Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Mormonism either needs an official catechism that is openly available to everybody

I'd fall off my chair if that happened! They don't want even members to know everything and the laws and ordinances that aren't supposed to change, do change!

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The Latter Day Saint endowment prayer circle once included use of the words "Pay Lay Ale". These untranslated words are no longer used in temple ordinances and have been replaced by an English version, "O God, hear the words of my mouth". Some believe that the "Pay Lay Ale" sentence is derived from the Hebrew phrase "pe le-El" (פה לאל), "mouth to God".
Adamic language - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mormons perhaps don't want to speculate and hence they will avoid answering our concerns

I think that is the whole point, what I'm going to post is purely me and my pondering.

I’m not sure all Mormons have studied the full King Follett address and our lessons are more about how to follow Christ example of love and charity. No need to worry about becoming Gods ourselves if we can’t get the charity part right. Non Mormons worry about this more that Mormons ever do.

No one here is being deceptive we’re just giving more detail. It’s not that God was once a man but that God is a man. He is an immortal God who was once became a mortal man as Jesus did and progressed to total perfection. What does that mean, what does it mean to be totally perfect?

There is all knowing, all powerful, all loving, total righteousness in the choices, he must not lie. And, he must be perfect in justice and perfect in his mercy.

In Heb 2 the writer says; “For if the word spoken by angels was steadfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward; How shall we escape…..,

The only way is through the mercy Jesus offers.

1, In the first place we already are gods in the sense of species,

Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High. Ps 82
….as we are the offspring of God…. Act 17

Rom 8 explains it best
16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ;

We are the spirit children of the Father but we are lost to him because of the fall. If we are “led by the Spirit of God” Jesus adopts us through his atonement and brings us back to the Father as full sons and heirs.

John 17; I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine. And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them.

*This same concept applies to God the Father, He has always been God because he is part of the family of Elohim(s)/Gods.

2, Joseph Smith said; “God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth the same as Jesus Christ himself did” then he uses John 5 to explain that Jesus was following what he had seen his Father do before him.

In our Book of Abraham he sees the spirits of men when they were organized and is taught there are different levels intelligence, we are not all the same and have different levels of ability and potential. (the parable of the talents teaches this)

There is however one spirit who is greater than them all

“And there stood one among them that was like unto God,…”

*Now this is where there is no actual doctrinal statement and just ponderings, but it seems there is a level of intelligences far above the others in whom there “is no darkness at all”, they naturally choose righteousness, Heb 1.

“…Being made so much better than the angels (the other spirit children of God), as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they ….And let all the angels of God worship him…. unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom. Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.” Heb 1

These greater intelligence are anointed with the oil of gladness and ordained God long before they come to an earth as men. When they do come they are sinless and act out the atoning ritual or ceremony of suffering for the sin of others.

*We are not saying that God was once a sinful man but that he was a sinless man as Jesus Christ was.

3, So how did God progress to full Godhood, what did he lack?

As one of the greater intelligences with greater potential He had a harder testing

Heb 2
9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man…. Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;… For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham…..Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren,

Heb 5
7 Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;
8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;
9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

In Luke 22 it says "being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground."

As one of those greater beings this is what he had to do to obtain his own perfection, he had to hang on the cross, he had to die. Added to that is of course his resurrection. He said on the third day he would be perfected and once He came forth from the tomb He then ascended to His Father and our Father to Heb 1
“….when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high…”

That was His path to full perfection, it made him a perfectly just and perfectly merciful God.

Think about it, what if Jesus had failed in this effort, instead of ‘thy will be done’ what if his fear over come him and he ran away. If He had there would be no path to mercy. It’s one of the points the Book of Mormon makes, to be God one must be perfectly just and perfectly merciful.

Alma 42
12 And now, there was no means to reclaim men from this fallen state, which man had brought upon himself because of his own disobedience;

13 Therefore, according to justice, the plan of redemption could not be brought about, only on conditions of repentance of men in this probationary state, yea, this preparatory state; for except it were for these conditions, mercy could not take effect except it should destroy the work of justice. Now the work of justice could not be destroyed; if so, God would cease to be God.

14 And thus we see that all mankind were fallen, and they were in the grasp of justice; yea, the justice of God, which consigned them forever to be cut off from his presence.

15 And now, the plan of mercy could not be brought about except an atonement should be made; therefore God himself atoneth for the sins of the world, to bring about the plan of mercy, to appease the demands of justice, that God might be a perfect, just God, and a merciful God also.

