• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Losing the "One" to Jehovah's Witness & other woes

HopefulHepatica

Beauty from Ashes
Apr 24, 2018
West Coast
✟12,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Oh dear...I was really debating whether or not I should post this, but I really am in need of a Christian's perspective (thus, fresh insight) into my situation.

I am currently going through a very difficult season, the most difficult I feel, in recent years.

I lost my steady job of (almost) 5 years, the friends I'd made there too, and most of all, my boyfriend. This is someone I had almost all certainty, I was meant to be with, that God had put into my life and that everything was going to work out...

Some background: I was raised by two devout non-denom Christian parents, who met through their church back home. I always believed that one day, I would marry & have children, with every intention of waiting for marriage. Even as I fell away from those things, it was always in my personality to practice restraint. I didn't ever casually date and I was very cautious in regards to crushes and how I'd go about them (mostly I left them alone because they didn't make sense to pursue, i.e. not in my best interest.) I gave my heart to Jesus at seventeen, but had a rough road in college when my parents divorced & my mom got really sick, and I dropped out of school to take care of my family. I went through periods of restoring my relationship with God, and then getting distant again.

Of course, at end of last year, I met someone during a period in my life where I wasn't close to God. I never imagined though, that things would turn out like this.

I became friendly with a man a few years older than me, who was going through a divorce. He also has a 3 year old son with his ex-wife, who he felt very torn up about. I came to realize he carries the burden of guilt, raised in a Jehovah's Witness background, taught to suppress everything and feel ashamed of everything. As an only child, he felt the responsibility of being a good son, but was unable to keep up with the commands of his family's faith, and found himself excommunicated at 19. They practice shunning, so that moment he lost his entire family and the people he grew up with. I can only imagine the kind of pain and fear that would put into someone so young. He ran off to the west with his girlfriend at the time, and just kind of kept drifting along.

He'd move back home when things didn't work out there and try to reconnect with his family & their faith, but fail again. He'd find himself falling for a long-time friend he worked with, and when her divorce finalized, they got together. They'd later marry and have a son together. She wasn't very good to him, very dishonest and cheated on him a few times, but he kept trying to make it work. Finally she came to him one day and said she was leaving him, and he had to move out. She then took up with his best friend (now former), and he'd realize that they'd been going behind his back for many months. That kind of thing...I imagine, would be devastating.

As he was trying to get back on his feet and sort out his life, that's when I came in. I was cautious in the beginning because of his situation, and yet he kept insisting he was "passed it" because they'd been emotionally separated for over eight months. We'd talk as friends and share things, and he'd ask for advice on what to do about his son. He felt such tremendous guilt over the failed relationship, and felt that he couldn't be the full-time parent he should be, and often contemplated remaining in his son's life, if it was for the best. It broke my heart.

In any case, after a month he seemed to become more content with things. He was happier and we talked every single day. We just had so much in common and had this intense connection, like we would be thinking about the same things or find ourselves finishing each other's thoughts out loud. He was very patient and kind and encouraging and funny, was very generous and people-oriented, he'd help strangers he saw in the street or in the grocery store. He was very responsible with money and keeping after his apartment, and I was just overall impressed with the maturity and the way he was coming into his own and handling his situation. He's a good worker at his job and supervises inmates, and treats them as fellow man and often listens to them and councils them. He's got these amazing abilities to listen and pays attention to detail, he'd recall something you'd told him, even in passing or seemingly so small, many weeks later.

Low and behold, we'd fall in love. We were convinced at one point, we were meant to find one another and that we belonged together. I'd never been in love period, and he was convinced he'd never been in love in this way before. He was just so enthralled by my kindness and empathy and thoughtfulness, and would say that I was so special and so sweet. I'd sometimes talk about God, but he was so hurt over the whole Jehovah's Witness thing, it was hard for him to put into his heart. I also wasn't in a good place with God so I stupidly buried it, instead of pursued it. I wouldn't have made so many mistakes.

