Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
where did {on his left} originate from?
Have you ever read Matthew 25:46?
Matthew 25:41-46
(41) Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
(42) For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
(43) I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
(44) Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
(45) Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
(46) And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.​
I did not quote the entire passage before but inserted [on His left] from vs. 41.

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Have you ever read Matthew 25:46?
Matthew 25:41-46

(41) Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

(42) For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

(43) I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

(44) Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

(45) Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

(46) And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
I did not quote the entire passage before but inserted [on His left] from vs. 41.
i have a bad memory and used google for reference and it was matthew 25:41:D i only really read matthew 25:45+ while referencing

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fearing hell may lead someone to humble themselves to the savior, if they hear about their sin and understand their need for the savior.
Don't you mean understand their need for a Get-Out-Of-Hell-Free card?
That would be their primary need if "hell' is "leading" them to Christ.

What I would call spiritual extortion. An offer we can't refuse.
Thus turning our loving heavenly Father into a gangster godfather.

"Receive the free gift of eternal life today. Or if you prefer, you will be incinerated." (feel the love)

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i have a bad memory and used google for reference and it was matthew 25:41:D i only really read matthew 25:45+ while referencing
I apologize for being a little curt in my first response. I made a faulty assumption.

• Friendly
Reactions: David's Harp
Upvote 0

didactics

Church History
May 1, 2022
New Bern
✟45,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

"Receive the free gift of eternal life today. Or if you prefer, you will be incinerated." (feel the love)
That's an interesting way to put it. However, my understanding is that it has to do with God's holiness. Jesus as the sin-bearer demonstrates the holiness of God. He couldn't bring anyone to heaven, fully restored and be just, in just any way he wanted. When Paul in Athens "stood in the midst of the Areopagus" he concluded with this, "because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained. He has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead." (Ac 17:31) If sinners reject God here, he rejects them there (hell) and sends them to it. They choose to live ungodly lives; he confirmed their choice - forever.

I'm not going to lie, I struggle a little with cognitive dissonance, but I can't help but wonder if it's because I'm inclined to be selfish. After all, none of us deserve to have God's favor and there is nothing we can offer him, nothing he needs from us. If God justly sends sinners to hell, who am I to call foul? If he didn't send his Son to die on a cross, we would all end up in hell and that still wouldn't make God unfair.

Upvote 0

Hmm

Hey, I'm just this guy, you know
Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm not going to lie, I struggle a little with cognitive dissonance, but I can't help but wonder if it's because I'm inclined to be selfish.

Why would that cause cognitive dissonance? Do you not think it's caused by your following belief:

If God justly sends sinners to hell, who am I to call foul?

I don't know if you remember when you first accepted the belief that everlasting punishment is just and a time, perhaps when you were a child, when you didn't and would have been instinctively repelled by the idea. I imagine that on some level you are holding both beliefs in your head and that's where your cognitive dissonance lies.

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

1 fJAcy0VPIQYvEZtEDOEIhQ.png

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
The Kingdom of His dear Son
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
That is an interesting observation, that both the sheep and goats are clean animals.

It is a fact. Futhermore, the 10 virgins are pure virgins, 5 lacking oil, but virgins.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not going to lie, I struggle a little with cognitive dissonance, but I can't help but wonder if it's because I'm inclined to be selfish. After all, none of us deserve to have God's favor and there is nothing we can offer him, nothing he needs from us. If God justly sends sinners to hell, who am I to call foul? If he didn't send his Son to die on a cross, we would all end up in hell and that still wouldn't make God unfair.
Thanks for your thoughtful and complete response. I appreciate you.
I quoted the second half of your post. I was struck by your honesty and candor.
I may go back and address the first half as well.

What I find interesting, and which helps solve the cognitive dissonance I used to live with on this subject, is that if we attributed this alleged behavior of God on a man, he would be considered the worst tyrant in all of human history. But since it is leveled at God, we feel compelled to just accept it, or else! (or else what?) Something far removed from love. So... what to do, what to do... ???

Therefore, I reject the idea that God operates at a LOWER standard of morality than he expects of us. The one who taught us to love our enemies should not be incinerating his own. This is easy to understand, unless you were raised in the church. What's wrong with this picture?

And along with this twisted view of God comes a twisted view of our own lack of value. On one hand we understand that the Father gave his only-begotten to ransom us back to Himself, but on the other hand conclude that we are worthless and undeserving of his grace. I'll ask again, what's wrong with this picture?

The Bible tells us that the very hairs of our head are numbered, and that a sparrow does not fall without his notice, and that we are more value than many sparrows to him. And the Good Shepherd leaves the ninety-nine to go after the one who has wandered away. Why not just let the sinful ingrate go? Did they not choose, of their own free will, to sin and wander off? Fortunately that's not how it works, unless you buy what the church is feeding us. So, I'll ask again, what's wrong with this picture?

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's an interesting way to put it. However, my understanding is that it has to do with God's holiness. Jesus as the sin-bearer demonstrates the holiness of God. He couldn't bring anyone to heaven, fully restored and be just, in just any way he wanted. When Paul in Athens "stood in the midst of the Areopagus" he concluded with this, "because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained. He has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead." (Ac 17:31) If sinners reject God here, he rejects them there (hell) and sends them to it. They choose to live ungodly lives; he confirmed their choice - forever.
It has helped me to better understand the dynamic of the atonement (of which there are several views) as Christ paying THE DEATH PENALTY for our sin. (sorry for the CAPITAL letters, I'm not shouting, just trying to clarify) See the Brad Jersak video link below for a better explanation than I can provide.

All this to say that I believe our standing with God is not determined by what we have done, but by what Christ has done on our behalf. (Romans 5:18-19)

Saint Steven said:

Enjoy this interview with Brad Jersak where he discusses many questions like when salvation occurs, why did Jesus have to die, where did death come from, what did the early church believe about the after-life, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It has helped me to better understand the dynamic of the atonement (of which there are several views) as Christ paying THE DEATH PENALTY for our sin. (sorry for the CAPITAL letters, I'm not shouting, just trying to clarify) See the Brad Jersak video link below for a better explanation than I can provide.
All this to say that I believe our standing with God is not determined by what we have done, but by what Christ has done on our behalf. (Romans 5:18-19)
Saint Steven said:

If accepting Christ and being saved while still alive is "a get-out-of-hell-Free card" what would you call a sinner dying and being saved at death and thus escaping hell? Is that not also "a get-out-of-hell-Free card?"

• Haha
Reactions: didactics
Upvote 0

Hmm

Hey, I'm just this guy, you know
Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If accepting Christ and being saved while still alive is "a get-out-of-hell-Free card" what would you call a sinner dying and being saved at death and thus escaping hell? Is that not also "a get-out-of-hell-Free card?"

Have you been at the Monopoly board again DA?

Upvote 0