This was Jesus’ path of progression, He went from being a perfectly righteous being to a greater perfection of being able to offer us his perfect mercy. Before his atoning sacrifice he could not offer it, only after the atonement could he bring about justice and offer us mercy.

It is felt that the Father went though this same suffering to obtain the right and power to offer mercy to his family, he became a perfectly just and perfectly merciful God though offering himself as a sacrifice for sin.

I hope that helps you understand just a little more.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
2 Our Father Advanced and
Progressed Until He Became God

President Joseph Fielding Smith said: “Our Father in heaven, according to the Prophet, had a Father, and since there has been a condition of this kind through all eternity, each Father had a Father” (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:47).

President Joseph F. Smith taught: “I know that God is a being with body, parts and passions.... Man was born of woman; Christ, the Savior, was born of woman; and God, the Father was born of woman” (Church News, 19 Sept. 1936, p. 2).

President Wilford Woodruff explained: “[God] has had his endowments a great many years ago. He has ascended to his thrones, principalities and powers in the eternities. We are his children.....We are here to fill a probation and receive an education” (Deseret News Weekly, 28 Sept. 1881, p. 546).

How does it help us to know that the basic elements of God’s life in a mortal world were the same as ours? President Brigham Young explained:

“He is our Father—the Father of our Spirits—and was once a man in mortal flesh as we are....

(Search These Commandments, Melchizedek Priesthood Personal Study Guide, Copyright 1984, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, pp. 152-153)

The Nauvoo endowment ritual was a significant expansion from the simple washings and anointings received in Kirtland and included new theological instruction and ritual. According to the History of the Church, Joseph "instructed] them in the principles and order of the Priesthood, attending to washings, anointings, endowments and the communication of keys pertaining to the Aaronic Priesthood, and so on to the highest order of the Melchizedek Priesthood, setting forth the order pertaining to the Ancient of Days. . . .In this council was instituted the ancient order of things for the first time in these last days."
https://www.dialoguejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/sbi/articles/Dialogue_V34N0102_87.pdf

Your endowment is to receive all those ordinances in the house of the Lord which are necessary for you, after you have departed this life, to enable you to walk back to the presence of the Father, passing the angels who stand as sentinels, being enabled to give them the keywords, the signs and tokens, pertaining to the holy priesthood, and gain your eternal exaltation in spite of earth and hell.
Brigham Young

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think that is the whole point, what I'm going to post is purely me and my pondering.

I’m not sure all Mormons have studied the full King Follett address and our lessons are more about how to follow Christ example of love and charity. No need to worry about becoming Gods ourselves if we can’t get the charity part right. Non Mormons worry about this more that Mormons ever do.

No one here is being deceptive we’re just giving more detail. It’s not that God was once a man but that God is a man. He is an immortal God who was once became a mortal man as Jesus did and progressed to total perfection. What does that mean, what does it mean to be totally perfect?

There is all knowing, all powerful, all loving, total righteousness in the choices, he must not lie. And, he must be perfect in justice and perfect in his mercy.

In Heb 2 the writer says; “For if the word spoken by angels was steadfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward; How shall we escape…..,

The only way is through the mercy Jesus offers.

1, In the first place we already are gods in the sense of species,

Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High. Ps 82
….as we are the offspring of God…. Act 17

Rom 8 explains it best
16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ;

We are the spirit children of the Father but we are lost to him because of the fall. If we are “led by the Spirit of God” Jesus adopts us through his atonement and brings us back to the Father as full sons and heirs.

John 17; I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine. And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them.

*This same concept applies to God the Father, He has always been God because he is part of the family of Elohim(s)/Gods.

2, Joseph Smith said; “God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth the same as Jesus Christ himself did” then he uses John 5 to explain that Jesus was following what he had seen his Father do before him.

In our Book of Abraham he sees the spirits of men when they were organized and is taught there are different levels intelligence, we are not all the same and have different levels of ability and potential. (the parable of the talents teaches this)

There is however one spirit who is greater than them all

“And there stood one among them that was like unto God,…”

*Now this is where there is no actual doctrinal statement and just ponderings, but it seems there is a level of intelligences far above the others in whom there “is no darkness at all”, they naturally choose righteousness, Heb 1.

