Luke 10:5 - When you enter someone's home?

mikechristianforumsusr

Christian growing in faith
Sep 14, 2012
✟14,352.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Scripture
“Whenever you enter someone’s home, first say, ‘May God’s peace be on this house.’
Observation
Jesus is sending out his disciples to prepare the places he planned to visit. Jesus gave the disciples a number of instructions on how to behave, including this statement about what to do when entering someone's house.
Application
This pinged me because I struggle a lot with what it means to act like a Christian. Jesus was very clear that His followers were to act different, but, from a practical day-to-day, decision-to-decision standpoint, what does that really mean? Is there a code of conduct or rules of behavior I follow? Most importantly, when I follow them, people will see it and say, "he's a Christian."
I struggle with this thinking because from everything I've learned, Christianity is unlike every other religion in the world in that it is **not** a set of rules to follow. If Jesus had established that, Christianity would just be another religion among religions. Instead, Christianity is a relationship with our living savior, Jesus.
Rules or relationship; it's a struggle. We must focus on the relationship, but, as sinful people I think it would be helpful to have rules too. The danger is repeating what happened with the Jewish faith where the rules became all important and people stopped building a relationship with God. There has to be a practical solution, I just don't know what it is.
Prayer

• Prayers
Reactions: Gregory95

Gregory95

You will know them by their fruits
Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Scripture
“Whenever you enter someone’s home, first say, ‘May God’s peace be on this house.’
Observation
Jesus is sending out his disciples to prepare the places he planned to visit. Jesus gave the disciples a number of instructions on how to behave, including this statement about what to do when entering someone's house.
Application
This pinged me because I struggle a lot with what it means to act like a Christian. Jesus was very clear that His followers were to act different, but, from a practical day-to-day, decision-to-decision standpoint, what does that really mean? Is there a code of conduct or rules of behavior I follow? Most importantly, when I follow them, people will see it and say, "he's a Christian."
I struggle with this thinking because from everything I've learned, Christianity is unlike every other religion in the world in that it is **not** a set of rules to follow. If Jesus had established that, Christianity would just be another religion among religions. Instead, Christianity is a relationship with our living savior, Jesus.
Rules or relationship; it's a struggle. We must focus on the relationship, but, as sinful people I think it would be helpful to have rules too. The danger is repeating what happened with the Jewish faith where the rules became all important and people stopped building a relationship with God. There has to be a practical solution, I just don't know what it is.
Prayer

i hear you my brother

would being loving and kind i believe Christ said this is how they know you are Mine

without cursing speech would this not set you apart from the majority already

Upvote 0

Gregory95

You will know them by their fruits
Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i hear you my brother

would being loving and kind i believe Christ said this is how they know you are Mine

without cursing speech would this not set you apart from the majority already
Which really isn't this just

Love God above all

Love your neighbor as yourself

Upvote 0