Chelmsford
✟16,419.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a bit complicated, so I'm looking for some guidance! I really need to find a church I can call home and be a part of (I'm in the UK just outside London).
So, I've been a Christian all my life. I was brought up standard C of E, but found prescriptive worship frankly uninspiring and a bit boring. I dislike reading loud what you should say. So, years ago, when I was a student I joined and loved the Open Brethren where I was baptised again. Then I moved towns, did not like the OB Chur h here, joined the Plymouth Brethren but left when there was a big split & frankly I felt things were not right & I was being used as a pawn and now totally disagree with their doctrines.

I'm a bellringer (a very peculiar British thing!) and sometimes go to church where I ring. But the Vicar became 'unringable' and put so many obstacles
In our way, & I never ever felt at home. So I more or less stopped going to church and drifted away.
Lately I have been experiencing a big revival after a huge test of my faith and now feel I want to be part of a church again. I just love what God is doing in my lifeand how He is speaking to me.
Right now I am dipping in & out of all sorts but belonging nowhere! I sometimes go to traditional Eucharist at the Cathedral, I love going to pop up prayer spaces where God has worked some true miracles and sometimes still go back to where I ring, but last time the preacher started going on about how Paul was confused and got stuff wrong which jarred a lot. Due to my weird shift patterns I can't commit to anything regular but I just see what's available, so much of my worship happens during the week (also my family quite against 'religion').

I have never been charismatic and this used to actually scare me. But recently I have become very moved by the Holy Spirit and feel I am becoming more charismatic, for example I recently experienced tongues and have been both singing in tongues and had an amazing interpretation of someone else speaking in tongues.
I am still terrified of walking into a potential new church & wondering what on earth I am doing being there, then getting 'swooped upon' as a newbie!
I've been praying for guidance but still waiting patiently!
Against all this my family are saying stuff like 'we never see you so don't go all religious and be away from us on days we get to actually see you'
I'm kind of a new, old Christian!
Any advice on what may suit me would be welcome. For me it should be simple, I want to worship God and have fellowship with other Christians who I can discuss the amazing things that are happening to me with and help interpret this amazing revival I'm going through & work out what God's purpose is for me, I know He is telling me to do something and make some big changes! Loud and clear I'm getting the message that I must be part of a church I feel at home in..,. But just so scared to get out there and taste different places!

Anyone got any thoughts or views about how/ where I can start, of course I am praying for guidance but meanwhile doing nothing which doesn't seem right!

Thank you for reading this long post if you've got this far. Look forward to hearing some ideas!

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Google should bring up all the churches in your area, then you can go through them or use 'charasmatic churches in google.
Or try christianianityexplorded website or the alphacourse web site as both site will show you churches in a district that run these courses.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
This is a bit complicated, so I'm looking for some guidance! I really need to find a church I can call home and be a part of (I'm in the UK just outside London).
So, I've been a Christian all my life. I was brought up standard C of E, but found prescriptive worship frankly uninspiring and a bit boring. I dislike reading loud what you should say. So, years ago, when I was a student I joined and loved the Open Brethren where I was baptised again. Then I moved towns, did not like the OB Chur h here, joined the Plymouth Brethren but left when there was a big split & frankly I felt things were not right & I was being used as a pawn and now totally disagree with their doctrines.

I'm a bellringer (a very peculiar British thing!) and sometimes go to church where I ring. But the Vicar became 'unringable' and put so many obstacles
In our way, & I never ever felt at home. So I more or less stopped going to church and drifted away.
Lately I have been experiencing a big revival after a huge test of my faith and now feel I want to be part of a church again. I just love what God is doing in my lifeand how He is speaking to me.
Right now I am dipping in & out of all sorts but belonging nowhere! I sometimes go to traditional Eucharist at the Cathedral, I love going to pop up prayer spaces where God has worked some true miracles and sometimes still go back to where I ring, but last time the preacher started going on about how Paul was confused and got stuff wrong which jarred a lot. Due to my weird shift patterns I can't commit to anything regular but I just see what's available, so much of my worship happens during the week (also my family quite against 'religion').

I have never been charismatic and this used to actually scare me. But recently I have become very moved by the Holy Spirit and feel I am becoming more charismatic, for example I recently experienced tongues and have been both singing in tongues and had an amazing interpretation of someone else speaking in tongues.
I am still terrified of walking into a potential new church & wondering what on earth I am doing being there, then getting 'swooped upon' as a newbie!
Against all this my family are saying stuff like 'we never see you so don't go all religious and be away from us on days we get to actually see you'
Any advice on what may suit me would be welcome. For me it should be simple, I want to worship God and have fellowship with other Christians who I can discuss the amazing things that are happening to me with and help interpret this amazing revival I'm going through & work out what God's purpose is for me, I know He is telling me to do something and make some big changes! Loud and clear I'm getting the message that I must be part of a church I feel at home in..,. But just so scared to get out there and taste different places!

Anyone got any thoughts or views about how/ where I can start, of course I am praying for guidance but meanwhile doing nothing which doesn't seem right!

Thank you for reading this long post if you've got this far. Look forward to hearing some ideas!
There are things you do seem to like about the Anglicans you grew up with, and some Brethren things you like, and a bit of charismatic too boot. You didn't like that at least one Anglican pastor thought Paul got it wrong.

First, there is a lot of diversity within Anglicanism, as you well know. The church in the next town over might be very different than what you have seen so far. That's pretty much a truism of all brands of churches though. So maybe that one you look at next may be just right.

