Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Driscoll & Brierley on Women in Leadership « Cognitive Discopants

picard-facepalm.jpg

Why? Why does he say such utterly ridiculous things? I don't understand how things like this happen.

"Driscoll: You don’t have one. You don’t have one young guy who can preach the Bible that anybody’s listening to on the whole earth."

Because apparently preachers have to be young. That qualification is garbage, and there are plenty of wonderful British theologians, some of whom are world-famous and almost universally respected throughout Christendom. What Driscoll means to say is "You don't have any clones of me".

"Driscoll: So, in the church that your wife pastors, how many young men have come to Christ in the last year?"

Because young men are the only ones who matter.

"Brierley: … Up to the point my wife took over, it had been run by men. Since she’s come, lots of new families, lots of younger people, both men and women, have come. I wouldn’t say the balance is right perfect yet by any means. But it’s certainly a lot better than it ever was. And so I don’t necessarily see quite the same situation that you paint there in terms of men not relating. I see more men in the church since she’s been there than before she was there, in a way.

Driscoll: What kind of men? Strong men?"

And only men who fit Driscoll's weird vision of masculinity seem to matter.

And my favorite is this:

"Driscoll: No, no, you don’t want to sit in my seat, I understand. So does your wife do counseling with men? Sexual counseling? Does she talk about masturbation, inappropriate contentography, the stuff that I do?

Brierley: Well no, she doesn’t.

Driscoll: Well, who does talk to the men about those things, especially the young men?

Brierley: Well there are other people that she can pass them on to. We have male elders in our church who, you know, would be able to tackle those kinds of questions. I mean, but would you speak with those kinds of issues to a female in your church?

Driscoll: Uh no. If they’re a married couple we might meet with them as a couple. But if it’s a woman, we would have women leaders meet with them.

Brierley: Sure, well it’s the same scenario in our church really.

Driscoll: Well except for who’s in charge."

That doesn't even make sense. Driscoll just got schooled, so he's going to pretend that Brierley's church is a failure for having the same setup as Driscoll's church in regards to sexuality counseling just because the roles of pastor/elder are reversed.

Honestly, I liked Driscoll when I first heard of him, for about 1 month. I honestly think he does a lot of damage, and it never ceases to amaze me what a following he has garnered. Your thoughts?

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Driscoll is a grotesque ogre. That anyone takes him seriously at all is simultaneously amazing and frightening.

But, gotta hand it to him, he's managed to create a decent sized cult up there in Seattle.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Incariol

Apr 22, 2011
✟7,523.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Driscoll is a grotesque ogre. That anyone takes him seriously at all is simultaneously amazing and frightening.

Precisely my thought.

But, gotta hand it to him, he's managed to create a decent sized cult up there in Seattle.

-CryptoLutheran

Depressingly true...

Upvote 0

99percentatheism

Jul 8, 2011
✟1,693.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Democrat
Just write the guy off and move on to a more worthwhile Pastor.

You find him in the "who?" section of the Chuirch. Just look for the Christians that just leave after Church when service is over without having their photo taken with the guy.

And you'll find those Christians in the "never had any worries about that neighbor" section of the block you live on.

Upvote 0