✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Rev 21
6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

Not found: "And he will be equal to me."

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not found: "And he will be equal to me."

Well that is the point, as I said in my other posting the Father will always have greater glory through his creations because He is before us. If and when I reach the point of being able to create it won't be on my own, it will be within his council of Gods.

You are trying to paint us into a corner again by focusing on one line in one passage rather than the whole of the scriptures.

I can read D&C 88 "....and the saints shall be filled with his glory, and receive their inheritance and be made equal with him..." and realize this is about what is going to happen at the second coming and not a doctrinal dissertation on just how we will be made equal with God. so I can begin looking at what other passages say on the subject

D&C 76;
92 And thus we saw the glory of the celestial, which excelsin all things—where God, even the Father, reigns upon his throne forever and ever;.....
94 They who dwell in his presence are the church of the Firstborn; and they see as they are seen, and know as they are known, having received of his fulness and of his grace;
95 And he makes them equal in power, and in might, and in dominion

I would assume that to mean the knowledge power and authority to create, to command the elements and have them obey my will.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
That's fine, so far as it goes. I don't think any Christian really cares how Mormonism interprets its own texts like the Doctrine and Covenants, since that's not scripture in Christianity. The problem comes when you make inappropriate allusions or comparisons to Biblical texts which are accepted in Christianity, because no Christian communion or church interprets Revelation or any other text to mean what you or other Mormons claim that it means, whereby we gain "the knowledge power and authority to create, to command the elements and have them obey (our) will." That is an abuse of the Holy Scripture on the part of Mormonism in order to support its alien doctrines and alien 'progressive' god-figure. In Christianity, nobody becomes an almighty creator God under any circumstance, so any reading of any part of the scriptures or the fathers which is claimed to support such a thing is quite simply false and improper.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think you are trying to make God finite or at least box us into that position.

God has all knowledge, he has all the knowledge there is know about creation. One day I will obtain that same knowledge. God can see and know everything that is going on, if a bird falls from the sky he knows it. I will one day obtain that ability. Hopefully I can learn to love as he loves. In those ways I will be like God, he will share his throne to all that overcome, Rev 3:21

It's the idea of family which you are missing.
My mother was an only child (until 20 year later when grandma decided to have another one), she married my dad and they created a family. They had four children, who had 16 grandchildren and now my mother has 42 great grandchildren with two on the way and 5 great great grandchildren.

this is D&C 132 speaking about those that make it to godhood

"....to their exaltation and glory in all things, as hath been sealed upon their heads, which glory shall be a fulness and a continuation of the seeds forever and ever."

Yes God the Father got a head start over me, he will always have more children adding to his glory than I have.

Well I assume in this discussion the Mormon idea that all our existences are infinite so I don't know how I am making Heavenly Father 'finite.' Rather what I am maintaining is that you will at one point be as powerful as Heavenly Father is now. Since Heavenly Father is at this moment a God worthy of all worship from his creation, it would follow that you will be as well. Now we could go beyond this and ask, is Heavenly Father despite all his power at this moment still bound to his heavenly Father? if at all he has a heavenly Father? If he doesn't have a heavenly Father then it would follow once you reach this point you no longer need him for your divinisation.

My question for you is, will you present yourself to the children of the world you create as Heavenly Father does now? Will you teach them about your Heavenly Father, their Heavenly Grandfather? Will you allow your wife to be worshipped? This is assuming you reach the highest position within the celestial kingdom.

Now I would agree the Mormon God is boxed in, limited by his own flesh and ability to do things he cannot yet do. Since divinisation is eternal it makes sense to say that there are things Heavenly Father has not yet achieved, things perhaps that he cannot do or know yet. Since existence is infinite, why aren't attributes like knowledge infinite? Surely divinity consists in a growth of certain attributes that are without limit, knowledge, power, holiness and status.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
"Does not care" as in it's none of our business, since it's not our scripture.
Again, I've met plenty of Christians of other denominations that honestly do care because they are honestly trying to understand, love, and respect. Just as I honestly want to understand how Catholics interpret their denomination-specific doctrines (as just one example).

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
My question for you is, will you present yourself to the children of the world you create as Heavenly Father does now? Will you teach them about your Heavenly Father, their Heavenly Grandfather? Will you allow your wife to be worshipped? This is assuming you reach the highest position within the celestial kingdom.

Mormons don't know anything about their heavenly grandparents.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Mormons don't know anything about their heavenly grandparents.

I understand that. Yet since I have established that Mormons believe they will one day be as their God is now (and their god is worthy of worship, is all knowledgable, good and etc right now) I wonder what they will do in that position. Presumably they will have children like Heavenly father now has children and will be control over their own planet, will they teach their own children about Heavenly grandfather who is greater than they are in all respects? Or will they act as their heavenly Father does now and place all importance on themselves and act as if there are no other Gods?

For instance, will they reveal as God revealed to Isaiah: '"You are my witnesses," declares the LORD, "and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. (Isa 43:10).' Further on God says that their is no saviour besides himself and I wonder should the children of those Mormons who become gods fall will they rely on the Mormon now made God or would they rely on Jesus? If they fail to teach their believers about a being whom they themselves owe their salvation to, do they then seem to be neglectful of their Heavenly Father and how great he is? Does the commandment given to worship Heavenly Father not apply to the spiritual children of Heavenly Father's spritual children?

These are the profound questions that the entire Mormon system begs us to ask.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Rev 21
6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

Although we are joint heirs with Christ and inherit all which God has, his knowledge, power and authority He/Jesus will always be our Savior and God, we have been adopted by him. He said to the Father "And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them" We will always worship Jesus, we will always say 'Thy will be done' to the Father.

Why are Mormons taught to only worship the Supreme God?

God the Father is the Supreme Being in whom we believe and whom we worship. He is the ultimate Creator, Ruler, and Preserver of all things. He is perfect, has all power, and knows all things. He “has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s” (D&C 130:22).
God the Father

A knowledge of the truth is essential to true worship. We must learn that God is our Father; that he is an exalted and perfected personage in whose image we are created; that he sent his Beloved Son into the world to redeem mankind; that salvation is in Christ, who is the revelation of God to the world; and that Christ and his gospel laws are known only by revelation given to those apostles and prophets who represent him on earth...

True and perfect worship is in fact the supreme labor and purpose of man. God grant that we may write in our souls with a pen of fire the command of the Lord Jesus: “Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve” (Luke 4:8); and may we in fact and with living reality worship the Father in spirit and in truth, thereby gaining peace in this life and eternal life in the world to come.
How to Worship - Ensign Dec. 1971 - ensign

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums