Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I only just came across this word and the implications of it. Just in one of my daily devotional books. One cannot serve both God and Mammon.

Money should be our servant, not the other way around. I read the sobering thought that it is degrading for any person to become slave to His own slave!

I have a brother whose entire life revolves around making money. He has made loads. But he is spiritually poverty stricken. He denies Gods existence. He and I parted ways years ago, our values and outlook are too different. He has a hard heart. Even when I was facing and coping with my husband's death, this one brother never offered one word of condolence or comfort. I shudder to think of his destiny. All his money will be left behind. He won't marry as he is anxious of losing it. So no love. He is a salutary lesson on how not to live.

I pray for him, much though I find it hard to do so. Does anyone else know of people in their lives who worship Mammon, and how do you deal with it?

Reactions: LionL

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I only just came across this word and the implications of it. Just in one of my daily devotional books. One cannot serve both God and Mammon.

Money should be our servant, not the other way around. I read the sobering thought that it is degrading for any person to become slave to His own slave!

I have a brother whose entire life revolves around making money. He has made loads. But he is spiritually poverty stricken. He denies Gods existence. He and I parted ways years ago, our values and outlook are too different. He has a hard heart. Even when I was facing and coping with my husband's death, this one brother never offered one word of condolence or comfort. I shudder to think of his destiny. All his money will be left behind. He won't marry as he is anxious of losing it. So no love. He is a salutary lesson on how not to live.

I pray for him, much though I find it hard to do so. Does anyone else know of people in their lives who worship Mammon, and how do you deal with it?
There are greedy people all around us sis. We deal with them as with anyone else, i.e., love them unconditionally (without accepting their lifestyle) and hopefully lead them to the Lord. Often God sends unlovable people into our lives just to show us how we'd been to Him, and then He tells us to love them as He'd loved us. Peace in Christ :).

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,283.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Mammon means anything that we do on our own, self sufficiency, without Yahweh. Trusting in mammon instead of Yahweh. Looking to money as the answer instead of Yahweh. Strong's Greek: 3126. μαμμωνᾶς (mamónas) -- riches

I'm sure you'll continue to pray for him. Know it would be hard to forgive him.

Asking Yahweh for the blinders to be removed from his mind and let the wonderful news of Christ shine

. "In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them." II Cor 4:4

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟336,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Mammon is one of the three gods of this world specified in scripture, the other two being Moloch and Baal. Mammon is of the will of the human spirit associated with cultural pride of life. Moloch can be seen as of the flesh and prostitution of emotions (acted out as cruelty) while Baal can be seen as diefication of the mind. Mammon as pride from wealth or importance in governing and mastering other people is a diefication of human will. It's an adoration of degraded will resulting from loss of the true governing principle behind the will of mankind. The cure for it would be in working together and not clinging to rights.

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Mammon means anything that we do on our own, self sufficiency, without Yahweh. Trusting in mammon instead of Yahweh. Looking to money as the answer instead of Yahweh. Strong's Greek: 3126. μαμμωνᾶς (mamónas) -- riches

I'm sure you'll continue to pray for him. Know it would be hard to forgive him.

Asking Yahweh for the blinders to be removed from his eyes. "In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them." II Cor 4:4

Hi
you know what? I had time to browse charity shops mainly for good books, cheap!
So yesterday just before going into one I prayed that I be led to the right books. It saves time! I was led quickly to 'Dethroning Mammon' by Justin Welby! I had downloaded a sample on my Kindle but hesitated as it cost 10 quid. Got for 1.50. Result!

Also quickly found 'Brush up your bible' by Michael Macrone. Also 'I am your father' by Mark Stibbe. Total 3.50. Then I saw two Jehovah's Witnesses standing with their leaflets. I always have a chat. I like to discuss Jesus. I like to see how they do things. I always make it clear I belong to my own Anglican church. But I like JWs, they are nice. However, I found they talk nonstop, quote scripture constantly, and do not really listen. Their way is not for me. But, I like a quick chat.

All in all, it was rare for me to have gone shopping in my own as my partner is always with me. As he is not a believer, yet, I never force it down him. I'm going to lead him to Jesus step by step.
Anyway, God led me to the books I will profit from. Each day is full of little miracles when you ask Jesus to be in charge of your life.

Upvote 0