Nov 29, 2012
LA, Cali
Visit site
✟17,054.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you think smoking it for medical purposes is a sin? I know alot of people that say they are Christian and smoke it and feel like it is not a sin. What do you think? I used to smoke it everyday but I quit like 3 months ago but I relapsed and took 1 hit today....... I want to know the truth so I can tell people and so that I never smoke it again If it is inherently evil. I know the bible tells us to be sober and vigilant but Jesus drank wine and A little wine or a beer wont get you intoxicated just relaxed. I figured it would be like the same thing if I take one puff of weed what do you guys think?

Jenny30

Dec 21, 2012
✟7,751.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, I think it's a good thing that you are asking, but yes it is a sin...The Bible states that are body is a holy temple, so we should not be putting drugs inc. marijuana into our systems and although you said that it is not bad for you, please guess again, YES IT IS: Long-term marijuana use may actually shrink certain parts of the brain and have lasting effects on mental health. A new study shows heavy marijuana use over several years was associated with structural differences in at least two different regions of the brain, the hippocampus and amygdala.
Researchers found that the hippocampus, which is thought to regulate memory, was an average of 12% smaller among marijuana users, compared with people who didn't smoke pot. The amygdala, involved in emotion and memory, was an average of 7% smaller.

And I have proof for this, my uncle smoked marijuana since he was 15 and he isn't all there, it's really sad.
Hope this helps. :)

Upvote 0

manitouscott

Oct 20, 2012
Colorado
✟8,663.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I used to drink everyday before Christ became my Lord. Do you think it would be a sin if I drank a beer?

What I think is, if I was being open to the leading and convicting of the Holy Spirit, I would KNOW that for me, to drink at all is a BAD idea. Sin or no Sin, why are you trying to get away with it at all if it may rule your life once more.

Hope you pray about this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Real Eyez

Need prayer and encouragement
Nov 29, 2012
LA, Cali
Visit site
✟17,054.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, I think it's a good thing that you are asking, but yes it is a sin...The Bible states that are body is a holy temple, so we should not be putting drugs inc. marijuana into our systems and although you said that it is not bad for you, please guess again, YES IT IS: Long-term marijuana use may actually shrink certain parts of the brain and have lasting effects on mental health. A new study shows heavy marijuana use over several years was associated with structural differences in at least two different regions of the brain, the hippocampus and amygdala.
Researchers found that the hippocampus, which is thought to regulate memory, was an average of 12% smaller among marijuana users, compared with people who didn't smoke pot. The amygdala, involved in emotion and memory, was an average of 7% smaller.

And I have proof for this, my uncle smoked marijuana since he was 15 and he isn't all there, it's really sad.
Hope this helps. :)
Thats scary a lot of people I know smoke every single day yikes. and thats what I used to do. Yea I think its best for a Christian to not do it, I mean, it definitely puts you in some paranoid, disconnected state. And then you turn happy and relaxed but your head stays cloudy. Im not gonna lie I tried some today because I found some old weed and I gave in to sin like an idiot but I know I need to not do it anymore because it aint easy to pray after smoking weed and Its not good for a relationship with God thats what I think. If anyone would care to pray for me and my walk with Jesus that would be helpful......

Upvote 0

Real Eyez

Nov 29, 2012
LA, Cali
Visit site
✟17,054.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I used to drink everyday before Christ became my Lord. Do you think it would be a sin if I drank a beer?

What I think is, if I was being open to the leading and convicting of the Holy Spirit, I would KNOW that for me, to drink at all is a BAD idea. Sin or no Sin, why are you trying to get away with it at all if it may rule your life once more.

Hope you pray about this.

Your completely right it is addicting just like drinkin and it was a habit for me before and I dont want to get back in that habit.

Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What do you think?

Paul says that eating meat that has been sacrificed to idols is not inherently a sin, but if it causes a weaker brother to sin, then it is.

1. Is it a sin for you?
2. Will others be encouraged to sin?
3. Does it glorify the Lord?
4. Is it the best use of your time?

There is a lot of anti-marijuana advertising that is laughable. However, there was one ad I saw that was very accurate. It showed a young man in his room talking to the camera and saying that he had been smoking marijuana for ten years and it had not affected him one bit. He was still the same as he was ten years ago.

Then you hear his mother's voice off camera asking if he had gone out to look for a job today. He quickly tried to wave the smoke smell out of a window. The image was stark, he was no different that he was ten years earlier, he was a 25 year old 15 year old.

Marijuana is like a time machine except that it is one way, only goes to the future, and when you get there, you are older.

