Marital Status
I'm not very well versed on the bible. :sorry:

Are you just starting a topic - or are you thinking about doing so? :scratch:

I myself cannot understand why anyone would want to:

1. Break the law.
2. Abuse their bodies physically.
3. Waste their money.

:doh:

"Acceptable personally"? > you'd have to answer that for yourself.

Me> NO WAY! :eek:

OBTW: Welcome to CF! :wave:

Upvote 0
S

Silent Bob

According to JC...

Mat. 15:10-11 said:
“Listen and understand what I am saying. It is not what people put into their mouths that makes them unclean. It is what comes out of their mouths that makes them unclean.”

About breaking the law... well I don't think that a joint should be against the law.
And as for the psysical abuse. Never forget beer (alcohol) is also a deadly and potent drug which has mind altering effects yet... many christians/doctors/people would say that as long as you do it in moderation you will be fine... for me its the same case with pot (or ecstacy, or coke, or ketamine) do it, if you want, in moderation and be happy.

And for the record drug abuse doesn't always lead to death. Take a look at Keith Richards he is still ALIVE!:eek:

Upvote 0

Anduril

Jan 16, 2005
✟725.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Our body is a temple and should not be abused with drugs. Even occasional usage is a sin and may end up as an addiction which will separate you from God. Addicts lust after worldly things that give them pleasure, their minds have been corrupted and they don't care for the things of God.

1Co 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
1Co 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
Titus 2:12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world.

Upvote 0
S

Silent Bob

their minds have been corrupted and they don't care for the things of God.

Actually it depends on the drug. I have spent countless hours stoned out of my head contemplating about God and engaging in long philosophycal conversations starting at which pokemon would look better on the wall and ending up in admiting that there is a God because.... heck roll another one and thank God for weed!!!

Upvote 0

Pyrogenesis

Weapons Grade
Feb 7, 2005
Snells Beach
✟1,484.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's a fair enough question, there's a lot of debate going on about 'soft' drugs at the moment. The Bible doesn't specifically mention drugs, but then again, it doesn't mention the internet either :). However, the passage mentioned by Anduril (1 Corinthians6:19-20) gives a fair indication that abuse of our bodies in any form is a bad idea. Whether occasional use is alright isn't mentioned, but marijuana is a mind-altering substance, and the Bible frowns upon such.

Don't forget that the Bible also tells us to obey the laws of the land. Marijuana is illegal in most countries, so using it would constitute a violation of direct Biblical law unless you live somewhere where it's legal.

If I had to draw a line, I'd say that the Bible forbids drug use because they're mind altering substances/damage the body, and I know Christians who God has told that they are not to use marijuana.

Sorry, marijuana's off the list. But why use drugs? God gave us adreneline, and snow, and snowboards!... Don't quote me on the snowboard bit :cool:

Upvote 0

Received

True love waits in haunted attics
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Was having this conversation the other day with a friend of mine: if they legalized Marijuana and all non-dangerous hallucenogenic substances -- i.e. mescaline, mushrooms -- and prohibited alcohol, we'd probably live in a much better place.

While I don't do marijuana, I do know many nice people who do. I find nothing dangerous about it so far as my research goes. That's really it. Of course, a life freakin' dedicated to the usage of anything that disallows clear perception of the world isn't something that should, unless you're a flagrant hedonist and find nothing better to do than enjoy yourself without aiding the world. There is a median somewhere, though.

Upvote 0

YWGWYS

just her pet spider
Oct 15, 2004
erzhausen, niedersachsen, germany, europe
Visit site
✟2,067.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Anduril said:
Our body is a temple and should not be abused with drugs. Even occasional usage is a sin and may end up as an addiction which will separate you from God. Addicts lust after worldly things that give them pleasure, their minds have been corrupted and they don't care for the things of God.
why is it, that some of you guys are always making a mountain out of a mole-hill, by lumping everything together?
drugs and addiction are two separate topics.

so doing drugs, even occasionally, means "abuse" of the body as the temple of god?
because it damages this temple?
ok.
what if you eat at mcdonalds occasionally? that food certainly doesn´t any good to your body (the temple of god). but never have i seen a rant like yours against fast food from you.

addiction: people can get addicted to a lot of things, in fact almost everything can be addictive for someone. that doesn´t make the subject of addiction a "bad" thing, not even in the christian doctrine.
you can, e.g., get addicted to sex, but that doesn´t make sex in itself bad for christians, does it?

