• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Made in Gods Image?

Discussion in 'Christian Apologetics' started by Clizby WampusCat, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Clizby WampusCat

Clizby WampusCat Well-Known Member

+435
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Well it all depends on where you draw the line with what like means. I see your view but isn't god infinitely more these things than we are? If god is good all the time and nothing we do is good as the bible says then how are these alike?

2. Clizby WampusCat

+435
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    No, that is useless. Are you saying that only the ancients were made in gods image? I want to know how Christians today understand this verse.

How do you know this is what it means?

3. ChetSinger

ChetSinger Well-Known Member

+402
    Protestant
    Married
    Based on the questions in your first post ("What does it mean that we are made in Gods image?" and "So how are we made in Gods image?") I thought you wanted to learn the original meaning of that passage as understood by the culture that wrote it. But if you're just looking for people's opinions of it, then never mind.

If you're interested I'll refer you to the pdf I linked to in post #14. It's an example of modern scholarship and is a good introduction to the subject, imo.

4. ChetSinger

+402
    Protestant
    Married
    Yes, I don't mean to discount the Fall. But even since becoming sinful we are still images of God:

With it (the tongue) we bless the Lord and Father, and with it we curse people made in God's image. - James 3:9

So being an image of God doesn't require one to be righteous, but simply a human who has received the dominion mandate given to us in Genesis. That mandate has never been revoked so each of us remain his images, that is his representatives, until it is.

5. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+4,594
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    And is not that mandate to do His will and not our own? God cannot work through us as long as we rebel.

6. Clizby WampusCat

+435
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Do you think it meant something different to ancient people than it does today? Why would God allow that in his word?

Looks real good. Why is that interpretation correct and another person's here not correct?

7. ChetSinger

+402
    Protestant
    Married
    I agree. But the OP's specific question regarded the quality of being God's images as declared in Genesis. And we remain his images (his representatives) here whether we do his will or not, until he revokes our status.

8. DiscipleHeLovesToo

DiscipleHeLovesToo Regular Member Supporter

+490
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Clizby WampusCat - do you have any proof that we are not made in God's image? you noted in previous post that your evaluation of the Bible reveals that this is not so - does this mean you accept the Bible as authoritative about God?

9. timothyu

+4,594
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Obviously what we are is not how God made us in the beginning.

10. ChetSinger

+402
    Protestant
    Married
    Good question. That's one of the tasks of modern scholars: to ascertain the original meanings of texts. To do that we need to understand the cultures those texts were written in. For example, after Naaman the Syrian was healed of his leprosy he asked the prophet Elisha for two cartloads of Israelite dirt to carry back to Syria with him. Why? It turns out there's an unwritten cultural backstory involved, revolving around the concept of "the gods of the nations", and entire papers have been written on it.

Gotta ask God. He lets our minds draw whatever we want out of it, whether correct or not. And some things he truly hides, just so that we can seek after it: "It is the glory of God to conceal things, but the glory of kings is to search things out.".

I think you should just use your best judgment for that.

11. Clizby WampusCat

+435
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Yes, how do I know they are correct?

So there is no way to know since many Christians ask god and get different interpretations.

So you don't have a way to know if someone is correct in their interpretation of a biblical passage?

12. ChetSinger

+402
    Protestant
    Married
    You have a brain and it seems like a good one. Use it to sift the data and draw your own conclusions.

13. Clizby WampusCat

+435
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Ok, I have. But I have no way of knowing what interpretation is correct. What standard of interpretation am I supposed to use? The fact is when interpreting the bible no one knows what it actually is saying in some areas as attested to the many different beliefs and interpretations about the bible. I can draw conclusions all day but how do I gain confidence that they are correct?

14. ChetSinger

+402
    Protestant
    Married
    Accept that in this life our knowledge is partial and that complete knowledge waits for the resurrection:

"Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known."​

So for now just do the best you can. Isn't it when we think we know it all that we stop trying to learn?

15. timothyu

+4,594
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    You start with the basic principle of what God, Jesus and the Bible teaches. God's will before man's. That pretty well eliminates all the theology and doctrines and clears a path to clear thinking.

16. Clizby WampusCat

+435
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    This is not a good way to how to determine what is true. I will stick with my method. It is when we are unwilling to say "I don't know" is when we stop learning. Why do you accept that the verse you quoted is true?

17. Clizby WampusCat

+435
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Why should I start with this presupposition?

18. ChetSinger

+402
    Protestant
    Married
    Because I have faith in God.

19. timothyu

+4,594
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Because from beginning in the Garden to the end in the Kingdom and all in between, it is the main theme of the scriptures.

20. cvanwey

cvanwey Well-Known Member

+666
    United States
    Skeptic
    Private
    Why?