The Christian life is not supposed to be about finding a list of rules and trying to squirm around them. The Pharisees had mastered that. The Christian needs to learn how to walk by the Spirit, grow in love and truth, and become like Jesus.

Upvote 0

LaidBack78

Jan 8, 2013
✟15,145.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think smoking it for medical purposes is a sin? I know alot of people that say they are Christian and smoke it and feel like it is not a sin. What do you think? I used to smoke it everyday but I quit like 3 months ago but I relapsed and took 1 hit today....... I want to know the truth so I can tell people and so that I never smoke it again If it is inherently evil. I know the bible tells us to be sober and vigilant but Jesus drank wine and A little wine or a beer wont get you intoxicated just relaxed. I figured it would be like the same thing if I take one puff of weed what do you guys think?

I use to smoke weed almost everyday, and now I feel it is definitely a sin, at least it is for me. Here's why. First, as christians we are to obey the authorities over us. Just that simple fact alone makes it a sin, because marijuana is illegal at the moment, at least where I live. 2, I was dependent on weed to make me happy. I was miserable without it. When I didn't have it, I longed for it. In this sense, weed was my idol. Since we are not to worship idols, this again makes it a sin for me. So if your circumstances are anything like mine, I would say yes it is a sin. If it is prescribed to you by a physician for a legit medical reason, then maybe it's not in that case but I really don't know. I choose not to smoke it anymore because I do feel like it's a sin, and also because I think it negatively affected my life. Hope this helps you.

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Weed is really bad for you. Part of the mechanism of neural plasticity (the ability of our brain to learn) involves cannabinoid neurotransmitters. The natural ones act in the synapses in a couple of milliseconds and are cut up and taken away by enzymes, but the ones from pot get in there and overwhelm your normal brain function, and those enzymes aren't capable of getting rid of them. It takes many weeks for them to be completely eliminated, and during that time your brain's maturation is hindered.

That's why you have 50 year old dopeheads who, in a lot of ways, still seem to be teenagers. I'm glad I got clean when I was 26, and looking at my friends who still smoke makes me even more glad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kpfru2

Feb 16, 2013
✟7,692.00
Faith
Christian
smoked for 4 years straight before becoming a christian, and it is a psycological drug. Is it a sin?
A)well we are told to obey the law, so its breaking that instruction.
B)we will not be mastered by anything, weed definately has that effect, you think you'll have 1 or 2, then another 1 or 2 the next week then maybe another the next day because your around it, then suddenly your hooked back on it.
C)But the biggest thing for me was, I had told my mum and dad that I had stopped, (its a terrible drug, just makes you tired and generally makes life quality lower) and God, and when i did it again, i felt bad because i'd told the 2 most important people and God that i wouldn't smoke it, and not only lied to them all but let down my promise to God. So do the people smokeing it do it openly, and are open with everyone the know about it? if not then i'd be very hesitant in justifying it. If your trying to hide it from any person, your not being honest, don't think that is a good idea.

when it is for chronic illness and perscribed by doctor and you have prayed about it and its the only thing for pain relief then i can't see it being a sin, as long as it doesnt affect your relationship with God.

But another thing weed does is make you hungry, then your more likely to over eat and that is most definately a sin, Do you know where in a spiritual war? i just wouldn't be game enough to smoke because of the state of mind it puts you in but im sure some people would be different.

At the end of the day He made the plant so i don't see the use of it is generally a sin, but its against the law other then perscribed, so its really a matter of circumstance.

For pleasure then yes, i'd class it as a sin, or atleast a gateway to multiple other sins.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Sin is about your relationship with God and man. Picture yourself in a conversation with God, while rationalizing or defending your right to do something.

You need to keep this between God and you. I don't mean silence, but whether you feel clean and whole, robed in white in His presence. Jesus has paid the price for redemption; so where are you going to take it from here? What great things can God do through you? What can you do to be ready and welcome Him, respect His indwelling?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Happy to help

Feb 19, 2013
United States-New Jersey
✟7,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are you failing if you use marijuana for medication? No. The Lord put certain plants on earth on purpose so that man would extract the good parts of the plants to heal the people. The Lord gave science to man to teach him to properly process them for the good of people. The devil though taught man, to use these narcotics for wrong. All things have an order or measure. The devil uses what is for good, for bad. Sinning is the way you manage the plant. Like going over gods measure.

