Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟870,015.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I've never heard a good explanation of Jesus' teaching in Mark 3:28-30, regarding blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Is there a certain Orthodox teaching about what these verses mean?

I read somewhere once that this unforgiveable sin includes blasphemy against the work of the Spirit. If that is true (?), then since (I think) the Orthodox say that Holy Tradition is the work of the Spirit, could a heterodox person be guilty of this blasphemy if they question (not necessarily attack) Holy Tradition?

I'm really looking for possible answers/comments, not debate, but somehow the question seemed to me to belong in this forum.

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You can look it up in your library but this excerpt is taken from St. Symeon the new Theologian as he dedicates a chapter on the Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit in his book called "The Discources" published by the Paulist press and the series of Classics in Western Spirituality.

"Blasphemy against the HS is to attribute His operations to the oppostite spirit, as says Basil the Great. How does one do this? Whenever one sees miracles brought about by the Holy Ghost or any of the other divine gifts in any of his breathen-that is compunction, of trears, or humility , or divine knowldge, or a word of wisodom from on high, or anything else that is bestowed by the Holy Ghost on those who love God and says that this come from the deciet of the devil.But he also blasphemes against the Holy Ghost who works in them who says that those who as sons of God are led by the divine Spirit (Rm 8.14) and perform the commandments of their God and Father, are being deceived by demons....."

Other themes he refers to on the same subject are: The impiety of denying the effects of Grace, penitence -the way of the Holy Ghost, ...

Actually Symeon's following chapter is about the partaking of the Holy Spirit which is as important.

Hope that helped a bit.

Upvote 0

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Blessed Theophylact (11th c.) comments as follows in his commentary on St. Mark's Gospel:

"What He is saying here is this: whatever other sin a man may commit, he will perhaps have some excuse and obtain forgiveness, since God is forbearing with human weakness. For example, when they said that the Lord was a glutton and a drunkard and a friend of publicans and sinners, they will be forgiven for this. But when they see Him working extraordinary miracles and then blaspheme the Holy Spirit, that is, blaspheme the miracles that took place through the Holy Spirit, how will they then obtain forgiveness, unless they repent? For when they took offense at what Christ did in the flesh, they were forgiven this even without repenting, for what they saw scandalized them as men. But when they say Him doing the works of God and STILL blasphemed, how will they be forgiven while remaining unrepentant?"

I take this to mean that God, being merciful, understands that often faith is mixed with doubt, and often we are asked to believe without seeing. Those who don't believe without seeing may, like Thomas, be forgiven at God's mercy.

However, those who refuse to believe even when they see the signs of the Holy Spirit in front of them... well, there's no hope for them until they repent because, as it stands, their heart is too hard even to accept what is in front of their eyes. If they are too stubborn to accept their own senses, how could they possibly commune with the love of God? It is an unforgivable sin because there's no excuse for it. That doesn't mean they can't repent of it and then recieve forgiveness, but there are other sins that God may forgive us of even if we fail to repent, simply because He is merciful.

I'm inclined to agree with him - though I am, of course, open to correction. It seems like a reading of the passage that is consistent with the God that I know and the situation these individuals were in.

In Christ,
Macarius

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I agree with Makarius that in a sense we are "unbelievers" if we insist on not recognizing the work of the Holy Spirit. In general it is like denying God as active in the universe and in our lives and the lives of others. Not recognizing a miracle, or a virtue or a good work ... we fail to give respect to the Spirit of God. Or sometimes if jelousy overcomes us and we "doubt" someone's gift ...then we do deny and blaspheme against the Holy Spirit...

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Also if Holy Tradition is an account of the Holy Spirit work in the world one can see that as blasphemy against the work of the Holy Spirit but... the HS is working in the whole creation not only the Holy Tradition. It "blows wherever it pleases" so if we deny its working in the world in general then we do deny its presence....even outside the Tradition... I hope that helped...

Upvote 0

kamalayka

Dec 6, 2009
✟15,218.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Jesus was not actually accusing the Jews of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit; rather, He was warning them.

There is one example in Scripture of this sin:

Acts 5:
1Now a man named Ananias, together with his wife Sapphira, also sold a piece of property. 2With his wife's full knowledge he kept back part of the money for himself, but brought the rest and put it at the apostles' feet. 3Then Peter said, "Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land? 4Didn't it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn't the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied to men but to God."
5When Ananias heard this, he fell down and died. And great fear seized all who heard what had happened. 6Then the young men came forward, wrapped up his body, and carried him out and buried him.
7About three hours later his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8Peter asked her, "Tell me, is this the price you and Ananias got for the land?"
"Yes," she said, "that is the price."
9Peter said to her, "How could you agree to test the Spirit of the Lord? Look! The feet of the men who buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out also."
10At that moment she fell down at his feet and died. Then the young men came in and, finding her dead, carried her out and buried her beside her husband. 11Great fear seized the whole church and all who heard about these events.

What happened to them? They died instantly.

If you were to commit true blasphemy against the Holy Spirit (which is something most never even have a chance to do), you would literally drop dead instantly.

Is your heart still tickin'?

Then your not guilty of this sin.

Upvote 0