Consider, if you dare, some Catholic options. There are more Catholics on a given weekend at church than there are Anglicans at church. You are not likely to ever hear that Paul got it wrong there. You might find a greater openness to the charismatic. Aside from the local Catholic parish there is an interesting Catholic option of former Anglican priests and bishops using an adapted Book of Common Prayer for worship. Similar in many ways to being Anglican, but actually Catholic. Very likely high church. Likely with smells and bells. Maybe even your kind of bells. I met a former Plymouth Brethren member that is a priest following this model.

Whatever you decide, do keep in mind that God will be drawing you if you listen well. And that the church the next town over might actually be that place. I like the idea of a church within walking distance, and mine barely is, but travelling a bit is not the worst thing in the world.

Upvote 0

NJA

Jan 9, 2004
Near London
Visit site
✟48,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello, I believe Jesus feels comfortable with a church like the one in the nw testament, started at Pentecost and with clear instructions on corporate worship given in 1 Corinthians 14. I wouldn't be comfortable at a church unlike this.

I'm witrh these. We meet 44 miles away in Gillingham, Sundays, Weds evening & with social events Friday Saturday and certain other times.
I hope you visit

Reactions: Seraphin29
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know of a Bible-only Christian assembly in London, Seraphin, if that kind of fellowship is of interest to you. You can write to me personally at my profile for some information on this and such gatherings in the world. They hold only to Scripture rather than the sectarian spirit of innovations, rituals, traditions, hierarchy of men, etc. A Bible-only fellowship is not sectarian since it holds fully to what God gives us in His Word.

Upvote 0

Seraphin29

Aug 31, 2017
Chelmsford
✟16,419.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
An update! Thanks everyone for your comments and prayers! I have found a church I really love, small but growing, community focussed and full of the Holy Spirit! Can't believe I'm saying this, but so look forward to Sundays these days & feel so bereft when it's my weekend in at work & I can't go to church!

Upvote 0

Seraphin29

Aug 31, 2017
Chelmsford
✟16,419.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Google should bring up all the churches in your area, then you can go through them or use 'charasmatic churches in google.
Or try christianianityexplorded website or the alphacourse web site as both site will show you churches in a district that run these courses.
Combination of Google & prayer worked wonders! who'd have thought it!

Reactions: anx66
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
An update! Thanks everyone for your comments and prayers! I have found a church I really love, small but growing, community focussed and full of the Holy Spirit! Can't believe I'm saying this, but so look forward to Sundays these days & feel so bereft when it's my weekend in at work & I can't go to church!
Great news.

Upvote 0

christianforumsuser

Oct 28, 2017
Rochester
✟3,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Take more care into where you get spiritual food from than people tend to scrutinize where they eat on Yelp

If you're just basing it on looks and how it makes you feel...that before the accuracy of teachings and their faith, as if that would appeal to the flesh and make you also seem like a more successful happy person please reconsider. My agenda here isn't to say something mean or disappointing but that God wants you to be happy and healthy and whatever else His entire Word says.
I do suggest finding real answers and faith in the right place. You might have heard how people looked for the Christ in the wrong place first. That was written in the Bible, see.

Upvote 0

christianforumsuser

Oct 28, 2017
Rochester
✟3,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But I'm certainly not telling you what to do. God has His Law and whatever else He did.
He did so much for mankind. Never forget that. You really do need to learn and believe though. I hope you find the right place and that you get your needs filled.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Seraphin29

Aug 31, 2017
Chelmsford
✟16,419.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But I'm certainly not telling you what to do. God has His Law and whatever else He did.
He did so much for mankind. Never forget that. You really do need to learn and believe though. I hope you find the right place and that you get your needs filled.
Thank you! I know how you mean this, and yes, your words are a good sense check! Of course I am continually sense checking through reading the scriptures more and through prayer. Still going to the prayer spaces where I first re- encountered God and He is still doing some amazing things. I am really starting to understand my calling and my renewed faith. I hope this thread inspires others to do so and find a way back to God like I have done.

Upvote 0

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Seraphin29, why don't you start by learning the Early Church Fathers who compiled the Bible we have today and see How they worshipped Jesus Christ and what Church continues that same worship today. You find that Church then you find the Church that was founded on Rock.

Merry Christmas

Upvote 0

Seraphin29

Aug 31, 2017
Chelmsford
✟16,419.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seraphin29, why don't you start by learning the Early Church Fathers who compiled the Bible we have today and see How they worshipped Jesus Christ and what Church continues that same worship today. You find that Church then you find the Church that was founded on Rock.

Merry Christmas
Thank you, & yes I think I have found just that! I absolutely love the church where I now worship and the amazing things we do in our community in the Lord's name! The services are beautiful and moving and my faith and relationship with our God has grown immeasurably in just a few months. Happy New Year to you, I think 2018 will be just awesome!

Last edited:
Reactions: PanDeVida
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

try clavier chapel or something like that. I think chuck smith started it.

Upvote 0

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Re: your Title: "Looking but not sure where to start"!

Not so sure where to start, Hmmm I tell you why don't you start from the beginning.

The beginning does not start any time in the 15th century or there after, you have to search farther back in time to the beginning. If a Church name comes to your mind or to anyone who reads this post of mine without me mentioning that Church, then it is from the Lord and that is the Church you and all should be apart of.

PanDeVida

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums