Looking for good Book on the basics of Christianity

RogueScholar

Oct 29, 2010
✟15,134.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I have a non-christian friend who wants to learn about Christianity. I have already explained the gospel to him but he wants to learn more about the historic background. He was raised in a very liberal, and multicultural/multireligion part of the country and does not even have even the basic knowledge that a 7year old sunday-school church attendee would know. Obviously I am willing to teach him face to face as much as I can, but of course I cant spend all my time doing this, nor do I have a level of theology to answer all of his questions. Was wondering if anybody would know of any good books I could give him which would explain the basics of the bible and the christian faith, but not be as so brief as a typical bible tract would be.

Thanks! :clap:

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Your going to find that most books written about the church's past (Outside of the scriptures) will only serve to promote a certain denominational view. The early church history will have a strong catholic influence, and after the reformation (Martin Luther's separation from the only church available at the time) the "church's history" will vary quite a bit.

This is why most of us focus on what is written in the bible. That and because according to the bible it is what you knew as a "7-year old" or rather the mind set a 7 year old would have that brings us close to God. Not worship of the church or religion itself.

Upvote 0

Mr Dave

God Save The Queen!
Apr 2, 2010
Sheffield
✟25,710.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
This might be a bit extensive if you just want the basics but is a great book nonetheless,
A History of Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years: Amazon.co.uk: Diarmaid MacCulloch: Books

I've not actually read this myself (IVP Introduction to the Bible - Philip Johnston, (Editor) : Inter-Varsity Press) but would imagine that coming from IVP it would be fairly to the point and easy to read, and would be a great starter. If you're in America and don't fancy paying a huge p&p free from Great Britain, the same book can be found here :) Amazon.com: The IVP Introduction to the Bible (9780830828289): Philip S. Johnston: Books

Upvote 0

Mr Dave

God Save The Queen!
Apr 2, 2010
Sheffield
✟25,710.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
This might be a bit extensive if you just want the basics but is a great book nonetheless,
A History of Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years: Amazon.co.uk: Diarmaid MacCulloch: Books

I've not actually read this myself (IVP Introduction to the Bible - Philip Johnston, (Editor) : Inter-Varsity Press) but would imagine that coming from IVP it would be fairly to the point and easy to read, and would be a great starter. If you're in America and don't fancy paying a huge p&p free from Great Britain, the same book can be found here :) Amazon.com: The IVP Introduction to the Bible (9780830828289): Philip S. Johnston: Books

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Unless your friend is an avid reader and loves to read a bunch, I would limit giving him books about the Bible to only one or maybe two. If you wish to help him understand the Christian faith better, I recommend that you buy him a Bible (NKJV, NIV, or NASB are best IMO) and tell him to start with the NT and read thru to Revelation. It is the word of God that can change his heart and renew his mind; not commentaries, doctrinal works, or apologetics.

as for books along these lines:
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis is a very good book for laying many of the basic foundations of what all christians can generally agree upon

The Case for Christ and The Case for Faith are pretty good beginning apologetics for the validity of the Bible.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

AlexBP

Apr 20, 2010
Virginia
✟10,340.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
The Soul of Christianity, by Huston Smith, is the one that my on-campus minister at Vanderbilt recommended. It's decently short (224) pages, well-written, and never talks down to the reader. The author is an expert on world religion and has written a lot of the standard texts used in religious studies departments.

Two others that I can never recommend enough are Orthodoxy, by G. K. Chesterton, and A Guide for the Perplexed, by E. F. Schumacher. The latter is less about Christianity specifically than about religious philosophy generally. Both are only about 100 pages long.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Two very good introductions that touch on Church history and belief by Metropolitan KALLISTOS, which I highly recommend:
The Orthodox Church: Amazon.com: The Orthodox Church: New Edition (9780140146561): Timothy Ware: Books

The Orthodox Way: Amazon.com: The Orthodox Way (9780913836583): Kallistos Ware: Books

If your friend is really serious about the history of Christianity, this should definitely be on the reading list- the five volume set on the Christian Tradition by Jaroslav Pelikan. Pelikan was a world-reknown scholar on the subject (and he converted to Orthodox Christianity, btw).

The Christian Tradition: A History of the Development of Doctrine, Vol. 1: The Emergence of the Catholic Tradition (100-600)
Amazon.com: The Christian Tradition: A History of the Development of Doctrine, Vol. 1: The Emergence of the Catholic Tradition (100-600) (9780226653716): Jaroslav Pelikan: Books

The Christian Tradition: A History of the Development of Doctrine, Vol. 2: The Spirit of Eastern Christendom (600-1700)
http://www.amazon.com/Christian-Tra...hristendom/dp/0226653730/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

The Christian Tradition: A History of the Development of Doctrine, Vol. 3: The Growth of Medieval Theology (600-1300)
Amazon.com: The Christian Tradition: A History of the Development of Doctrine, Vol. 3: The Growth of Medieval Theology (600-1300) (9780226653754): Jaroslav Pelikan: Books

The Christian Tradition: A History of the Development of Doctrine, Vol. 4: Reformation of Church and Dogma (1300-1700)
Amazon.com: The Christian Tradition: A History of the Development of Doctrine, Vol. 4: Reformation of Church and Dogma (1300-1700) (9780226653778): Jaroslav Pelikan: Books

The Christian Tradition: A History of the Development of Doctrine, Vol. 5: Christian Doctrine and Modern Culture (since 1700)
Amazon.com: The Christian Tradition: A History of the Development of Doctrine, Vol. 5: Christian Doctrine and Modern Culture (since 1700) (9780226653808): Jaroslav Pelikan: Books: Reviews, Prices & more

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Your going to find that most books written about the church's past (Outside of the scriptures) will only serve to promote a certain denominational view. The early church history will have a strong catholic influence, and after the reformation (Martin Luther's separation from the only church available at the time) the "church's history" will vary quite a bit.
Actually, it was not the only Church. There was also the Eastern Orthodox Church (Greeks, Slavs and Arabs), the Oriental Orthodox Church (Copts in Egypt, Ethiopians and Armenians) and the Assyrian Church of the East.

The reason why many believe that the Roman Catholic Church was the only Church is because it was the only Church in Western Europe. After the RCC split from the other Churches in the East, she severed ties with her Eastern sisters.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
As others have said read the New Testament first. passages can be read online here: BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 100 versions and 50 languages.

For faith basics:

1. The 10 commandments of the Old testament (Deuteronomy 5)

2. Love God (Deuteronomy 6)

3. Love God & neighbor (Matthew 22:36-40, Mark 12:28-34)

4. the golden rule (Matthew 7:12)

5. charity (alms giving), prayer, fasting (take note of fasting but talk to a minister before any undertaking) Matthew 6:1-18.

6. The Beatitudes (Matthew 5:1-12)

Recommend reading the sermon on the mount from Matthew 5,6, & 7.

basic statment of faith in the apostles creed (see Apostles' Creed

a late first century catechism called the Didache see CHURCH FATHERS: The Didache

call upon Jesus Christ as your savior see Romans 10:8-13

keep reading the New Testament & find good pastoring to approach the old testament.

Upvote 0