“…Being made so much better than the angels (the other spirit children of God), as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they ….And let all the angels of God worship him…. unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom. Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.” Heb 1

These greater intelligence are anointed with the oil of gladness and ordained God long before they come to an earth as men. When they do come they are sinless and act out the atoning ritual or ceremony of suffering for the sin of others.

*We are not saying that God was once a sinful man but that he was a sinless man as Jesus Christ was.

3, So how did God progress to full Godhood, what did he lack?

As one of the greater intelligences with greater potential He had a harder testing

Heb 2
9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man…. Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;… For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham…..Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren,

Heb 5
7 Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;
8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;
9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

In Luke 22 it says "being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground."

As one of those greater beings this is what he had to do to obtain his own perfection, he had to hang on the cross, he had to die. Added to that is of course his resurrection. He said on the third day he would be perfected and once He came forth from the tomb He then ascended to His Father and our Father to Heb 1
“….when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high…”

That was His path to full perfection, it made him a perfectly just and perfectly merciful God.

Think about it, what if Jesus had failed in this effort, instead of ‘thy will be done’ what if his fear over come him and he ran away. If He had there would be no path to mercy. It’s one of the points the Book of Mormon makes, to be God one must be perfectly just and perfectly merciful.

Alma 42
12 And now, there was no means to reclaim men from this fallen state, which man had brought upon himself because of his own disobedience;

13 Therefore, according to justice, the plan of redemption could not be brought about, only on conditions of repentance of men in this probationary state, yea, this preparatory state; for except it were for these conditions, mercy could not take effect except it should destroy the work of justice. Now the work of justice could not be destroyed; if so, God would cease to be God.

14 And thus we see that all mankind were fallen, and they were in the grasp of justice; yea, the justice of God, which consigned them forever to be cut off from his presence.

15 And now, the plan of mercy could not be brought about except an atonement should be made; therefore God himself atoneth for the sins of the world, to bring about the plan of mercy, to appease the demands of justice, that God might be a perfect, just God, and a merciful God also.

This was Jesus’ path of progression, He went from being a perfectly righteous being to a greater perfection of being able to offer us his perfect mercy. Before his atoning sacrifice he could not offer it, only after the atonement could he bring about justice and offer us mercy.

It is felt that the Father went though this same suffering to obtain the right and power to offer mercy to his family, he became a perfectly just and perfectly merciful God though offering himself as a sacrifice for sin.

I hope that helps you understand just a little more.

I suppose I just look at this materialist scheme of the cosmos and ask why? Perhaps Christians do emphasise the idea of divinisation alot since it so at odds with our perception that we could ever become equals to God. The Mormon might object but there is nothing in principle saying that we can eventually become like Heavenly Father is right now at this moment, but he will be further along the eternal chain of divinisation. The Mormon system itself simply lacks any coherency, in that God makes himself the object of all devotion and attention when in the grand scheme of things he isn't. He was once a man like us, we are told, perhaps he was a sinner (it's a possibility), perhaps he had a god (it's a possibility), perhaps he self actualised his divinity and came into an enfleshment through some kind of effort (a possibility), but he is not in of himself the end to which we find our rest in.

You are explaining the importance of the son yet I don't see why the son was necessary for our salvation when heavenly Father achieved salvation without the son. Heavenly father's current status as a God, which at one time he did not have, was not brought about because of his son but due to some unknown quantity. What prevents heavenly father from sharing this quantity with us? Why this other method of a son to save us from sin? What is sin? Why is sin bad within the Mormon universe? Not because God tells us so, he isn't the source of good or evil, such abstracts are beyond him and he can only adhere to the good, not be it in of himself.

These are just the sorts of problems I think about when i see your presentation and which I have yet to hear good Mormon responses to. It's these sorts of lines of questioning that often get sidetracked with accusations of misunderstanding, of speculation and etc. It would do well for Mormons to think on these issues instead of relying on authority. The genesis of Heavenly Father in Mormonism is something Mormons should think about because you claim he is so important.

Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Since Phoebe has chosen to disrespect my faith by posting part of our ceremony I will have to leave this thread and answer no more questions.

Why does one user posting something you find offensive mean that you can not longer interact with another user's post? Phoebe Ann and Ignatius the Kiwi are different people.

I've lost count of the number of times that Peter1000 has posted something horribly offensive about Christianity (unintentionally), but I'm not going to stop interacting with Ironhold over it, y'know?

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Why does one user posting something you find offensive mean that you can not longer interact with another user's post? Phoebe Ann and Ignatius the Kiwi are different people.

