Lots of denominations, Catholics, Calvinists, Lutherans, Baptists.. etc. etc.

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟112,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Are all of these saved? Does it matter which denomination or sect you belong to...?

How much leeway is there when it comes to personal preference, or are there denominations that are wrong?

Are all the main ones that we find on this site basically ok?

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are all of these saved? Does it matter which denomination or sect you belong to...?

How much leeway is there when it comes to personal preference, or are there denominations that are wrong?

I advocate for a more or less Ecumenical/Trans-Denominational approach to Trinitarian Christian faith. In that, I expect everyone to have some wrong thinking packed into his/her theology, but being saved is a matter of a person's heart before the Lord, not the massive (or necesserily accurate) accumulation of irrefutable facts about Jesus.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

There are Christian in all of them - born again saved Christians - but not everyone in church is saved.
Each church that is its own denomination has at least one doctrinal distinctive or tradition distinctive that makes it unique.

Almost all of them have at least one doctrine in opposition to at least one other denomination.

As Christians we read the Bible and find the church that most closely promotes the teaching of God as we find it in His Word - the Bible.

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You don't need any denomination. What you need is a relationship with Christ. If a denomination helps then so be it. They all excel in some areas and flunk in others. Be inter-denominational.

Upvote 0

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟10,241.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Why would like to put yourself into a category invented my men? There is only one truth, the one from the Bible, more precisely the words of Jesus Christ the messiah, the son of GOD. You understand all these so called denominations cannot be true, Follow the teachings of Jesus, you cannot go wrong if you do so. Do you know the message Jesus preached? it is the good news of the kingdom of Heaven.

Peace be upon you.

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Study the life of Jesus ... He is our example in everything .... there are indeed false teachings .... if one patterns their life after Jesus then one don't need to worry about the doctrines of churches.

“For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps” (1 Peter 2:21).

Upvote 0

enoob57

Feb 16, 2022
Grove, Ok.
✟46,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced

If you wish to know the truth then you must go to the Scripture for God, Himself, guarantees it is:
John 8:32 (KJV)
[32] And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
John 17:17 (KJV)
[17] Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello Tellyontellyon, God saves people/individuals, not institutions (not churches and/or denominations), though I believe that every church/denomination, at least those whose teachings fall within the pale of Christian orthodoxy, have people who are saved within them (and many, as well and sadly, who are not, just like the Bible makes clear to us).

As far as belonging to a particular sect or denomination being important or not, that could be answered with both a "yes" and a "no" ;) (as long as the institution in question holds to the most important tenets of the Christian faith, that is .. e.g. the Apostles' Creed, the Nicene Creed, the Symbol of Chalcedon .. and you could certainly add the Athanasian Creed into that mix).

Denominations (in many ways like the Great Schism of the Church in 1054 AD, which resulted in the split that still exists today between the Eastern Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church) allow people to gather together with others who 1. hold the most foundational tenets of the Christian faith as one, but who also 2. have differing beliefs in other, less foundational areas of the Christian faith.

So then, the level of importance that a person assigns to one or more of these #2 kind of beliefs will determine how important it is to him/her to belong to a particular sect/denomination/church that holds them, as well (and to many, these kinds of differences are VERY important, just FYI).

--David
p.s. - I'm actually a fan of having our various churches and denominations, because they help remind us that God may be slightly larger than the church and/or denominational boxes that we like to put Him in. It also keeps any one group from having too much say so (or power) over the Christian faith in general, which with human beings, rarely, if ever, leads to anything good ;) .. as I'm certain that you are already aware.

edit: Just FYI, Catholics, Lutherans, Baptists are people who are associated with a particular church or denomination. Calvinists, on the other hand, like Arminians, are people who hold to a particular systematic theology or set of beliefs (so, there is no "Calvinist" or "Arminian" church, as such, though there are churches that hold to the tenets of Calvinism, to one degree or another, just like there are churches that hold to the tenets of Arminianism, to one degree of another).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Are there any groups, churches, theological positions that form a definite obstacle to salvation?
Those that promote serving self, be it personally, the world or the institution. The whole purpose is to serve others and the Kingdom, not the ways of man.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟84,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I don't believe in denominations. What matter is your personal relationship with God.

I go to a presbyterian church, but I am not presbyterian. What I care about is that God's presence is there and the church is faithful to God, and as long as they are, I don't care what the denomination is.

Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe in denominations. What matter is your personal relationship with God.

I go to a presbyterian church, but I am not presbyterian. What I care about is that God's presence is there and the church is faithful to God, and as long as they are, I don't care what the denomination is.
This is basically how I feel.

I attend an Episcopal church but I am not an Episcopalian, and there are other churches in the denomination that I would feel uncomfortable attending. If my congregation or the denomination as a whole went off the rails, I would simply start attending elsewhere.

Upvote 0

RonJohnSilver

Nov 1, 2023
Temple
✟13,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think there are faithful Christians in most denominations.
Salvation is not determined by a denomination but by a relationship with Jesus. Thus, in most every denomination you will find solid, legitimate believers and, by the same standard, in most every denomination you will find 'pretenders', those who, for whatever reason, think that they are genuine believers but are not. Sometimes their belief is due to bad doctrine, sometimes due to their own pretense (I'm in a church therefore I'm a Christian), sometimes due to attending a church that teaches a social gospel rather than the true gospel. So, what churches teach 'bad' or unbiblical doctrine? That varies almost church by church but, in general, avoid Catholics, Seventh day Adventists and some (not all) mainline denominations (Episcopal, Presbyterian, Lutheran). Many of those are just too liberal. Again, though, not all. Even generally solid churches like Baptist, Methodist, Church of Christ need to be examined individually. There are some stinkers in those groups too. Avoid totally Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Eastern denominations. What constitutes 'bad doctrine'? 1. Universalism (everyone goes to Heaven) 2. Empty Rituals/Rules (Catholic, some others), 3. Social Gospel (many, it's pervasive), 4. Legalism (our way only, that is, our denomination only). 5. Any deviation/addition/subtraction/rewording of the Bible. Again and finally, each church is its own entity, within solid denominations there are always some bad apples and some solid churches in questionable denominations. Always pray and hold their teaching against the Bible.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis is a good book to read to see where traditional, common Christian faith is held among the Orthodox, Catholic, & Protestant groups.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Are all of these saved?

As a Lutheran I believe that one is saved by God's grace alone, through faith alone. Meaning that anyone and everyone whose trust is in Jesus Christ is (being) saved. That means that, yes, I accept and, indeed, affirm the salvation of Christians throughout the many different denominations and theological traditions that currently exist.

Does it matter which denomination or sect you belong to...?

In what sense?

I think one should be where their conviction puts them.

This site uses the Nicene Creed as the baseline of what is and isn't Christian. To that end, yes, any tradition or denomination that affirms Nicea is certainly better than one that rejects it.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0