Marriage rights regardless of sexuality: UCC only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
In 2005 at the 25th General Synod, the UCC adopted a resolution calling for equal marriage rights regardless of gender. The UCC is the first mainline protestant church to affirm equal marriage rights. However, the Congregationalist organization of the UCC means that this resolution is not binding for individual congregations. It is instead a call for all congregations to prayerfully study and consider adopting a policy of marrying persons regardless of their gender. It is also a call for political support for marriage equality. The following is a press release made after the vote to pass this resolution. This press statement can also be found here.

In support of equal marriage rights for all. (Two proposals merged;passed as amended) Affirms equal marriage rights for couples regardless of gender and affirms equal access for all persons to the basic rights, institutional protections and quality of life conferred by the recognition of marriage. Also, calls on congregations to prayerfully consider adopting wedding policies that do not discriminate against gay or lesbian couples. Asks all settings of the church to urge legislative support for marriage equality. Asks local congregations to prayerfully discuss and study marriage equality. Recognizes that the UCC is not of one mind on this issue and understands that discussions will be difficult.

The full text resolution itself can be found here. A browser capable of reading pdf files is required.

This resolution is in keeping with the UCC’s long standing commitment to inclusion of all peoples and reflects common scriptural interpretation among UCC congregations. The following is a short excerpt from the resolution text; it briefly outlines these interpretations.

In the Gospel we find ground for a definition of marriage and family relationships based on affirmation of the full humanity of each partner, lived out in mutual care and respect for one another…The biblical call to justice and compassion (to love one’s neighbor as one’s self) provides the mandate for marriage equality. Justice as right relationship seeks both personal and communal well being. It is embodied in interpersonal relationships and institutional structures, including marriage. Justice seeks to eliminate marginalization for reasons of race, gender, sexual orientation or economic status.

To all my fellow UCCers, what is your position on this resolution? Since we are, as you know, congregationalists, this resolution is not binding for your congregation or for you personally. Let's abide by it however and prayerfully discuss and study this issue.

To anyone NOT a part of the UCC, please refrain from debating but feel free to ask prayerfull, polite and sincere questions. Anyone interested in a brief history of the UCC it can be found here.

Thanks, God bless.

Motherof3

Apr 11, 2006
✟15,182.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
I am absolutely blessed to be a part of the UCC. I agree w/the stance that the UCC has taken & I support the General Synod 100%. I'm not sure where our congregation stands on this issue. We haven't discussed it as a group yet. We've been having our hands busied by trying to search for a new pastor for the past 3 years. That has taken presedence, but I do feel that it's an issue we need to discuss now that our pastor has been found.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.