Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Well I do, and the abbreviation that's often used is "RCC." The point again is not that there are no other denominations which put the bite on their members all the time and very pointedly so, but that our inquirer here said that getting away from such a thing is what mattered.
You know much much more about this than I do, me having been Catholic all my life and in multiple parishes over the years. So where can I find the published giving records of everyone in my parish? Or would the pastor politely tell me it's none of my business?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You know much much more about this than I do, me having been Catholic all my life and in multiple parishes over the years. So where can I find the published giving records of everyone in my parish? Or would the pastor politely tell me it's none of my business?
You'll have to take that up with your own parish or diocese. Perhaps yours does things differently, but we were making a recommendation of an entire denomination, not a particular parish.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You'll have to take that up with your own parish or diocese. Perhaps yours does things differently, but we were making a recommendation of an entire denomination, not a particular parish.
Again, you know much much much more about everything Catholic than I ever will, me being a Catholic bumkin obviously from the wrong parish and wrong diocese.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was raised in the Seventh-day Adventist Church. I don't agree with all their theology anymore. I was raised heavily in its culture. I am still caught up in it. I still eat vegetarian. I find it difficult to navigate normal culture outside the SDA church. I am trying to find a new church, but is difficult.
First, I live in New England, a liberal area. It is the most unchurched part of the USA. Next, most of the churches are very liberal. They are often sell-outs to popular culture, being permissive in order to please society.
I have been to some churches that were friendly, but I didn't like the music. They were contemporary services with words on a screen. I would rather have hymns and hymnals. I liked being able to hold a book in my hands, leaf through it and see what other hymns are in it. I also like to be able to play the hymns on a musical instrument. With a church that only uses words on a screen, I have no such privilege. And people call that being "innovative" and "cutting edge".
It does irk me that many of the churches seem to be geared to married couples with children, adolescents and young collegiate aged adults. There are so many "couples nights", "couples retreats", young adult groups (18-30), mother's groups, and the like. It is frustrating for me because I am 36 and not married and have no children. It's likely that it won't happen for me. I want to be able to fit in without having to get married and have a baby.
*I want a church that upholds the BIBLE. I don't want a church that has sold out to mainstream culture.
*I don't want a church that thinks it is OK for women to be pastors.
*I don't want a church that thinks women are only good for having babies and staying at home.
*I don't want a church that has a contemporary service.
*I don't want a church that controls people's lives too much.
*I don't want a church that forces people to give money to them.

I think that's it for now. :)
Acts 2.42 is a great yardstick for New Testament local church practices: "And they continued steadfastly in the Apostles' doctrine, and in fellowship, and in breaking of break and prayers".

It's all about doctrine and working together in love for the Gospel.

(Nothing to with policing pierced ears, like you described in another thread!)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Acts 2.42 is a great yardstick for New Testament local church practices: "And they continued steadfastly in the Apostles' doctrine, and in fellowship, and in breaking of bread and prayers".

In other words, preaching the Gospel, observing the sacraments, and engaging in corporate worship of God.

Upvote 0