In the time we were together I feel like God revealed to me a lot about this person, his burdens and his past, his heart...and highlighted all of his gifts. One one of our dates, we went to an art museum and there was a section on artwork of biblical events & figures. He'd recall scripture and spend time really looking at these pieces, more then he did anything else. I remember him saying he liked that I knew the stories and what he was referring to. I feel that perhaps God wanted me to have more of a voice, and use these reminders to reconnect with Him, but I foolishly didn't.

Things progressed between us and because he was such an open and honest person, and in comparing how he was in previous relationships (incredibly loyal and even when things were bad, had difficulty leaving a relationship) I never thought for a moment I would ever lose him. I was so certain that we were meant to be together, that he was the person I'd waited for my whole life. I started staying at his apartment with him, and I lost my virginity.

I made 2 very grievous mistakes there. 1) He was not entirely divorced yet. The paperwork has been processing for months, but is not finalized. By law, he is recognized as married. Yet, in my foolishness, I believed that since both he and his ex's hearts had moved on, as she'd taken up with another man, that this wasn't an affair of the heart, therefore it was OK. (My mother later would tell me I still broke the commandment and I hate that it took her telling me, to realize this.) and the more obvious one, I didn't wait, and had sex before marriage.

Then one day, everything would change. It's kind of like reality came crashing down on us, and in particular, on him. The family that he'd lost over eleven years ago, would suddenly resurface. His grandmother fell gravely ill and his mother did something tremendous and reached out to him by phone. He'd been taken by surprise at work, receiving her call. She was crying and pleading with him to come home and find a way to "make things right" and see his grandmother before she passed, and that she missed him. He'd come home that day and I knew something wasn't right, but he didn't say a word to me about it. The next day he went with me to my mother's surgery as support, but we didn't talk much. Then, we said goodbye outside of the hospital after he helped me with my mother & her things, and he drove away.

No word from him afterwards, whatsoever, which was extremely troublesome because he was always contacting me. I finally got a hold of him the next day, and that's when he told me what happened. He said he started feeling guilty because it stirred up all kinds of old thoughts & feelings, and put him in a very mixed up place. I realized by "make things right", he'd have to attempt reinstatement with Jehovah's Witness. It's a long and drawn out process that demands so much on the person to prove their repentance to a council of men. That in itself is ungodly, and I tried to find a way to explain that to him, but I realized this was his spiritual journey and I couldn't choose for him.

It was a very painful, drawn out breakup over the month. He had difficulty letting go and finding the words, and fluctuated between wanting to keep me near and then wanting to push me out. He also struggled going back and forth between getting reinstated, having been so on fire for God to suddenly wanting nothing to do with it. The worst part about it is, I couldn't find my voice. God wanted me to speak but I felt unworthy because I'd lost my connection to Him. In this time of great pain and confusion, I decided if he was going to pursue his old faith, then I needed to council mine.

In my brokenness, God has done AMAZING things inside of me. He humbled me to my many mistakes, my foolishness, and I reconciled my sins with Him in prayer and mourned painfully for a month. He gave me the strength to not lash out in pride or allow my emotions to control the situation, and I was also under attack for a month during my grieving. Severe insomnia, depression, unable to really eat or drink. I'd be filled with all of these horrible thoughts and feelings, and continue to seek God in prayer & His word to combat them. I truly feel He's lifted so much from me, and a few nights ago, I was restored my joy and my peace. I could sleep again, I could eat again, and I could laugh and smile again.

Yet, I'm still feeling so torn up over this. He finally officially broke up with me on Sunday, citing the painful confusion and depression he was experiencing, resenting himself for hurting me in such a way and being unable to fulfill his promises in being with me. He needed to learn how to be alone and figure out what he's doing with his life, on his own.

