✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
I'm thinking of offering the following topic for debate:

Being ginger in any Society is a gross perversion / has been, is, and will continue to be harmful /fatal to its Participants / and thus harms Society as a whole in which case it should be banned.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Not quite. Various CF members can handle Freodin's position. Only one CF member, TCMD, demonstrated enough passion for sexual morality to be the first to engage in a formal debate.

Yeah, have you seen TCMD debate before? Passion doesn't cut it.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Darn, delays.

Glad to see though that the discussion can include female homosexuality when relevant, should the point regarding STDs be raised.

Yes, given that I've seen TCMD debate this on E&M before and got absolutely paddled with that point, I wasn't surprised the initial motion didn't include it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

poolerboy0077

Jun 9, 2013
✟1,625.00
Faith
Atheist
I hope the person for the motion that male homosexuality is harmful takes a bit more of a sophisticated avenue than simply stating:

Premise (1): Homosexual sex is risky.
Premise (2): Risky behavior is immoral.
Conclusion: Therefore, homosexual sex is​
immoral.

Both of these premises, after all, are false as written. Some homosexual sex is risky, as is some heterosexual sex, not to mention many nonsexual activities. Some risky behavior is immoral, but much is not. After all, driving is riskier than walking, football is riskier than chess, coal mining is riskier than accounting, and so on, but we do not conclude immorality or a public health crisis on its basis.

I also hope not to see the silly "universalizing" argument that if everyone were homosexual there'd be no society. That would be as absurd as claiming being religiously celibate is immoral because if everyone practiced it there would be no society. Or if everyone became an English teacher there'd be no society (no doctors, no agrarians, farmers, ranchers, people that transport said food to us, etc.).

Let's keep this sophisticated, guys.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
"One must ask why there is such concern among Nations that its Laws would strictly prohibit this Lifestyle "

'These countries wouldn't prohibit it unless they had a good reason.
Therefore they must have a good reason.
Case closed.'

Mmmmmm... nope.

Upvote 0

poolerboy0077

Jun 9, 2013
✟1,625.00
Faith
Atheist
"One must ask why there is such concern among Nations that its Laws would strictly prohibit this Lifestyle "

'These countries wouldn't prohibit it unless they had a good reason.
Therefore they must have a good reason.
Case closed.'

Mmmmmm... nope.
Yeah, I also cringed at that rationale. Many countries have adopted insane laws over the years. The idea that laws are passed for a good reason is itself an unwarranted and unjustified assertion. It's also a fallacy of appeal to the masses (Argumentum ad populum) to say that because a lot of people think a certain way it must be good or true. Um, how so? A lot of people once thought the Earth was flat -- in fact, a majority once thought this. This didn't make it true, of course. I am rather unimpressed with how this is going. I hope the responses to that initial post are well thought-out and exposes the flaws or my keyboard is going to break.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Just look at the countries listed,
Iran, Mauritania (I've never even heard of them), the Republic of Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, South Sudan, Uganda, Somalia and Nigeria.

Are these really the countries the US should be looking to as an example?
Is he really making the argument that homosexuality should be completely outlawed?

Upvote 0

Golden Yak

Not Worshipped, Far from Idle
May 20, 2010
✟8,438.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
That was just TCMD's opening post. He said that the follow up post would explore reasons why it has been outlawed.

Essentially he's said "Here's a lot of places that outlaw it" and the follow up post will be "and here's why."

So we haven't really seen his first argument yet.

Upvote 0

poolerboy0077

Jun 9, 2013
✟1,625.00
Faith
Atheist
That was just TCMD's opening post. He said that the follow up post would explore reasons why it has been outlawed.

Essentially he's said "Here's a lot of places that outlaw it" and the follow up post will be "and here's why."

True, although to be fair he did intimate what direction he'd be headed when he said that it was "a dangerous lifestyle" and that it's a "gross perversion."

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

You're right. Can't wait to see this pan out.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.