I have to do is go touch Jesus and I will be (finally) healed was receiving a Rhema from God. And she acted on that faith and truth so she was was healed.

I think that's a good example of someone actually receiving a rhema from God in scripture. Do you agree? If not, why not?

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We could think of it as God expressing His speaking expressly to a person.
Ie. The word of Jehovah came expressly to Ezekiel the priest, the son of Buzi, . . . and the hand of Jehovah was upon him there. (Ezek. 1:3)

I talked to a young woman who had been reading the book of Job.
She told me at times she felt that someone had been watching her!
I have no idea what verses made her feel this. But for certain she came into contact with the rhema - God speaking expressly to her life.

There you go! That's is another fine example of a Rhema in scripture. They're prolly all over now, lol.

Is Job a good book to be reading when receiving a Rhema? Yikes! Take cover!.

Rhema is personal, expressly to the individual.

So that would include Rhema's happening other places than in the word? Did you ever get a funny feeling that, you better turn right here? So you do and miss the accident that you would have been in. Or I have a feeling I shouldn't go on this plane, I'll reschedule for tomorrow. And the plane crashes? I believe those are Rhema's too. The Lord whispering into your ear.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Back in the 1st century, gaining faith in Christ usually was catalyzed by hearing the Gospel being preached rather than actually reading about it.

So sure. Rhemas are part of the program.

Absolutely. I thought that for so long that hearing preaching and teaching were Rhema's. And the way that happens is the preacher will say something directly to your heart and it hits home.

We see it sometimes on the board. A Christian will say something and a unbeliever reads it and receives a Rhema in his spirit about it and many times they get mad and take offense then, lol.

There's small percentage of people who I think don't believe in things of the spirit so much and just chalk it up to oh that was me thinking. I wonder if this is the still small voice of God speaking to a person? (And they say, God don't talk to me many times.) People need to believe in Rhema's and understand what just happened. Bring it into spiritual perspective.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Absolutely. I thought that for so long that hearing preaching and teaching were Rhema's. And the way that happens is the preacher will say something directly to your heart and it hits home.

We see it sometimes on the board. A Christian will say something and a unbeliever reads it and receives a Rhema in his spirit about it and many times they get mad and take offense then, lol.

There's small percentage of people who I think don't believe in things of the spirit so much and just chalk it up to oh that was me thinking. I wonder if this is the still small voice of God speaking to a person? (And they say, God don't talk to me many times.) People need to believe in Rhema's and understand what just happened. Bring it into spiritual perspective.

Yes, sometimes it's some of that. And fortunately for us today, we have so many tools available by which to avail ourselves and study the concepts that God placed into the world through His prophets and apostles. One good place we can all start in understanding the meaning and range of usage of "ῥῆμα" is to start with a concordance and see how the word is used in various places in the Scriptures.

Then we can move on to further understanding by applying contextual meanings gained from reading the Bible in a wider, exegetical manner.

Upvote 0

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟47,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Comments? Questions?
It doesn't matter what word is used, whether "rhema" or "logos" or a different word.

For example, Romans 8:16 says, "The Spirit Himself bears witness (συμμαρτυρέω) with our spirit that we are children of God". συμμαρτυρέω means, "to provide confirming evidence by means of a testimony". [Louw Nida Greek-English lexicon]

Notice that the Scripture is saying that God Himself provides confirming evidence by way of a testimony directly from His Spirit to ours. When we trust what He is saying, our sonship becomes real to us. In all ways, trusting the Lord as He leads, guides, directs, teaches, corrects, and comforts us from the depths of our own hearts is the key to living a successful Christian life.

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would contribute that you don't have to know what rhema is in order to receive it.
What you need is an open heart to God as a Person.

An open heart may be a heart that is willing to be changed.
A rigid heart that is not willing to be changed may hinder ability to receive God's instant speaking.
Yet He is also merciful. And all of us have areas in our lives in which we feel no need for God's interference.

We can speak to others in spirit and they may receive a rhema word from the Holy Spirit.
We may not be aware of how the rhema spoke to them unless they tell us latter.

In speaking the gospel to people or teaching the Bible usually rely and want
God to turn some logos word into a rhema word expressly to the hearer.
This too infuses faith into people. This imparts a believing ability to people.

By praying over the words of the Bible with an open heart much logos can turned into God's express and personal
speaking to our lives. This can happen individually as well as collectively.

It is very subjective to receive the rhema of the word.
And if we walk in the light we receive we will receive more light.

I think God will not often waste His light if He know we will not receive it.
He has a way to arrange our circumstances to give us the incentive to listen more closely.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So that would include Rhema's happening other places than in the word? Did you ever get a funny feeling that, you better turn right here? So you do and miss the accident that you would have been in. Or I have a feeling I shouldn't go on this plane, I'll reschedule for tomorrow. And the plane crashes? I believe those are Rhema's too. The Lord whispering into your ear.
I would rather refer to the Lord's leading His people outside the rhema word as perhaps "the teaching of the anointing"
which First John refers to.

