Lucaspa: I've Created Life!!

DNAunion

Sep 9, 2002
Visit site
✟1,109.00
DNAunion: I have created life, and it was simple!!

The living cells I created consist of organic molecules contained within a selectively permeable membrane, with the single unit of life displaying growth, reproduction – with the inheritance of traits, metabolism, response to external stimuli, electrical activity, and both intercellular and intracellular communication. Furthermore, the conditions required to create this new form of life are prebiotically plausible. These features make my created life form far more astounding that Sidney Fox’s.

I will explain each of the above characteristics, but first, I will present the protocol followed. I went into my back yard, dug a dozen holes, then kept pouring water into one of the holes. Lo and behold, I created honest-to-goodness living cells.

Organic molecules
The living cells I created consist of the organic molecule H2O, or water. Water is an organic molecule because it can be considered as formaldehyde – CH2O, a sugar - but with the carbon atom removed.

Selectively permeable membrane
I placed a piece of Styrofoam onto the surface-tension membranes of several living cells and noticed that the Styrofoam was prevented from entering into the interior of the cells. I repeated the experiment using a rock, and, surprisingly, it was admitted into the cells’ cytoplasm. Thus, the membrane that surrounds each cell is selectively permeable.

Growth
As more water was poured into the single cell, the water level rose – that is, the amount of organic material contained within the cell – it’s cytoplasm – increased. The increase in the intracellular contents expanded the volume enclosed by the selectively permeable membrane. Thus, my life forms undergo growth.

Reproduction
I found that there was a limit to how much an individual cell could grow. Once it reached that threshold, the cell released fluid gametes that, when reaching an empty hole, spawned a new living cell. By pouring water in only one hole, the parent hole, a total of 11 offspring were produced.

Inheritance of traits
I next placed blue food coloring into the parent cell and noticed that all of that cell’s offspring were also blue, just like their parent. Thus, in my new life forms traits are faithfully passed on from generation to generation.

Metabolism
Experiments have shown that water – the organic molecules of my living cells – can cleave the terminal phosphate groups from ATP, thereby liberating free energy. Since my organic molecules participate in one of the most universal metabolic activities – cleaving terminal phosphate groups of ATP to release free energy – my living cells carry out metabolism.

Response to external stimuli
When I threw a rock at one of the living cells, upon contact, its internal organic constituents rearranged in order to compensate for the external stimulus. Furthermore, when I exposed the living cells to heat, their cytoplasmic constituents underwent a phase change that resulted in a reduction of the cell’s volume: again, a response to an external stimulus.

Electrical activity
Being composed of the organic compound water, my living cells will conduct electrical impulses through their cytoplasm.

Intracellular communication
An electrical signal generated in one region of the cell can be detected in a distant region of that same cell, thus showing that digital messages can flow within the cells.

Intercellular Communication
When I placed pieces of Styrofoam – each with a “1” or “0” written on it - on the parent cell in the presence of sufficient organic material, the Styrofoam signal was transmitted to other cells, and from them to yet others, thus proving that my cells communicate digitally with other members of the community.

Prebiotically plausible conditions
The only conditions needed for my new form of life to arise from non-life are (1) imperfections in the terrain and (2) a source of water. Both were present on the prebiotic Earth.

Conclusion
As I stated earlier, the living cells I created consist of organic molecules contained within a selectively permeable membrane, with the single unit of life displaying growth, reproduction – with the inheritance of traits, metabolism, response to external stimuli, electrical activity, and both intercellular and intracellular communication. Furthermore, the conditions required to create this new life form are prebiotically plausible. These features make my created life form far more astounding that Sidney Fox’s.

So Lucaspa, will you now run around the internet spreading the word of my absolutely amazing discovery! LOL!!!

Of course, the whole point of this ridiculous post is to show how someone can take something that is clearly not living, and by misusing, stretching, or redefining terms, make it appear that their created objects are alive; just as Sidney Fox and (to an even greater degree) Lucaspa have done.

Upvote 0

DNAunion

Sep 9, 2002
Visit site
✟1,109.00
DNAunion: I've done it again!

I went outside and threw a match on the grass, which was dry, creating life.

You see, that fire displayed:

(1) growth (it spread)

(2) reproduction (glowing ambers lofted by the wind sparked off fires in other areas)

(3) metabolism (took in chemical elements from the surroudings, they reacted, and products were released, all involving energy transfers)

(4) response to external stimuli (an eastward-blowing wind blew the flames in one direction while a westward-blowing wind blew the flames in the other direction; water poured on the living organism caused a reduction in metabolism, and gasoline poured on it increased its metabolism).

Upvote 0

Morat

Untitled One
Jun 6, 2002
Visit site
✟12,690.00
Faith
Atheist
  *ahem*. Fire isn't a "thing", it's a by-product of a reaction. Heat and light. :)

What you're talking about, really, is an exothermic reaction between oxygen and a fuel source. There's no actual material object here.

Much less one that grows, reproduces, or reacts to stimuli.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
DNAUnion, both you holes and fire fail to be life because neither have ANABOLISM. While fire has catabolism, it doesn't build new molecules.

BTW, your assertion that water is an organic compound is just too funny for words.

Why don't you try dealing with the real data?

Upvote 0

DNAunion

Sep 9, 2002
Visit site
✟1,109.00
Originally posted by Morat
  *ahem*. Fire isn't a "thing", it's a by-product of a reaction. Heat and light. :)

What you're talking about, really, is an exothermic reaction between oxygen and a fuel source. There's no actual material object here.

