✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,

I learned that there are low church and high church Anglicans.
So, can yet say that low church is more like Presbyterian/reformed?

How close is the high church to catholic church in theology, liturgy etc?

Blessed be, esdra

High church=lots of ceremony in the ritual

Low church=ritual but less ceremony

So yes, High Church is more like Catholic practice, and Low Church more like Presbyterian or Methodist worship, but neither term refers to doctrine.

Upvote 0

Look Homeward Anglican

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
United States
✟10,751.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Albion pretty much said it all. I have learned to feel comfortable in both high church and low church groups, and I find the diversity refreshing. To be honest, I tend towards high church (which is really a lot more ceremonial in the Anglican church than the typical Catholic experience,) but sometimes I feel more charismatic, more down to earth and simple. I love the variety present in the Anglican churches.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Albion pretty much said it all. I have learned to feel comfortable in both high church and low church groups, and I find the diversity refreshing. To be honest, I tend towards high church (which is really a lot more ceremonial in the Anglican church than the typical Catholic experience,) but sometimes I feel more charismatic, more down to earth and simple. I love the variety present in the Anglican churches.

I'm glad to hear you say this because I feel much the same way. While it seems that people take sides and deride the one they don't feel most connected to, I feel (as you do) that there is something appealing about BOTH of them. High Church is elegant and inspirational, and Low Church is dignified and personal in its simplicity.

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi

thanks all for your interesting posts.

This sounds pretty interesting the concept of Low and High Church in the Anglican Church.

Now other questions:

1) What are the so called Episcopolean Churches [I know it from the US.]? Are they Anglicans? Is there also the concept of Low and High Church?

2) What are the so called Anglo-Catholics? Anglicans who visit High Church masses only?

3) Is it true that you can so to speak choose if you believe in the Real Presence or not? (As some Anglicans are "Calvinists"?)

Thank you again guys, for your answers in advance.

in Christ,
Esdra

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi

thanks all for your interesting posts.

This sounds pretty interesting the concept of Low and High Church in the Anglican Church.

Now other questions:

1) What are the so called Episcopolean Churches [I know it from the US.]? Are they Anglicans?

Yes, The Episcopal Church is a member of the worldwide Anglican Communion. There are also churches that are independent of that organization; they usually term their churches and their members "Anglican" so as not to be mistaken for "Episcopalians." In each of them there are both High Church and Low Church parishes.

2) What are the so called Anglo-Catholics? Anglicans who visit High Church masses only?

They are Anglicans who emphasize the Catholic side of our heritage and are, therefore, somewhat more like the Roman Catholic Church than other Anglicans. This term refers to doctrine whereas High Church refers to ceremony, remember. Most Anglo-Catholics are High Churchmen but some are Low Churchmen, and some Protestant-leaning Anglicans are High Churchmen.

3) Is it true that you can so to speak choose if you believe in the Real Presence or not? (As some Anglicans are "Calvinists"?)

Anglicans are not inclined to police each others' beliefs, but almost all Anglicans believe in the Real Presence, although there are different ways of explaining it. All of our "official" documents and prayer books affirm the Real Presence.

Upvote 0

Trainlady

Feb 18, 2011
United States
✟7,851.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I grew up in the Reformed Church and became an Episcopalian at 35. Part of the reason was the ritual, which was lacking (for me, who loves ritual) in the Reformed Church. Communion was given four or five times a year, and it was a tray of Wonder Bread cubes passed through the pews along with a little shot glass of grape juice. There was no feeling of spiritual presence and true communion with my fellow worshippers that there is in the Episcopal Eucharist. I have only belonged to low churches, although I do enjoy the occasional visit to a high church when it comes up. It's NOTHING, however, like the Reformed Church, which emphasized hell, death, and fear.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I lean more toward the High Church side of things. I love the rich liturgical tradition of the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Tradition. Pretty much every parish I've been to has been pretty high church here in Texas. Not sure if this is just luck of the draw or what...

I get the impression from what I've read elsewhere that this is typical of Texas' Episcopalian and Anglican churches. Seems as though it would be otherwise, but guess not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
E

Episcoboi

I get the impression from what I've read elsewhere that this is typical of Texas' Episcopalian and Anglican churches. Seems as though it would be otherwise, but guess not.

I know...LOL...It surprised me when I first started attending an Episcopal church 6 years ago. I thought certainly Texas would be very low church...But, you are right. In my experience the majority of parishes are high church. In fact I can only name one that was low church in any way shape or form. I don't think it is still active.