I've lost count of the number of times that Peter1000 has posted something horribly offensive about Christianity (unintentionally), but I'm not going to stop interacting with Ironhold over it, y'know?

It indicates that the poster has a total lack of respect for the people they're dealing with.

Once things like that become apparent, it means that there's really no point in trying to carry forward because that other person's just not listening.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
This website provides access to current and historical texts of the endowment, without exposing those few portions of the ceremony that are explicitly reserved for initiates. By creating this site, I hope to discourage researchers from using temple exposés produced by individuals and organizations hostile to Mormonism.
LDS Endowment

Why the utter secrecy?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It indicates that the poster has a total lack of respect for the people they're dealing with.

Once things like that become apparent, it means that there's really no point in trying to carry forward because that other person's just not listening.

And again, if that's how WWA feels, that's an understandable reason to stop interacting with Phoebe Ann in particular. I don't agree with that reason, but it makes sense within itself, at least. What makes less sense is to decide that you must leave the thread and not answer any further questions from other people because one person has offended you.

I mean, in the end I guess it doesn't really matter since it's WWA's choice to do whatever she wants for whatever reason, but I have a feeling that if the shoe were on the other foot, confessionally-speaking, some of the Mormon posters would rightly wonder why none of their questions are being addressed just because one of them said or did something a Christian poster was greatly offended by.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
And again, if that's how WWA feels, that's an understandable reason to stop interacting with Phoebe Ann in particular. I don't agree with that reason, but it makes sense within itself, at least. What makes less sense is to decide that you must leave the thread and not answer any further questions from other people because one person has offended you.

I mean, in the end I guess it doesn't really matter since it's WWA's choice to do whatever she wants for whatever reason, but I have a feeling that if the shoe were on the other foot, confessionally-speaking, some of the Mormon posters would rightly wonder why none of their questions are being addressed just because one of them said or did something a Christian poster was greatly offended by.

I agree. I also removed the offensive portion of my post.

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I think we can disagree about points of doctrine and I can say the early Christian Fathers where those Paul spoke about as to leading the church astray and you can call our prophets the false ones Jesus warned about. You can say my temple ceremonies are false and I can say repetitious prays are of no value. It's all okay. It's when I enter you place of worship and poke fun at those people praying or when what I hold sacred is thrown out there like is a piece of trash that we come to the point that we mock God.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
alot since it so at odds with our perception that we could ever become equals to God.

I don't know that we will be equal to God, he is our Father and will always be our God.

The Mormon might object but there is nothing in principle saying that we can eventually become like Heavenly Father is right now at this moment, but he will be further along the eternal chain of divinisation.

I'm not really sure what you are getting at but this is also from the King Follett discourse

"Here, then, is eternal life--to know the only wise and true God. And you have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves--to be kings and priests to God, the same as all Gods have done--by going from a small degree to another, from grace to grace, from exaltation to exaltation, until you are able to sit in glory as do those who sit enthroned in everlasting power..... but shall be God's heirs and joint heirs with Jesus Christ. What is it? It is to inherit the same glory, the same power, and the same exaltation until you ascend the throne of eternal power the same as those who are gone before. What did Jesus do? Why, I do the things I saw my Father do when worlds came rolling into existence. I saw my Father work out his kingdom with fear and trembling, and I must do the same; and when I get my kingdom I shall present it to my Father so that he obtains kingdom upon kingdom, and it will exalt his glory. And so Jesus treads in his tracks to inherit what God did before...."

I think he is working off of John 17 and the Intercessory Prayer.

Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:...
I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word..... I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine. And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them...... And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:..."

The principle is that as we are obedient to Christ he glorifies us and we intern glorify him and Jesus glorifies the Father, He is always further ahead of us in glory and exaltation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't know that we will be equal to God, he is our Father and will always be our God.

I'm not really sure what you are getting at but this is also from the King Follett discourse

"Here, then, is eternal life--to know the only wise and true God. And you have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves--to be kings and priests to God, the same as all Gods have done--by going from a small degree to another, from grace to grace, from exaltation to exaltation, until you are able to sit in glory as do those who sit enthroned in everlasting power..... but shall be God's heirs and joint heirs with Jesus Christ. What is it? It is to inherit the same glory, the same power, and the same exaltation until you ascend the throne of eternal power the same as those who are gone before. What did Jesus do? Why, I do the things I saw my Father do when worlds came rolling into existence. I saw my Father work out his kingdom with fear and trembling, and I must do the same; and when I get my kingdom I shall present it to my Father so that he obtains kingdom upon kingdom, and it will exalt his glory. And so Jesus treads in his tracks to inherit what God did before...."