Much less one that grows, reproduces, or reacts to stimuli.

DNAunion: Oh, so now we're restricted to only THINGS being alive?

What happened to simply meeting the dictionary's list of criteria? Fire grows, fire reproduces, fire metabolizes, and fire responds to external stimuli - so by the definition we all use (according to Lucaspa), fire is alive.

And what exactly is a thing anyway? Hey, I can reach out and touch fire - I can feel it, I can see it - I can directly measure its temperature, dimensions, rate of growth, etc.

I know. You and the majority of scientists are just jealous that I created life, so you and they are rejecting my claims by restricting definitions out of bias :)

Upvote 0

DNAunion

Sep 9, 2002
Visit site
✟1,109.00
Lucaspa: DNAUnion, both you holes and fire fail to be life because neither have ANABOLISM. While fire has catabolism, it doesn't build new molecules.

DNAunion: Who says you have to have anabolism to have metabolism.

The definition of metabolism we all use is: metabolism - the sum of all chemical reactions that occur in an organism. So even if all of the chemical reactions that occur in my organisms are catabolic, they would still have - by definition - a metabolism.

Gee, playing with definitions is fun, ain't it!

Upvote 0

Morat

Untitled One
Jun 6, 2002
Visit site
✟12,690.00
Faith
Atheist
  Fire doesn't have structure. Fire doesn't grow, it spreads. (There is a distinct difference). If you dumb down "growth" to that level, then water leaving a firehouse has "growth".

Fire doesn't react to stimuli. Heat is merely moved by external forces. If you dumb down "react" to that level, then the orbit of the moon is reaction to stimuli (gravity).

Fire doesn't metabolize. You could, if you wanted, consider the exothermic process that fire is a byproduct of as "metabolizing". Still something of a stretch, and it doesn't even apply to fire, as fire itself is not metabolizing something.

Fire doesn't reproduce, because fire doesn't make more fire. (Fire, after all, is only the byproduct of a reaction). The "reproduction" you see would be identical if caused by fire, or by a kid with a magnifying lens.

Why don't you go back to decent arguments? This one is pretty lame. At the very least, use the biological definitions of "growth", "reaction", "metabolism" and "reproduction" instead of the dictionary ones.

Upvote 0

Erwin

May 13, 2015
✟216,037.00
LOL!

Please go back to biology textbooks and read up on the definition of life. The most basic form of lifeform would be the prion - the protein entity that lacks either RNA or DNA that doesn't even reproduce by duplicating itself, but reproduces by making similar proteins around it change it's polarity to become like it. Unfortunately for human, proteins that are similar to prions exist in our brain, hence if a prion molecule comes into contact with our brain, it starts of a chain reaction causing each of our brain protein molecules to change configuration to resemble the prion - this way our brain degenerates - the Creutzfeld-Jakob Disease or "mad cow disease". Interestingly, prions do not metabolize, they do not grow, they do not convert energy - they are only proteins. Yet most scientist have considered them "alive". They are less "alive" than RNA viruses, but still considered "life".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by DNAunion 
DNAunion: Oh, so now we're restricted to only THINGS being alive?

What happened to simply meeting the dictionary's list of criteria? Fire grows, fire reproduces, fire metabolizes, and fire responds to external stimuli - so by the definition we all use (according to Lucaspa), fire is alive.

Fire only has catabolism.  Metabolism is both catabolism and anabolism. Fire doesn't have the second.

Which you would have realized if you were really thinking about this and not reacting emotionally.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by Erwin
LOL!

Please go back to biology textbooks and read up on the definition of life. The most basic form of lifeform would be the prion - ... Interestingly, prions do not metabolize, they do not grow, they do not convert energy - they are only proteins. Yet most scientist have considered them "alive". They are less "alive" than RNA viruses, but still considered "life".

Erwin, I'd like references to scientists considering prions to be "alive".  They, like viruses, seem to lie somewhere in the gray area between non-life and life.

DNAUnion started this thread because he doesn't like my claim that Fox's protocells are alive.  Instead of dealing with the data, he tries to ridicule the idea by making these strawmen examples.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟278,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This reminds me of the scientist who had a bet with God as to who could create life out of a handful of dirt the quickest. They both grabbed a handful of dirt, until God looked at the scientist and said, "Oh, no, no, no----you go create your own dirt!" ;)

Upvote 0
lucaspa: Fire only has catabolism. Metabolism is both catabolism and anabolism. Fire doesn't have the second.

DNAunion: Metabolism is the sum of all chemical processes that occur in a cell or organism.

Biology:Fifth Edition, Eldra Pearl Solomon, Linda R. Berg, & Diana W. Martin, Saunders College Publishing, 1999

Integrated Principles of Zoology:Tenth Edition, Cleveland P. Hickman Jr., Larry S. Roberts, & Allan Larson, WCB McGraw-Hill, 1996

Concepts of Genetics:Fifth Edition, William S. Klug & Michael R. Cummings, Pentice Hall, 1997

Microbiology:An Introduction:Sixth Edition, Gerard J. Tortora, Berdell R. Funke, & Christine L. Case, Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Co., 1998

Since my fire organisms have chemical reations occuring in them, then they have a metabolism.

Oh, by the way, I have it in print, in a mainstream science book by a famous scientist, that a fire has a metabolism.

The Origins of Life:From the Birth of Life to the Origin of Language, John Maynard Smith & Eors Szathmary, Oxford University Press, 1999

PS: Let's remember that - in this thread - I am not trying to support my position in the proper manner, I am mimicing Lucaspa's arguments for his positions in other threads.

Upvote 0