I've never dealt with anything quite like this, and it's just this...ebb and flow, back and forth, over what it all means. I don't like to imagine that I gave myself into this situation only to lose him forever. I don't like to think that my failures reflect a failure overall. My heart feels in such a way that it can't open itself to anyone else, ever again, and I can't imagine anyone else, but him. Even though I know a God-centered man is right, and while he had all the qualities I'd ever wanted in a person, he was lacking the most important one: a relationship with God.

Because I still love this man, it's hard for me to imagine him hurting in such a way, and being confused and misled by a cult like Jehovah's Witness. His ache, what he's missing and searching for, is clearly God. So my parting words to him were a letter filled with prayer and hope and messages of Jesus and scripture pertaining to Him and what God put on my heart over his life, when I prayed for him. The separation needed to happen, God needed me to pull away from him and his situation and knowing myself and my inability to end it, he wound up being the one to do it. He's on his own journey and needs to reconcile, and I needed to reconcile with God for my actions and overall, repair my relationship with Him and put Him first, where He should be.

I keep praying that he'll open his heart and find God, and that God protects him. I don't know why I'm obsessing over this still, when I really should be moving on. It just hurts so much...and it's hard for me to fathom this whole thing happening, for seemingly nothing. We don't talk anymore, at this point we're just removed completely. I know at this point it's for the best, but it still hurts. I really would like some advice and prayers to settle this and move forward from here. Yet I just can't seem to shake the whole...idea that we were meant to be together, somehow, someway.

Thanks. This was very difficult to put into words, but I appreciate the time. I know it's quite long.

Last edited:

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh dear...I was really debating whether or not I should post this, but I really am in need of a Christian's perspective (thus, fresh insight) into my situation.

I am currently going through a very difficult season, the most difficult I feel, in recent years.

I lost my steady job of (almost) 5 years, the friends I'd made there too, and most of all, my boyfriend. This is someone I had almost all certainty, I was meant to be with, that God had put into my life and that everything was going to work out...

Some background: I was raised by two devout non-denom Christian parents, who met through their church back home. I always believed that one day, I would marry & have children, with every intention of waiting for marriage. Even as I fell away from those things, it was always in my personality to practice restraint. I didn't ever casually date and I was very cautious in regards to crushes and how I'd go about them (mostly I left them alone because they didn't make sense to pursue, i.e. not in my best interest.) I gave my heart to Jesus at seventeen, but had a rough road in college when my parents divorced & my mom got really sick, and I dropped out of school to take care of my family. I went through periods of restoring my relationship with God, and then getting distant again.

Of course, at end of last year, I met someone during a period in my life where I wasn't close to God. I never imagined though, that things would turn out like this.

I became friendly with a man a few years older than me, who was going through a divorce. He also has a 3 year old son with his ex-wife, who he felt very torn up about. I came to realize he carries the burden of guilt, raised in a Jehovah's Witness background, taught to suppress everything and feel ashamed of everything. As an only child, he felt the responsibility of being a good son, but was unable to keep up with the commands of his family's faith, and found himself excommunicated at 19. They practice shunning, so that moment he lost his entire family and the people he grew up with. I can only imagine the kind of pain and fear that would put into someone so young. He ran off to the west with his girlfriend at the time, and just kind of kept drifting along.

He'd move back home when things didn't work out there and try to reconnect with his family & their faith, but fail again. He'd find himself falling for a long-time friend he worked with, and when her divorce finalized, they got together. They'd later marry and have a son together. She wasn't very good to him, very dishonest and cheated on him a few times, but he kept trying to make it work. Finally she came to him one day and said she was leaving him, and he had to move out. She then took up with his best friend (now former), and he'd realize that they'd been going behind his back for many months. That kind of thing...I imagine, would be devastating.

As he was trying to get back on his feet and sort out his life, that's when I came in. I was cautious in the beginning because of his situation, and yet he kept insisting he was "passed it" because they'd been emotionally separated for over eight months. We'd talk as friends and share things, and he'd ask for advice on what to do about his son. He felt such tremendous guilt over the failed relationship, and felt that he couldn't be the full-time parent he should be, and often contemplated remaining in his son's life, if it was for the best. It broke my heart.