Upvote 0

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is it inherently wrong? No. But marijuana is illegal in most states in the US, so it would be a sin to smoke it in those states. Medical marijuana is fine, but most users have the wrong intentions. If you do feel pain and want something that won't kill your liver, then MM is a legitimate drug.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
It is disturbing to me that there are enough Christians who use marijuana daily, that they sway each others' opinion on it. They declare God approved it because they said so.

I don't spend money on Starbuck's, or convenience store sodas, or fast food except in unusual circumstances. Wanting something doesn't mean I need to get it. These expenses are reserved for times that the convenience is necessary, or it creates a meeting space.

Carrying on a lifestyle where money is spent on everything you feel like having can accumulate over the years.

Look at the age bracket you are talking about. This (profile) is the sameage bracket with the highest purchases of expensive games, and the highest unemployment rate. Do these realities match up well? It sounds like overconfidence is getting the best of people.

This is also an age bracket where many people have babies, or visit friends with children. Are these kids being exposed to second-hand smoke? How different is marijuana smoke from tobacco, or lead paint dust... can you be certain it is harmless when subjecting others to it...

We hear news stories where children were in house fires or otherwise endangered because their parents were under the influence. I can think of two incidents where college students died in their off-campus houses because they did stupid things under the influence.

It's not a simple sin:vs:no sin issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
For medical use I don't see it as a sin, but I am also agreeing that there also is a question of intention. For instance, someone might have a medical condition where they have a choice in prescriptions, but choose marijuana to get high rather than for pain control, that is abusive. Remember, there are narcotics used for pain control as well. Outside of medical use they can be easily abused.

Just an FYI though...you don't need to smoke marijuana to have the same effect. You can also inhale vapors (not as dangerous).

Personally I've never used it and have no intention to. I just wish the government saw the distinction between marijuana and industrial hemp, but they don't.

Upvote 0

asiyreh

God is salvation
Mar 14, 2012
Ireland
✟9,457.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If the Holy Spirit is telling you to give it up and you don't you must be prepared for the inevitable karmatic whipage that the Lord will permit in your life.

It's not great and it doesn't seem fair but we must try and move to the path that the Holy Spirit lays before us. Once you do this things will all fall into place nicely. Go back to the vomit and prepare for whippage!

And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? "My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives." It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline?
(Heb 12:5-7)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If your not supposed to intake drugs according to the bible, then why are we allowed medicines? Is that a sin too?
God gave us medicine and doctors to treat conditions. Some Christians may disagree with me on that), but in terms of illegal drugs or those that you take when you do not need them ( like abusing legal medicine is bad).

Upvote 0

Real Eyez

Nov 29, 2012
LA, Cali
Visit site
✟17,054.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Greetings in Jesus Christ!

I believe you will find the following discussion in the following thread of interest, just copy and paste:

christianforums.com/t7727217-3/#post62546891

Blessings!

thanks for the link but I think that a christian should not use cannabis unless they absolutely need it. And that is from personal experience. It messes up the christian walk and makes it easier to sin. When you get high just to get high. The bible does say to be sober and vigilant so... I would just say that. But weed does open you up to thinking in different ways. and possibly understanding God more but I thonk it is best to stay away from it. Unless you need it for your health. (which God can heal) instead of covering it up with medical marijuana.

Upvote 0

TikataEx

Mar 8, 2013
✟7,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would agree it's a sin. I'm a brand new christian as well, but I think the message God is trying to say is treat your body super well. Although, I come from the same situation you are in. I got off of it really quick as I am a very new christian and it has led me in the right direction. On a more physiological and psychological level, it throws your life out of balance (no where near as much as alcohol or other drugs, but still enough to throw your natural appetite out of balance and that really messes up your moods and such) and you really aren't the best person you can be if you use it, I think. I have to give a lot of credit to pot as it is really what brought me to Christianity as bad as that might sound. I've struggled with more serious drugs my whole life and stopped when I finally woke up and realized that they are ruining my life. But then, I always remembered people saying that pot doesn't ruin lives and I thought I needed something cause I was never happy without something. I felt like my brain was different and all. So I started to smoke weed. But man, it really made me think and brought me to such a strong spiritual level that I really started to open my heart until I got the message from God and became a Christian. But with that message also came a realization that I need to stop the pot too and saw how it was messing with my life in negative way. So I've stopped. I really feel it could be used for medicinal purposes for depression and anxiety, but like all things, if you are abusing it, then you are doing evil with it I feel. I guess only you know if it's a sin or not. You say it's medicinal, and by all legal means, I won't question that. But are you really using it to treat something that your life depends on for? I guess what I'm trying to say is, what do you feel in your heart? It will tell you what the right decision is :)

Upvote 0