• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

(Lutheran) Home Altar

Discussion in 'LCMS / WELS / ELS / LCC' started by JM, May 18, 2020.

1. JM

JM Reformed Catholic Supporter

+2,611
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Tigger45

Tigger45 Holy family & sojourners Supporter

+9,496
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    I do but then I picked up on most of it while being an EO catechumen.

3. JM

+2,611
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    Now you're Lutheran? What was the deciding factor?

4. Tigger45

+9,496
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    EO has had and will have a profound influence on me personally and doctrinally but the constant asceticism and feeling like I was always striving for God’s acceptance doesn’t set well with my soul.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. JM

+2,611
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    I can understand that.

6. Hope1960

Hope1960 Active Member

+112
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    What do you mean by constant asceticism?

7. JM

+2,611
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    Always denying yourself. Isn't there something like 250 fast days or foods you must abstain from in Orthodoxy?

8. Hope1960

Hope1960 Active Member

+112
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    I don’t know but aren’t they like Catholicism?

9. tampasteve

tampasteve ✞Steadfast Lutheran, Messianic leaning ✡ Staff Member Administrator CF Senior Ambassador Angels Team Supporter

+3,508
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    It is probably more regular than most Protestant denominations. I have one, but I kind of feel it is a hold over from being Catholic. I have a icon of St. Mark and Jesus as well as several bibles and prayer books.

Yes and no. There are some similarities, but also some vast differences. But when Catholics actually follow the fast recommendations it would be fairly similar in this regard. Most fast days are not required in the Catholic Church, at least in regards to the dietary rules....or they have been relaxed greatly in the last 20-30 years.

10. AMM

AMM A Beggar Supporter

+1,172
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    To the OP: I had something like this when I was Lutheran.

Kinda. We do fast a lot, but it's not done in a legalistic manner (Christ had strong words for the pharisees about that!)

There are similarities. But we also have differences. Same with Lutheranism: some similarities, other things are different.

11. Tigger45

+9,496
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    This is off topic per the OP I know but at the parish I attended the priest stuck to a very strict fast rule that baring medical reasons blessings were rarely granted. I personally watched people being turned away from the chalice due to having coffee on their breath.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  12. JM

+2,611
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    I've heard of this happening.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. AMM

AMM A Beggar Supporter

+1,172
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    For whatever it's worth (and this is getting quite off topic so we can always start another thread if you're curious), I've only heard of this happening on these forums. I've attended 7 different parishes, in a number of different jurisdictions, and never seen this happen. And I'm not talking about just going to a parish for one random Sunday. I've been to all of these churches a number of times. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen - I believe your experiences, but I just wanted to add that I've not seen it in any of my experiences

14. JM

+2,611
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    It happens everywhere and in every denomination. I know a very heavy handed Elder in a Presby churh that should probably be removed for his mean spirited, strict rigidity. It doesn't have a shepherds heart but he does have a fat wallet. ^_^

15. Tigger45

+9,496
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    First I want to make clear I don't doubt your experiences. On the occasions I've attended either of the two Greek churches in our area I've not seen it happen myself. Although the Russian parish has it if you want to receive communion on Sunday you'd need to attend Saturday Vespers and do a confession.

16. Lyrasong

Lyrasong Newbie

+35
    United States
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Please forgive me for moving your thread further off-track. I respond because I converted to Eastern Orthodoxy many years ago, but am considering visiting a little Missouri-Synod Lutheran Church near us.

It seems that keeping home altars is becoming more common among Christians across denominational lines. This is evident on websites such as Pinterest. It is a blessing for believers to have at least a small space at home devoted to our Lord, and where we regularly go to spend time with Him. For my part, there was a little difficulty in the past because, though icons do touch and instruct our souls, I also felt drawn to statues. This dilemma might bypass a Lutheran altogether!

As for the extreme astheticism encouraged (even demanded) by some Orthodox pastors, what I experienced decades ago was a balanced approach to spirituality. Our church had a strong monastic influence, but there was acceptance for where each person might be on their spiritual path. We were given the opportunity to keep the whole monastic fast, for instance, but not burdened with guilt if we fell short. No fear, save for a righteous fear of the Lord Himself, was hung over us. I see this more clearly now and am very thankful. Perhaps things have changed.

I look forward to learning more about Lutheranism and to watching the videos that have been shared (especially concerning deification). May God bless you all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  17. JM

+2,611
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    Any pics of Lutheran home altars that anyone wouldn't mind sharing?

18. Tigger45

+9,496
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    20200529_174845.jpg 20200529_174828.jpg

19. JM

+2,611
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
  20. Tigger45

+9,496
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    The great thing about home altars is there’s no right or wrong way to to do them (baring obviously anything inappropriate of course). Ours is Christocentric and includes personal objects that are Spiritually significant to us.

In my top photo is my first icon (Pantocrator). I got it from a previous Lutheran pastor who with his wife were downsizing to go to China for five years. Next to the left is the Theotokos and to her left is St. Anthony the great which I received from an Eastern Orthodox priest. Up top is of course a cross with a blessed Basil.

In my lower photo top and center is the crucifix from my late uncle’s funeral. The Rosary draped over it is to remind us to pray for my wife’s nephew who was in a terrible motorcycle accident. To the left is the Theotokos with the baby Jesus and to the right is the Archangel Michael with a blessed palm branch from the last Palm Sunday. Left on our altar shelf is a lion bust (Lion of Judah) I received as a b-day gift from one of my sisters. Of course a bottle of Holy water, a free standing Virgin Mary with baby Jesus, a framed copy of the Apostles creed & three candles. One for me, my wife and Christ.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List