In any case, after a month he seemed to become more content with things. He was happier and we talked every single day. We just had so much in common and had this intense connection, like we would be thinking about the same things or find ourselves finishing each other's thoughts out loud. He was very patient and kind and encouraging and funny, was very generous and people-oriented, he'd help strangers he saw in the street or in the grocery store. He was very responsible with money and keeping after his apartment, and I was just overall impressed with the maturity and the way he was coming into his own and handling his situation. He's a good worker at his job and supervises inmates, and treats them as fellow man and often listens to them and councils them. He's got these amazing abilities to listen and pays attention to detail, he'd recall something you'd told him, even in passing or seemingly so small, many weeks later.

Low and behold, we'd fall in love. We were convinced at one point, we were meant to find one another and that we belonged together. I'd never been in love period, and he was convinced he'd never been in love in this way before. He was just so enthralled by my kindness and empathy and thoughtfulness, and would say that I was so special and so sweet. I'd sometimes talk about God, but he was so hurt over the whole Jehovah's Witness thing, it was hard for him to put into his heart. I also wasn't in a good place with God so I stupidly buried it, instead of pursued it. I wouldn't have made so many mistakes.

In the time we were together I feel like God revealed to me a lot about this person, his burdens and his past, his heart...and highlighted all of his gifts. One one of our dates, we went to an art museum and there was a section on artwork of biblical events & figures. He'd recall scripture and spend time really looking at these pieces, more then he did anything else. I remember him saying he liked that I knew the stories and what he was referring to. I feel that perhaps God wanted me to have more of a voice, and use these reminders to reconnect with Him, but I foolishly didn't.

Things progressed between us and because he was such an open and honest person, and in comparing how he was in previous relationships (incredibly loyal and even when things were bad, had difficulty leaving a relationship) I never thought for a moment I would ever lose him. I was so certain that we were meant to be together, that he was the person I'd waited for my whole life. I started staying at his apartment with him, and I lost my virginity.

I made 2 very grievous mistakes there. 1) He was not entirely divorced yet. The paperwork has been processing for months, but is not finalized. By law, he is recognized as married. Yet, in my foolishness, I believed that since both he and his ex's hearts had moved on, as she'd taken up with another man, that this wasn't an affair of the heart, therefore it was OK. (My mother later would tell me I still broke the commandment and I hate that it took her telling me, to realize this.) and the more obvious one, I didn't wait, and had sex before marriage.

Then one day, everything would change. It's kind of like reality came crashing down on us, and in particular, on him. The family that he'd lost over eleven years ago, would suddenly resurface. His grandmother fell gravely ill and his mother did something tremendous and reached out to him by phone. He'd been taken by surprise at work, receiving her call. She was crying and pleading with him to come home and find a way to "make things right" and see his grandmother before she passed, and that she missed him. He'd come home that day and I knew something wasn't right, but he didn't say a word to me about it. The next day he went with me to my mother's surgery as support, but we didn't talk much. Then, we said goodbye outside of the hospital after he helped me with my mother & her things, and he drove away.

No word from him afterwards, whatsoever, which was extremely troublesome because he was always contacting me. I finally got a hold of him the next day, and that's when he told me what happened. He said he started feeling guilty because it stirred up all kinds of old thoughts & feelings, and put him in a very mixed up place. I realized by "make things right", he'd have to attempt reinstatement with Jehovah's Witness. It's a long and drawn out process that demands so much on the person to prove their repentance to a council of men. That in itself is ungodly, and I tried to find a way to explain that to him, but I realized this was his spiritual journey and I couldn't choose for him.