And you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know. (1 John 2:20)

There is a moving around of the Third Person of the Triune God leading, teaching the believer the true.

And as for you, the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you have no need that anyone teach you; but as His anointing teaches you concerning all things and is true and is not a lie, and even as it has taught you, abide in Him. (1 John 2:27)

This living anointing ever teaches the Christian to abide in Jesus.
In Jesus there is life and peace. If we follow the anointing the inner sense is life and peace.

For example Paul had no rest in his innermost spiritual being because the anointing within him insisted that he know where
his brother Titus was.

Furthermore, when I came to Troas for the gospel of Christ and a door was open to me in the Lord,
I had no rest in my spirit, for I did not find Titus my brother; but taking leave of them, I went forth into Macedonia. (2 Cor. 2:12,13)

Paul pioneeredto evelop an exeedingly sensative and keen sense of the inner anointing.
Though God had put an open door for him to preach the gospel outwardly he didn't act on this.
Rather the restless sense in his spirit was his guide.

I think it was not a word from the Scriptures that was his motivation.
Rather an inner keen sense that he was not perfectly at rest in his spirit because his brother Titus was not there.

On the positive side, to be refreshed in the innermost spirit is due to going along with the anointing.
His spirit was renewed and refreshed when he received some fellow believers.

For they refreshed my spirit and yours. Acknowledge therefore such ones. (1 Cor. 16:18)

His spirit would be refreshed if Philemon would be in one accord with him in a difficult situation.

Yes, brother, may I have profit from you in the Lord; refresh my inward parts in Christ. (Philemon 20)

I like these two examples because they show how the anointing is so intimately related to the Body life.
It is not only a matter of individual leading. It is also a matter of peace between and among the brothers.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I would be dead if I didn't listen to rhemas.
God has been speaking to me with words outside the bible for more than 60 years, starting before I knew anything about the cross.

I am retired now, but when I was in business, the Lord constantly led my decisions with rhema words and visions.

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
An example of receiving a Rhema from the Lord would be like, your reading your bible and a verse or passage leaps out at you and rings a bell in your mind that it sounds like it is talking directly to me.
Sure I agree with that. But people can go overboard with it. You can teach people the word of God and they say they can see it and understand what you're saying....But it's not a Rhema to me. That's my problem with people always saying that. You can be teaching the Bible on anything. How we're to walk in LOVE towards each other as Christians....so what if they say well it's not a rhema to me....so I'm justified to stay in my strife or discontent. That's where that

type of teaching can go way too far. Yes God points out things we've never seen in the scriptures....has done it with me all my life.....but when you see something in the Bible you don't have to wait for some special almost mysterious sense that you see something now. Don't wait for that. Just believe and accept the word, and act upon it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sure I agree with that. But people can go overboard with it. You can teach people the word of God and they say they can see it and understand what you're saying....But it's not a Rhema to me.

Well, reading the word of God is like looking into a mirror. And a Rhema which may come to me may not be a rrhema to you because it speaks of a different image in the mirror, and perhaps you don't have the same problem where it would speak to you?

You may have received a Rhema from reading God's word at least a couple times, right?

Going overboard with it means what? They read God's word so much that they get rhemas all the time? I bet those who do not read God's word never receive any rhemas!

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
type of teaching can go way too far. Yes God points out things we've never seen in the scriptures....has done it with me all my life.....but when you see something in the Bible you don't have to wait for some special almost mysterious sense that you see something now. Don't wait for that. Just believe and accept the word, and act upon it.

What are you talking about? Nobody said you wait. I said you read! And you don't have to wait for a rhema to come to you. If it;s there it will hit you. Rhemas many times will convict us from something in our life. And we go, uh yeah thats me. But who knows what your problem areas are in life? You wouldn't receive a Rhema about being a drunkard if you don't drink and so forth like that. The word of God speaks to us all and seems to cover all that is common to man. So I don't think it's about overdoing it. It's about doing it enough!

Rhemas you ask? No! Reading the word of God. Everyday read 3 chapters. It takes a year to read it cover to cover. It takes me about 10 to 15 minutes per morning to read 3 chapters, lol.

The Holy Spirit is promised to lead us into all truth. The primary way that God speaks to people is through His Word with His Holy Spirit. Three chapters a day is not a lot. But if people do not read their bible then no wonder they can not hear the Lord speaking to them.

I was praying to the Lord with a question and I didnt get an answer. SO I kept praying. I got sort of preoccupied with it because I wanted an answer and thought I could simply pray it through. I hadnt read my bible in that two weeks I was just praying a lot. So I realized that it's been a little while since I did any reading in the word. I got out my bible and just kinda flopped it open on the table to begin reading and the first thing my eyes looked at on that scripture page answered my question that I had been praying about! First time. I didn't open that bible to my answer, the Lord did. That was a Rhema too.

Reactions: Francis Drake
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also, "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Heb 4:12

• Winner
Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Also, "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Heb 4:12

Good scripture. That's how the mirror works. It will penetrate you if you read the word. It is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. We already know that the heart is more deceitful and wicked than anyone can know.

Upvote 0