Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Recommending "Love and Respect" for any couple. It's written by Emerson Eggerichs who was a pastor. The book is the result of counseling numerous couples plus he and his wife had a lot of difficulties early in their marriage. Amazon's kindle version is $9.99 and it's free on their audible trial. It's rated 4.6 out of 5.

It's a wealth of information to help relationships.

Last edited:

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Maybe you missed this review: Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Love & Respect: The Love She Most Desires; The Respect He Desperately Needs

Avid Reader said:
On page 282, Dr. Eggerichs admits that his advice isn’t working for many people. That he receives tons of letters from frustrated people who have tried that advice in their marriage only to watch it backfire on them. Then he quotes from a letter where a wife actually “regrets” telling her husband “what I learned from you because he uses it against me each time. I can take the criticism. I feel I deserve it—but his rage…makes me want to get away and hide.”

That says it all right there. So what exactly is backfiring on these people?

First of all let’s look at the main focus of this book.

Dr. Eggerichs writes, “My theory says that the wife has a tendency to react in ways that feel disrespectful to the husband—thus the command to respect—and the husband has a tendency to react in ways that feel unloving to the wife—thus the command to love.” (p. 319)

“A man needs to feel honored for who he is—the image and glory of God—because God made him that way.” (p. 322)

Of course, husbands need respect, but aren’t wives also made in God’s image and thus deserving of respect, too?

Dr. Eggerichs insists, “I still believe that women want love far more than respect and men want respect far more than love. I’ll illustrate that from the greeting card industry” which is one of the best “examples of women’s deepest values.” (p. 48)

“When women buy greeting cards for their husbands, they want to express love for them; they don’t even think about respect. Sadly, the deepest yearning of husbands goes unmet because wives—and the card publishers—are locked into relaying sentiments of love.”

Later he adds,

“Women are the ones who have babies and that’s one reason that birthdays are a big deal to them.” (p. 177)

“Wives don’t need a lot of coaching on being loving. It’s something God built into them and they do it naturally. However they do need help with respect” because “this a foreign term to many women.” (p. 183)

“This is not about the husband deserving respect; it’s about the wife being willing to treat her husband respectfully WITHOUT CONDITIONS.” (p. 18)[...]

Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Over the past year (2019) blogger Sheila Gregoire has critically examined Love and Respect, and interviewed thousands of women concerning the teachings found in this book. The results and conclusions are very concerning. I urge anyone who may be interested in this book to listen to what Sheila has to say.

Here is her first post, from January, 2019. There are links to more at the bottom.

A Review of Love and Respect: How the Book Gets Sex Horribly Wrong | To Love, Honor and Vacuum

Last edited:
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It is too simple to be true. It's a doctrine and a book and a video series and an entire ministry built on Eggerich's interpretation of Ephesians 5:33.

But the fact is, men also need love. Women also need respect.

Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, Titus 2:4 (NIV)

Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers. 1 Peter 3:7 (NIV)

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But the fact is, men also need love. Women also need respect.
Exactly - and love isn't genuine if it's void of respect. IOW - love & respect aren't separate. Love IS respect. We are called to love even our enemies - what does that look like if respect is removed?

• Agree
Reactions: Gregorikos
Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly - and love isn't genuine if it's void of respect. IOW - love & respect aren't separate. Love IS respect. We are called to love even our enemies - what does that look like if respect is removed?

I have a slightly different perspective; I don't think love and respect are the same thing. I do think a healthy marriage needs both partners having love and respect for each other. Regarding love and enemies, my understanding is we are called to love our spouses in essentially all the Greek definitions of love - Eros, Philia, Ludus, Agape, Pragma. Our enemies would be in the agape area only, maybe Philia.

Doesn't change the key point of your post though.

Regarding the book, I know it has had value for many couples who have healthy understanding of relationships in general and resonate with the philosophy. That is why it has so many fans. However, I have been also seen with some damaged marriages in the church that this book with its patriarchal undertones has also been harmful for people in destructive, emotionally and verbally abusive marriages. I've seen this book enable abusers and be referenced by church leadership to enable abusers. I get that many things can be misapplied, sure. But errors in Eggriches' underlying priciples makes it too easy for this one to be used in that way.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Regarding love and enemies, my understanding is we are called to love our spouses in essentially all the Greek definitions of love - Eros, Philia, Ludus, Agape, Pragma. Our enemies would be in the agape area only, maybe Philia.
I agree. Do you remember DallasApple? She used to always say, "you can't love someone BUT disrespect them". The two go hand-in-hand. You also can't disrespect someone and genuinely be loving them. I may just go look for a direct quote of hers.....she said it best (and I'm missing her words right now).

ETA: From Dallas

Dallasapple said:
The problem with that WHOLE idea for me is ..that in marriage LOVE and RESPECT cant be told apart.(for me)They are completely intertwined and one cant exist without the other..And if you dont "respect' someone there is nothing else to say but you are 'disrespectful" and last I heard disprespect is unloving..and usually if you are doing or actign "unloving' it will as well be a form of disrespect..I've challenged anyone to tell me how they can be told apart..every example of respect you could easily call it "loving" and vice versa..and since its been explained to me more than once that neither of those are a "feeling' then you cant tell me they aren't one and the same in a "love' based relationship..

Last edited:
Upvote 0