I think he is working off of John 17 and the Intercessory Prayer.

Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:...
I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word..... I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine. And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them...... And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:..."

The principle is that as we are obedient to Christ he glorifies us and we intern glorify him and Jesus glorifies the Father, He is always further ahead of us in glory and exaltation.

My point about us being God as he was now is that I am assuming the statements that exaltation is forever and eternal are true. Consider God fifty years into the future will somehow be more powerful and grand than he is now. Eternal progression being exactly that, eternal and without limit. So it follows that after your divinisation (since you are of the same species as God is) you will at one point become what God is now yet by that time heavenly Father will be down the divinisation track even more so. If you don't then the promise of eternal exaltation is a lie and you can never be as God is now. I know Mormons like to quote some Church fathers who use similar phrases though we understand them quite differently

I could go on from here, but first I would ask, do you think this line of reasoning is accurate and possibly represents the world as Mormons see it?

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single

Critics of the church, generally speaking, love to use the temple garments, the endowment ceremony, and other such things as cheap shock value. I kid you not when I say that there was actually an incident in which a mainstream Christian minister went to Temple Square in Salt Lake City and wiped his butt in public with a pair of garments. That's the level of disrespect we're shown by people who still refer to themselves as "Good Christians" without a hint of understanding of just what they've done.

I think you can understand why some members are so frustrated with dealing with these individuals that they have to extricate themselves from the situation before things go from bad to worse.

I myself am the son of a command sergeant major, and have had to exercise considerable effort to keep from demonstrating some of what he taught me to do over the years when dealing with people who won't listen.

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My point about us being God as he was now is that I am assuming the statements that exaltation is forever and eternal are true. Consider God fifty years into the future will somehow be more powerful and grand than he is now. Eternal progression being exactly that, eternal and without limit. So it follows that after your divinisation (since you are of the same species as God is) you will at one point become what God is now yet by that time heavenly Father will be down the divinisation track even more so. If you don't then the promise of eternal exaltation is a lie and you can never be as God is now. I know Mormons like to quote some Church fathers who use similar phrases though we understand them quite differently

I could go on from here, but first I would ask, do you think this line of reasoning is accurate and possibly represents the world as Mormons see it?

I think you are trying to make God finite or at least box us into that position.

God has all knowledge, he has all the knowledge there is know about creation. One day I will obtain that same knowledge. God can see and know everything that is going on, if a bird falls from the sky he knows it. I will one day obtain that ability. Hopefully I can learn to love as he loves. In those ways I will be like God, he will share his throne to all that overcome, Rev 3:21

It's the idea of family which you are missing.
My mother was an only child (until 20 year later when grandma decided to have another one), she married my dad and they created a family. They had four children, who had 16 grandchildren and now my mother has 42 great grandchildren with two on the way and 5 great great grandchildren.

this is D&C 132 speaking about those that make it to godhood

"....to their exaltation and glory in all things, as hath been sealed upon their heads, which glory shall be a fulness and a continuation of the seeds forever and ever."

Yes God the Father got a head start over me, he will always have more children adding to his glory than I have.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Doctrine and Covenants 88
106 And again, another angel shall sound his trump, which is the seventh angel, saying: It is finished; it is finished! The Lamb of God hath overcome and trodden the wine-press alone, even the wine-press of the fierceness of the wrath of Almighty God.
107 And then shall the angels be crowned with the glory of his might, and the saints shall be filled with his glory, and receive their inheritance and be made equal with him.

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Doctrine and Covenants 88
106 And again, another angel shall sound his trump, which is the seventh angel, saying: It is finished; it is finished! The Lamb of God hath overcome and trodden the wine-press alone, even the wine-press of the fierceness of the wrath of Almighty God.
107 And then shall the angels be crowned with the glory of his might, and the saints shall be filled with his glory, and receive their inheritance and be made equal with him.

Rev 21
6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

Although we are joint heirs with Christ and inherit all which God has, his knowledge, power and authority He/Jesus will always be our Savior and God, we have been adopted by him. He said to the Father "And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them" We will always worship Jesus, we will always say 'Thy will be done' to the Father.

Upvote 0