Upvote 0

Dennis Moore

Redistributor of wealth
Jan 18, 2005
Thirty thousand light-years from Galactic Central
✟16,219.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Lost said:
I myself cannot understand why anyone would want to:

1. Break the law.
The criminalization of marijuana is weak, and will likely be overturned in the next 25 years ... and possibly its illegality in general will be reversed at the same time. The reasons for its initial criminalization were bogus, and enforced with "arguments" like the garbage in Reefer Madness.
2. Abuse their bodies physically.
I am guessing that you do not smoke, drink, eat fast food, carry unneeded weight, etc., etc., etc.?
3. Waste their money.
How so? As a recreational drug, marijuana is no different than spending the money on cigarettes, alcohol, pizza, or ice cream--it's money spent on indulgance, enjoyment, and good feelings. The price of marijuana is a direct result of its criminalization; there was a time when the stiff was practically a weed and grew wild across America.

I've only had marijuana once, because I don't like to take the risk in getting it and it is currently cost-prohibitive; but it was an enjoyable evening, akin to having a few drinks and having a few laughs with friends.

Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

UMP

Aug 16, 2004
✟5,772.00
Faith
Christian
Steve Rogers said:
What does the bible say about using drugs or marijuana more specifically. If it doesnt say anything, would it be acceptable personally or religously

Try to look at it this way. If Jesus Christ came back today would you want to be seen huffing down that 5th hit of Jamaican Gold from your bong ?

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Dennis Moore said:
The criminalization of marijuana is weak, and will likely be overturned in the next 25 years ... and possibly its illegality in general will be reversed at the same time. The reasons for its initial criminalization were bogus, and enforced with "arguments" like the garbage in Reefer Madness.
I am guessing that you do not smoke, drink, eat fast food, carry unneeded weight, etc., etc., etc.?
How so? As a recreational drug, marijuana is no different than spending the money on cigarettes, alcohol, pizza, or ice cream--it's money spent on indulgance, enjoyment, and good feelings. The price of marijuana is a direct result of its criminalization; there was a time when the stiff was practically a weed and grew wild across America.

I've only had marijuana once, because I don't like to take the risk in getting it and it is currently cost-prohibitive; but it was an enjoyable evening, akin to having a few drinks and having a few laughs with friends.

All excellent points. The use of the "body is a temple" argument shows selective use of doctrine to align with a pre-determined agenda. The lack of scrutiny other equally applicable activities (i.e. fast food) shows not that they read scripture first, and then try to apply it to the world, rather there is a stance they take in the real world, then try to support their stance with scripture.

Is the consumption of wine in moderation a sin?

Upvote 0

ScaRZ

Nov 12, 2004
✟297.00
Faith
Christian
Anything that puts you in another frame of mind takes you away from being your true self. It's an act of trying to get away from things,pushing problems away or trying to forget things you have done or wrongs that have been done to you. The high only covers them up for awhile and the hope that they will disappear will only disappoint adding more never less. It's a feel good moment that can blind a man from true emotions and replace them with a falsehood of lies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dennis Moore

Redistributor of wealth
Jan 18, 2005
Thirty thousand light-years from Galactic Central
✟16,219.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
ScaRZ said:
Anything that puts you in another frame of mind takes you away from being your true self.
Good music and a chocolate bar cheer me up when I'm feeling down. Does that make them bad?
It's an act of trying to get away from things,pushing problems away or trying to forget things you have done or wrongs that have been done to you. The high only covers them up for awhile and the hope that they will disappear will only disappoint adding more never less.
Congratulations on that big, broad brush you've got there. It's good to know that someone knows the minds of all those marijuana smokers. Especially my own; and here I was thinking that when I tried marijuana, it was just out of curiosity and the desite to enjoy my evening ... :doh:

Upvote 0

YWGWYS

just her pet spider
Oct 15, 2004
Visit site
✟2,067.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
ScaRZ said:
Anything that puts you in another frame of mind takes you away from being your true self. It's an act of trying to get away from things,pushing problems away or trying to forget things you have done or wrongs that have been done to you. The high only covers them up for awhile and the hope that they will disappear will only disappoint adding more never less. It's a feel good moment that can blind a man from true emotions and replace them with a falsehood of lies.
am i still allowed to go to sleep at night, or does that qualify as "pushing problems away or trying to forget things you have done or wrongs that have been done to you" as well? i mean, sleep "covers them up for awhile", and when i wake up next morning, they are still there, stronger than ever. ;)
oh, those terrible "feel good moments"! :eek:

Upvote 0

YWGWYS

just her pet spider
Oct 15, 2004
Visit site
✟2,067.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
brightlights said:
It's safe to say that recreational, mind-altering substances are a distraction from God. I would even go as far as to say that modern alcoholic drinks are not a good idea either.
what would be the significant difference between "modern" and "ancient" alcoholic drinks, in regards to this standard you have described?

Upvote 0