Not open for further replies.

Anij

Feb 12, 2006
✟15,221.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I couldn't figure out where the best place to ask this was so...

Has anyone made their own Albs,? and if so do you have a pattern you like (which is available).

I'm 5'4" and small framed - I just picked up a broadcloth Alb ( we don't have air conditioning in the Church, so I need something 'light' for summer) and though it will work , I'm swimming in it.

Though I certainly don't mind spending money on a good quality Alb, I get the sense that custom making one is likely the best bet ( and heck I'm going to be wearing one for a lonnnnnnnnggggg time, God willing)

Blessings,

Anij

Feb 12, 2006
✟15,221.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
pmcleanj said:
I have. I used the Simplicity pattern. It fit badly and hangs poorly. I'd have been better off adapting a classic folk pattern, I think.

Incidentally, the traditional fabric for albs is linen -- which comes in many weights and is deliciously cool.
Thanks for the tips,

I'm not a huge fan of the Broadcloth, it's thin ( meaning more translusent than I'd like) which means I end up wearing beige top/pants under it. The main reason for the Broad cloth was a time issue ( I needed something lightweight before Pentecost, which meant something local, and 'off the rack')

I really like ( at least what I can see online) the Slabbinck Albs... but they're ( or seem ) VERY expensive to order without being able to see them/try

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
My mistake: It was the butterick one I didn't like: http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.item.B6844=x&TI=10013&page=11

The Simplicity one is from their costume collection. You never know; it's certainly a simple cut: javascript:newWindow('dv1_v4.cfm?design=4213'); I wouldn't mind testing the pattern, but I'm dubious that it would give a really finished look.

What do you think of either the Syrian Dress or the Gaza Dress from Folkwear? http://www.folkwear.com/caravan.html -- these patterns are sewn from unshaped rectangles, which is very much in keeping with a traditional (that is to say, Roman Empire) linea tunica; and they drape surprisinglin nicely (surprising given that they are being draped on non-rectangular bodies).

Upvote 0

Finella

Veteran
Feb 27, 2004
PA
✟17,732.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Folkwear patterns are great! Years ago I made myself the Afghani Nomad dress. I would just double-check the sizes of the pattern pieces on you, since (for instance) the yoke on the Afghani dress that was supposed to be my size was much too small, so I wound up using the medium yoke with the small sized pieces for the other parts. But the directions were easy and it was quite simple to put together. I think the Syrian dress in linen would make a fantastic alb.

ETA: Just had another look at the Gaza dress, and that would also be perfect. Great suggestions, Pamela!

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
karen freeinchristman said:
You guys are so cool, being able to make all those things yourself! Awesome! :thumbsup:

Are you saying that you ignore your motherly duty when it comes to sewing?

Costumes (for school plays) are about all I make nowadays. I did like that Folkwear website that Pamela posted - I must keep it in mind in case I get desperate and can't find a pattern in the UK.

Upvote 0

karen freeinchristman

More of You and less of me, Lord!
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Naomi4Christ said:
Are you saying that you ignore your motherly duty when it comes to sewing?
Can you support this with Scripture, please? ;)

Costumes (for school plays) are about all I make nowadays.
I can turn my hand at the costumes for school plays, because they don't have to be that well-finished, or last very long. :cool:

Upvote 0

Finella

Veteran
Feb 27, 2004
PA
✟17,732.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
karen freeinchristman said:
You guys are so cool, being able to make all those things yourself! Awesome! :thumbsup:
My skills are nothing compared to my mother's -- she is amazing when it comes to sewing. Wool coats, wedding dresses, leotards... she can do it all. But it is a lot of work, and nowadays clothing is so much less expensive than it used to be, there's almost no point in needing to learn how to sew. Except for when you can't find what you really need (due to size or style).

Upvote 0

Anij

Feb 12, 2006
✟15,221.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Finella said:
My skills are nothing compared to my mother's -- she is amazing when it comes to sewing. Wool coats, wedding dresses, leotards... she can do it all. But it is a lot of work, and nowadays clothing is so much less expensive than it used to be, there's almost no point in needing to learn how to sew. Except for when you can't find what you really need (due to size or style).
I feel the same way ... I can sew , it's just a matter of time/versus actual money saving - often times it cost more to actaully make it yourself now.

The only reason I'm looking into making Albs ( and eventually other vestments) is because the price of the really nice ones are ... umm insane ( sorry $300USD for an Alb is just beyond my understanding ) , and I'm a small frame, so it makes it hard to find something unless I have one custom made.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.