Lutheran Infant Baptism

Sascha Fitzpatrick

Apr 29, 2004
✟9,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not really sure where to post this, but I thought I'd try here...

I was talking to my 'almost-bf' about his childhood beliefs (lutheranism - he and I are both Salvation Army), and asked if he would want any children he might have to be baptised in a Lutheran Church. He said yes.

Now, believe me, I'm not worried about this, as I've read what the baptism is about - and I agree with it. I was just wondering - is there something about baptising lutheran that I should know and don't? It's not that I'd do it to keep the peace, I just think it would be a nice idea as his family are lutheran (so we'd do it in their church) and it says basically what I believe anyway. I think I'd also have the child dedicated at our church also.

This is a WAY WAY WAY off thing at the moment, but seeing we were discussing it, I was just wondering if other people could see issues that I can't.

Thanks!

Sasch

Jenna

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
✟4,598.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hmmmm.... the only thing that I've ever noticed becoming an issue over someone's baptism through a lutheran Church is that some other churches will say it isn't valid and will pressure the person to be baptized again the 'right' way.

:)

Upvote 0

katelyn

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2003
✟17,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know much about baby baptism in any denomination...the motivation behind it, etc. Most churches I have attended have baby dedications rather than baptisms and leave baptism for after a person makes the decision to follow Christ on their own.

There is the pressure in many churches that if you were baptized as a baby, you should still have a baptism after you have professed to following Christ. My husband was baptized as an infant and doesn't plan on being baptized again as he doesn't want his family to feel he is rejecting the baptism they chose for him. I respect his choice although I'm sure some would pressure him to do it anyway. It's his choice to make, and he can profess his faith in other ways than by being baptized (again). I just think that it's important to remember that it's not baptism that saves, but Christ.

Upvote 0

GirlieGirl

Jesus
Feb 1, 2004
✟16,452.00
Faith
Christian
The examples of baptism in the Bible have been individuals who made a deliberate decision to choose Christ. That makes the most sense to me because it lines up with the Word.

I was baptized as an infant. It made absolutely not effect on me. When I made a decision for Christ as a young adult, I was baptized again. I have peace in my spirit that that was what God wanted me to do.

Upvote 0

Sascha Fitzpatrick

Apr 29, 2004
✟9,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the responses - keep posting if you wish :D

Yeah I was christened as a baby (my dad was catholic - and I cried the whole way through it - my aunt says it proved I wanted to be a 'proddy' like my mum - she was joking - I never used to cry in swimming lessons that I took at the same time!!!), but I had a baptism at 8, when I firmly dedicated my life to God - I wanted to do it as a sign that I was making my PERSONAL choice to follow God - rather than be under my family's christian banner anymore.

I guess I see this the same way if he and I were to get married and have children. We would baptise the baby at his parents Lutheran church (2000kms away), dedicate the baby at our Salvation Army Church (in the presence of my family and our friends), and then, if our children wanted to as they grew older, allow them to be baptised again as a declaration of their personal choice to follow God.

I found the lutheran thread AFTER I posted here :)

Sasch

Upvote 0

Cordy

“In case I don't see ya…”
Feb 8, 2004
✟24,497.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My understanding of baptism is that it is an outward expression of what has taken place spiritually. One comes to God and confessions that he or she is a sinner and in need of Him and gives his or her life to Him. Our old life, our old self, is gone and we are resurrected as new creations in Christ. By going under the water during baptism, we are physically representing that our old self is dying. When we rise up again, we represent that new person in Christ. Since this involves a personal decision and commitment to our Lord, one must be old enough to understand - and infants cannot make this decision.

I don’t mean to offend anyone, but I don’t think baptism should be about tradition or pleasing one’s family. Baptism should take place after a person has decided to serve God. I don’t think we should lessen this incredible declaration of faith, for it means nothing without the significant personal change it signifies.

Upvote 0

jtroth

Aug 8, 2003
Minnesota
Visit site
✟7,786.00
Faith
Christian
I was baptized in the the Lutheran Church and how it works there is that you are baptized then you go through conformation to confirm your faith. Now I am Lutheran and my husband is I don't know what he is he goes to Assembly of God and there they do dedications. but I know hta twhen we have kids that I will baptize them and have them go through confirmation. Just becaue that is what I want. Now I know that it doesn't matter wheter you dedicate or baptize them it all really boils down to what is in your heart with God.

Upvote 0

GirlieGirl

Jesus
Feb 1, 2004
✟16,452.00
Faith
Christian
^^Actually, I think it does matter if you baptize versus dedicate. Baptism is a command from God. So we should follow it. Baby dedications are nice. It's an opportunity to announce a birth and pray the baby. But baby dedications aren't commanded by God. That's where I see a discrepancy in your logic. I'd say dedicate if you want, but don't think that's an equal exchange for baptism. (You might agree too, but I wanted to clarrify).

Upvote 0