Luther Wanted To Start His Own Church

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Did Luther Want to Start His Own Church? – Shameless Popery

The leaders of the Protestant Reformation, too, were sensitive to ecclesiastical abuses and wished to reform them. Yet the reform of abuses was not their fundamental concern. The attempt to reform an institution, after all, suggests that its abuses are temporary blemishes on a body fundamentally sound and beautiful. Luther, Zwingli, and Calvin did not believe this. They attacked the corruption of the Renaissance papacy, but their aim was not merely to reform it; they identified the pope with Antichrist and wished to abolish the papacy altogether. They did not limit their attack on the sacrament of penance to the abuse of indulgences. They plucked out the sacrament itself root and branch because they believed it to have no scriptural foundation. They did not wish simply to reform monasticism; they saw the institution itself as a perversion. The Reformation was a passionate debate on the proper conditions of salvation. It concerned the very foundations of faith and doctrine. Protestants reproached the clergy not so much for living badly as for believing badly, for teaching false and dangerous things. Luther attacked not the corruption of institutions but what he believed to be the corruption of faith itself. The Protestant Reformation was not strictly a "reformation" at all. In the intention of its leaders it was a restoration of biblical Christianity. In practice it was a revolution, a full-scale attack on the traditional doctrines and sacramental structure of the Roman Church. It could say with Christ, "I came not to send peace, but a sword." In its relation to the Church as it existed in the second decade of the sixteenth century, it came not to reform but to destroy.
I read this blog pretty often. It's full of informative articles expounding the faith. And in order to do that, you pretty much have to address Luther at some point or another.

Now, I've seen that whole "Luther wanted to reform the Catholic Church, not overthrow it" canard tossed around here on CF by people who, presumably, don't know history as well as they think they do. But reading Luther's own words, it's pretty hard to argue the point. Rebellion was his purpose and his pledge. There's really no other way to spin it.

Luther wanted to start his own community. So he started his own community. It's no more complicated than that.

Reactions: Dansiph

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I read this blog pretty often. It's full of informative articles expounding the faith. And in order to do that, you pretty much have to address Luther at some point or another.

Now, I've seen that whole "Luther wanted to reform the Catholic Church, not overthrow it" canard tossed around here on CF by people who, presumably, don't know history as well as they think they do. But reading Luther's own words, it's pretty hard to argue the point. Rebellion was his purpose and his pledge. There's really no other way to spin it.

Luther wanted to start his own community. So he started his own community. It's no more complicated than that.
Well that is what I always thought as well. I’ll definitely checkout that article. Thanks! :)

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

Luther started a non-stop splintering of religious groups. The Catholic Church remains the One and only Church.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
[Citation needed]
I

the Biblical bits such as all believers being able to have their sins forgiven by confessing them direct to God and faith completely in the blood of Jesus being enough for salvation. Works are a result of salvation.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I

the Biblical bits such as all believers being able to have their sins forgiven by confessing them direct to God and faith completely in the blood of Jesus being enough for salvation. Works are a result of salvation.
Because of Luther millions of Christians have no idea about their need for the sacraments, the Magisterium, communion with the Pope or a lot of other things available only through the Catholic Church. Worse, many of those same people have embraced doctrines that the Mother Church either regards as heresy or else which lead to heresy, such as "sola scriptura".

Considering the number of souls Luther has imperiled, I refuse to call his actions good.

Upvote 0

St Sebastian

Jul 7, 2019
FL
✟43,854.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Just to be in the clear:
1) Are you approving the notion that confession to God alone is all that is needed to have sins forgiven?
2) Are you stating that faith alone is enough for salvation?
3) Is your understanding of the Catholic faith that the Church taught salvation by works?

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟784,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I

How does John 20:23 fit into all this? And if works are a result of salvation, are you saying that salvation without any works is not true salvation? If so, doesn't that violate faith alone?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums