Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
No, that's not his assumption, it's his conclusion, formed in the absence of evidence. He then shoe horns the bits of the evidence he likes into the conclusion, and waves away the rest. That's why there's nothing you can say to convince him otherwise.
I have a friend who up until today I thought was fairly educated.

We spent the afternoon arguing about why the moon landings were faked-- according to him.
I tried in vain to convince him he was wrong, made several key points that he agreed with, but ultimately he came back to his conclusion that we've never been on the moon...

After about 15 minutes of arguing I decided that I didn't want to destroy our friendship so I gave him an out about his argument having some possibility of being true and then I let it go...

Which was hard because during the argument he made another argument about the pyramids being "beyond the capabilities of even today's best engineers" and that even with today's technology we couldn't build the pyramids..."

SO yeah, there is no way you are ever going to convince someone that their conspiracy theory is wrong. Just isn't going to happen.

IMO, the biggest component of all conspiracy theories is that ultimately, the theory is a way to demonstrate intellectual superiority over everyone else. "You" see the truth-- the truth that everyone else is just not smart enough to figure out on their own.... But you did because you are *insert adjective and adverbs*

We live in the age of Google, all the knowledge of mankind is literally a few key strokes away... and yet people use said knowledge not to find the truth but rather to find echo chamners that regurgitate their beliefs.

It is a fools errand to try to change the mind of a conspiracy theorist... just not gonna happen...

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
....IMO, the biggest component of all conspiracy theories is that ultimately, the theory is a way to demonstrate intellectual superiority over everyone else. "You" see the truth-- the truth that everyone else is just not smart enough to figure out on their own.... But you did because you are *insert adjective and adverbs*...
Exactly right.

Its a passive self-aggrandizement: I have the special knowledge that permits me to see through the smoke that blinds the rest of you sheeple to reality.

Upvote 0

Doctor.Sphinx

Dec 10, 2017
De Nile
✟20,762.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
And for hundreds of airline employees to just keep quiet about it. Hmm - maybe not
Why do you think they would need to know?

I have a friend who up until today I thought was fairly educated.

We spent the afternoon arguing about why the moon landings were faked-- according to him.
I tried in vain to convince him he was wrong, made several key points that he agreed with, but ultimately he came back to his conclusion that we've never been on the moon...

After about 15 minutes of arguing I decided that I didn't want to destroy our friendship so I gave him an out about his argument having some possibility of being true and then I let it go...

Which was hard because during the argument he made another argument about the pyramids being "beyond the capabilities of even today's best engineers" and that even with today's technology we couldn't build the pyramids..."

SO yeah, there is no way you are ever going to convince someone that their conspiracy theory is wrong. Just isn't going to happen.

IMO, the biggest component of all conspiracy theories is that ultimately, the theory is a way to demonstrate intellectual superiority over everyone else. "You" see the truth-- the truth that everyone else is just not smart enough to figure out on their own.... But you did because you are *insert adjective and adverbs*

We live in the age of Google, all the knowledge of mankind is literally a few key strokes away... and yet people use said knowledge not to find the truth but rather to find echo chamners that regurgitate their beliefs.

It is a fools errand to try to change the mind of a conspiracy theorist... just not gonna happen...
Your friend sounds smarter than you. Perhaps you should listen to him?

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Why do you think they would need to know?

Your friend sounds smarter than you. Perhaps you should listen to him?

could you give me a list of things I should believe?

Fake moon landings... check
What else is on your list?

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,150,243.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Did the CIA also kill all the UK citizens on Diego Garcia or did they just use the mind erasing gas?
Don’t be silly they used the neuralizer as shown in the documentary film ‘men in black’

Upvote 0