It was a very painful, drawn out breakup over the month. He had difficulty letting go and finding the words, and fluctuated between wanting to keep me near and then wanting to push me out. He also struggled going back and forth between getting reinstated, having been so on fire for God to suddenly wanting nothing to do with it. The worst part about it is, I couldn't find my voice. God wanted me to speak but I felt unworthy because I'd lost my connection to Him. In this time of great pain and confusion, I decided if he was going to pursue his old faith, then I needed to council mine.

In my brokenness, God has done AMAZING things inside of me. He humbled me to my many mistakes, my foolishness, and I reconciled my sins with Him in prayer and mourned painfully for a month. He gave me the strength to not lash out in pride or allow my emotions to control the situation, and I was also under attack for a month during my grieving. Severe insomnia, depression, unable to really eat or drink. I'd be filled with all of these horrible thoughts and feelings, and continue to seek God in prayer & His word to combat them. I truly feel He's lifted so much from me, and a few nights ago, I was restored my joy and my peace. I could sleep again, I could eat again, and I could laugh and smile again.

Yet, I'm still feeling so torn up over this. He finally officially broke up with me on Sunday, citing the painful confusion and depression he was experiencing, resenting himself for hurting me in such a way and being unable to fulfill his promises in being with me. He needed to learn how to be alone and figure out what he's doing with his life, on his own.

I've never dealt with anything quite like this, and it's just this...ebb and flow, back and forth, over what it all means. I don't like to imagine that I gave myself into this situation only to lose him forever. I don't like to think that my failures reflect a failure overall. My heart feels in such a way that it can't open itself to anyone else, ever again, and I can't imagine anyone else, but him. Even though I know a God-centered man is right, and while he had all the qualities I'd ever wanted in a person, he was lacking the most important one: a relationship with God.

Because I still love this man, it's hard for me to imagine him hurting in such a way, and being confused and misled by a cult like Jehovah's Witness. His ache, what he's missing and searching for, is clearly God. So my parting words to him were a letter filled with prayer and hope and messages of Jesus and scripture pertaining to Him and what God put on my heart over his life, when I prayed for him. The separation needed to happen, God needed me to pull away from him and his situation and knowing myself and my inability to end it, he wound up being the one to do it. He's on his own journey and needs to reconcile, and I needed to reconcile with God for my actions and overall, repair my relationship with Him and put Him first, where He should be.

I keep praying that he'll open his heart and find God, and that God protects him. I don't know why I'm obsessing over this still, when I really should be moving on. It just hurts so much...and it's hard for me to fathom this whole thing happening, for seemingly nothing. We don't talk anymore, at this point we're just removed completely. I know at this point it's for the best, but it still hurts. I really would like some advice and prayers to settle this and move forward from here. Yet I just can't seem to shake the whole...idea that we were meant to be together, somehow, someway.

Thanks. This was very difficult to put into words, but I appreciate the time. I know it's quite long.

It may have had to go down like this in order for you to not get lost in JW. I know its painful, but getting caught up with them would be worse. You see what it did to him.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Romans 8:28 "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

1 Thess 5:18 "In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Lost my girlfriend to that one too. I haven't seen or heard from her since about 1985 now. Earlier this year I was with my wife and some friends on a visit to St. George's Orthodox Church in Taylor, PA. It was a special occasion there because there was not just one wonder-working, myrrh gushing icon there as usual, but two, because the Iveron icon of the Theotokos (my avatar) was making a circuit on the east coast and was also there on that night. Thus, the Church was overflowing with people. A woman I didn't know started a conversation with me amidst the crowd, and at one point she told me that she had been a Jehovah's Witness, from a Jehovah's Witness family, but had converted to Eastern Orthodox Christianity. I commented that there couldn't be a greater difference between the beliefs and practices of that cult and the Orthodox Church, and that the reason I knew that is because I had been forced to break up with a girl of whom I was very fond of on account of our most irreconcilable religions. Sometimes, they make it out. Some how or another, some of them figure things out. The grace of God, perhaps?