Upvote 0

Maid Marie

Zechariah 4:6
Nov 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟19,068.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
I know...LOL...It surprised me when I first started attending an Episcopal church 6 years ago. I thought certainly Texas would be very low church...But, you are right. In my experience the majority of parishes are high church. In fact I can only name one that was low church in any way shape or form. I don't think it is still active.

Wow, a reason to visit Texas. I say visit because I need snow too much to much to ever live there.

I love high church ritual. The more smells and bells the better. But in my area, I mostly only have low church Episcopalian.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
My Episcopal church is "high church", and we call ourselves Anglo-Catholic. However, our doctrine seems to be the standard BCP stuff, not especially Catholic. We do acknowledge "emergent" and Benedictine influence. And our vespers are taken from Franciscan materials. Probably due to the "emergent" influence, we are both ceremonial and informal, and we have music that manages to sound both "hip" and very traditional at the same time.

Upvote 0
E

Episcoboi

Wow, a reason to visit Texas. I say visit because I need snow too much to much to ever live there.

I love high church ritual. The more smells and bells the better. But in my area, I mostly only have low church Episcopalian.

I will say that you won't find as much of the "smell" in the church's here, but the "bells" definitely. The incense comes out on occasion in most parishes, but for the most part only the few Anglo-catholic parishes use it on a regular basis.

Upvote 0
L

luckyfredsdad

Hi all,

I learned that there are low church and high church Anglicans.
So, can yet say that low church is more like Presbyterian/reformed?

How close is the high church to catholic church in theology, liturgy etc?

Blessed be, esdra

The Anglican Faith is the revelation of Christ one made to the saints, or holy people of God. It is interpreted by the Bishops through the Seven Councils . The difference between High & Low, is that in Elizabethan times it was the policy of the monarchs to force unity, for political reasons on their subjects. Abroad they dealt with it in a more stringent fashion. If you refused you were executed by a choice of several ways. In Germany the Emperors buried their subjects alive, In Spain, they were burnt or sent to the gallies, in France, there were massacres, 30,000 people in one night died through a Roman Catholic pogram against Calvinists! In England, After the early Tudors, the non-comformists were treated well enough, the Romans were fined for not going to Church, which was the law, whilst the Calvinists were only too pleased to join the ancient church. The idea being on the Church side that the bishops and priests would be able to return the youth and malleable to the faith, whilst a long hard winter would see the hard line protestant dissenters off.

The faith of the Church in England was after the Reformation what it was before, Catholic!

Reactions: Maid Marie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Anglican Faith is the revelation of Christ one made to the saints, or holy people of God. It is interpreted by the Bishops through the Seven Councils . The difference between High & Low, is that in Elizabethan times it was the policy of the monarchs to force unity, for political reasons on their subjects. Abroad they dealt with it in a more stringent fashion. If you refused you were executed by a choice of several ways. In Germany the Emperors buried their subjects alive, In Spain, they were burnt or sent to the gallies, in France, there were massacres, 30,000 people in one night died through a Roman Catholic pogram against Calvinists! In England, After the early Tudors, the non-comformists were treated well enough, the Romans were fined for not going to Church, which was the law, whilst the Calvinists were only too pleased to join the ancient church. The idea being on the Church side that the bishops and priests would be able to return the youth and malleable to the faith, whilst a long hard winter would see the hard line protestant dissenters off.

The faith of the Church in England was after the Reformation what it was before, Catholic!

Man, what a cruel story...

I have the BocP at home now, mhm, it does sound Catholic, but somehow also a "protestant undertone" is heard...
Don't know how I could describe that.

Upvote 0
E

Episcoboi

Man, what a cruel story...

I have the BocP at home now, mhm, it does sound Catholic, but somehow also a "protestant undertone" is heard...
Don't know how I could describe that.

We like to think of it as a Via Media (middle way) between Protestantism and Catholicism. You have to remember that, at the start, the Anglican Communion (at the time just the Church of England) did not leave Rome for reasons of doctrine (at least not strictly so), but for political reasons. Some doctrinal changes came with reform-minded bishops, priests, and laity...But the reformation in the Church of England was minimal when compared to the reforms in other national churches of the time.

Upvote 0

UKChristian

Nov 12, 2006
✟15,262.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
Where I live supposedly has more churches per square mile than anywhere else in Christendom(which having spent time in the Southern states of the USA I find a little difficult to believe but moving on...). About 80% of these churches are Anglican so I have a choice between low church, high church and anything inbetween. Lol. My church is perfect for me. It has a low church feel to it but can at times get a bit high church when need be. I do have a church I occasionally go to as an alternative if I want a full blown High Church Anglo Catholic experience(which occasionally is just what I need).

Upvote 0