Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
lostlabyrinth.png

Lost and found in the labyrinth at the ER

Last week, I made a trip to the ER at “Piedmont Hospital Downtown”. It has been at the location for over 50 years I believe. I was there in 1976 for an eye operation and was impressed by the quality of care. It still has a good reputation. Of course, it is much bigger now and it would seem that every inch of ground is now covered by buildings or parking lots.

When we arrived, the brother I was with was taken right away for some tests. Our doctor put him in their computer system and ordered an MRI for a possibly serious problem. I stayed in the waiting room, which is always full. This time, I believe most of the people there were suffering from the Flu. Some were more agitated, angry, and outspoken about the long wait. Others were reading or talking to the person who brought them in.

After a couple of hours, I guess it was around 10:30 PM, I was called back. The brother was in a hallway on a stretcher bed, all other rooms were filled. He was in front of a cubicle that had a woman who had the flu, and was waiting to be taken up to a room. She had a terrible hacking cough.

Around 11 PM I asked if there was a sandwich available for the brother with me. They were out, but she told me that they have a Panera restaurant in the building that was open until midnight. She gave me directions, and I went out to find the eatery. I walked, walked, and walked. I thought this building was made for a truck to drive in, not for people to walk around. I finally found it, and brought back two items of food. They did not have much, since they were about to close. However, they were chicken sandwiches, so pretty good hunting trip.

So I got back to the ER and they let me back into the back. I thought I knew where the brother was. I took a right and a left and well, not there. So I went down another hallway took a right and sure enough, he was not there. After the third turn, I was thinking “just how big is this place”. It was starting to feel like some sort of labyrinth. It got to be funny, and I thought they are moving him around so I can’t find him! I got to a desk where some nurses were, and said in a wistful voice: “Will someone please help me”. A nurse asked me who I was looking for, I gave the name, and she looked it up and told me he was in hallway 34. I said, really! She laughed and led me through another round of hallways and finally I arrived. I asked her just how big this place is. She laughed and told me it is big and takes some time to learn one’s way around.

I left soon after that. The way home was way easier than the one in. After 11 PM the traffic is not so bad.-Br.MD