I plan on going back to Taylor, PA where the icon is, tomorrow, with my Orthodox wife of 30 years, to sing along with the throng of others -- Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant, Former Jehovah's Witnessess, Mormons, Muslims, and simply the lost people trying to find some reason to believe that God could still be real, who ultimately come and wind up and sing praises to our Great God, the most Holy Trinity.

The one we marry in the Faith is the one who, after time, is the the one we were meant to be with forever, because Holy Matrimony is.... well... it's Holy. It is God's gift to us, even though it may often seem like hell, we keep ourselves there and despair not. It's the manner of our final departure from this world that counts more than anything. A long marriage in Christ, our Savior and our God, will prepare us to depart in the manner of all of God's holy ones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DW1980

Don
Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2017
Scotland
✟121,809.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK - SNP
Hi

I can "hear" your pain in your words, I am praying for you.

It sounds like there are a couple of issues here - it often helps to break things down. If you look at the "whole mess" it can seem huge and intimidating. Breaking things down means you have smaller "chunks" to take care of. That's a lot easier. Here's how I see it:

Most importantly
Keep your eyes on Jesus. Whatever has happened or will happen, he's right there with you. Nothing is more important than that. Take time out to be with Jesus - there are no hard and fast rules, there may be times you spend praying, reading the Bible, or just resting in his presence. Invite the Holy Spirit to come and surround you with his peace and comfort, to fill you and just enjoy being in his arms. Allow God to comfort you.

Forgiveness
You have recognised your sin, and if you have confessed this to God you are forgiven. Jesus took your sins on the cross, he doesn't condemn you - so what business do you have condemning yourself? Romans 8:1 says, "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus". Clearly there are consequences for sin here and now, and it sounds like you are all too aware of that, but it has to be kept in check with the reality of where you stand with God. Stop punishing yourself - Jesus already did that on your behalf!

His choices
As painful as it is, you are not responsible for other people's choices. As you know and mentioned, the Jehovah's Witnesses practice shunning. This is incredibly cruel and is a form of control. In his case it is working - how painful it must be for him to be alienated from his family (which should be one of the closest bonds we have). His choice is wrong - he's putting the JWs and his family ahead of God, but it is his choice to make. As you recognised, he has no relationship with God and so is being guided by his sinful, unregenerate, nature (see Romans 8:5-17). You have done your part, you have to now leave his future in God's hands, trust him, and in time you will heal.

Where you go from here
It sounds like God is already healing you - and that's amazing news. Keep trusting him and focusing on him. You said
My heart feels in such a way that it can't open itself to anyone else, ever again, and I can't imagine anyone else, but him.

Of course you feel like that. This is perfectly natural, so for now, acknowledge that and commit your future to God. Here's an illustration a pastor at my last Church used, I hope you find it helpful. At the moment you're like a turtle that has been hurt. They retreat into their shell, which for a while is helpful. It's safe, secure, comfortable. But for a turtle to move, it has to come out and put its feet on the ground and start taking steps. Otherwise it will stay where it is.

It's okay to stay in your shell for a while. But you cannot stay there indefinitely. If you don't ever take that risk, you stay where you are. You may not be ready to take that "step" in a month, 6 months or a year - and to a point, that's fine. But you will have to take that first step at some point.

Keeping you in prayer.

Jesus, we see a screen name and a story filled with pain and confusion. You know this person, and you know the man concerned. You know all the circumstances, the intentions, and the suffering. Thank you for the brief time they had, and the joy that was there. Thank you for your forgiveness for any and all sin - totally and completely forgiven.

As these two people move on, we know that this story is still being written. For HopefulHepatica I pray that you will draw ever closer, bringing your comfort and healing, your peace and restoration. Whatever the future holds, you are in it, and we know that it will all work together for good, even if now we can't see how. For this man, you have used HopefulHepatica to plant the seeds of your message and love, would you bring others into his life to water those seeds so that one day he will come to know you.

For HopefulHepatica, I pray for the people, Church, friends and family that are there, would you guide them to give the right support and encouragement, that they will speak your words, that they will be your hands, your face, your love and support, in a life that has been wounded.

Above all, I ask that in the life of this, your beloved child, your name will be glorified, and your relationship deeper, stronger, and more meaningful than ever before.

I ask this in your name, Amen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HopefulHepatica

Beauty from Ashes
Apr 24, 2018
West Coast
✟12,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thank you, everyone who responded, I truly needed to hear those words. It's been a very difficult time for me. I believe there was never an issue where I had to worry about myself getting caught up with Jehovah's Witness (I am firm in my faith) and even he didn't want to drag me into that mess.

I think a lot of my pain is coming from the fact that it feels that I've lost him to the world and worldly things, and he's lost to himself & his sin. It breaks my heart that I found myself so in love (for the first time) with someone so broken and lost, and I just can't imagine this happening like this...for nothing. I am at a place now where I would like to believe reconciliation is possible, but I also understand the only way for the relationship to work is if he somehow gives his heart over to the Lord.

I also know that it's not my place to worry, or carry his burden or determine that for him. It's something that's between him and God and it's his journey to walk alone. There is no future for me with someone who isn't in a relationship with God, I understand that now. It's just painful, still, having gone through something like this only for to end in such a way. I know there's a reason and right now the separation is necessary. I was hoping to hear from someone who's been through similar, some positive stories of what God's done in their life amidst heartbreak.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

At the end of post, great verses there that you quoted from the Psalms and Jeremiah.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, everyone who responded, I truly needed to hear those words. It's been a very difficult time for me. I believe there was never an issue where I had to worry about myself getting caught up with Jehovah's Witness (I am firm in my faith) and even he didn't want to drag me into that mess.

I think a lot of my pain is coming from the fact that it feels that I've lost him to the world and worldly things, and he's lost to himself & his sin. It breaks my heart that I found myself so in love (for the first time) with someone so broken and lost, and I just can't imagine this happening like this...for nothing. I am at a place now where I would like to believe reconciliation is possible, but I also understand the only way for the relationship to work is if he somehow gives his heart over to the Lord.

I also know that it's not my place to worry, or carry his burden or determine that for him. It's something that's between him and God and it's his journey to walk alone. There is no future for me with someone who isn't in a relationship with God, I understand that now. It's just painful, still, having gone through something like this only for to end in such a way. I know there's a reason and right now the separation is necessary. I was hoping to hear from someone who's been through similar, some positive stories of what God's done in their life amidst heartbreak.

Interesting story of trouble and struggles, Hopeful. You seem to be on solid ground now, and understand how our emotions and reasoning can affect our circumstances. As you say, we MUST put the Lord Jesus first in our life and be devoted to Him ---"...bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ" (2 Cor. 10:5). He can make us an overcomer and defeat the works of Satan. Always seek to know if any close friend truly knows and trusts the Lord Jesus ---not just saying they believe in God. Without our Savior we are left to our own religious reasoning, which is usually faulty. Look up always!

Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was born into Jehovah's Witness. It is a cult. I never thought I would be a Christian. I never thought I would be any sort of religion and be serious about it. However there came a day where I had to experience the Christ. Only then did I know what it meant to know God. Only then did I know what Christianity is all about. Only then were my ways changed and I would realize the woman I was with would be the woman who loved me more than life itself. Only then did I understand that things in life CAN come together for our good. Only then did I realize that less than half the people I knew understood as I understood, including Jehovah's witnesses. I am afraid if he doesn't experience salvation for himself he will be lost to Jehovah's witnesses. But it could be worse. My brother lost his love to meth. I don't know why things work out for some and others not. It's a cruel world. I hate to be this negative but stuff happens! It's just unfortunate and makes me sad for you. Maybe if enough people come together in prayer for his salvation all the blocks and hindrances will be removed and God can work. I've seen it before o.o

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums