✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Here are my ideas,
  • Time is a physical property that describes comparative motion.
  • Time is not a prerequisite for motion, but is caused by motion.
Here is why my ideas are logically irrefutable as explained with truths,
  1. A physical property is a measurable property that describes a physical system.
  2. Time can only be measured by comparing something's motion to other motion, most commonly a standard of motion.
    • Examples of standards of motion include, but are not limited to, time keeping devices like stopwatches, the Earth traveling around the Sun, or a person keeping time.
    • All standards of motion are a form of motion or are derived from a form of motion, albeit sometimes very complex forms of motion.
  3. According to one and two, time can be considered a physical property that describes a physical system's motion compared to another physical system's motion.
  4. According to three, time is a physical property that describes comparative motion.
  5. Effect can not precede cause.
  6. According to two, time requires motion to be measured and according to five, effect can not precede cause. This means time depends on motion and because of that motion can not depend on time.
  7. According to two, time empirically exists only as comparative motion and according to six, time depends on motion. This means time is caused by motion.
Note: You may argue that just the measurement of time requires motion, but the way in which time exists within reality (observable, empirical, quantifiable) is by the way in which it is measured.

I would argue time doesn't exist at all.

But, not here.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,042.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Like many concepts, it's a way of representing some feature of what most of us take to be an external reality; in this case, how everything doesn't happen at once.
Everything doesn't happen at once because that's not how we perceive reality. We have memories.
There is no objective evidence of 'an external reality'.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,042.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I would argue time doesn't exist at all.
That's a bit odd ..
Things exist because we say they do .. or in science, we objectively test such things .. which leaves a trail of evidence supporting the assertion that they exist. Time exists in science by way of repeatable observation (eg: the movement of the second hand of a watch).
When we say, (outside of science), that 'time exists', it is because we can recall our memories.

Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
That's a bit odd ..
Things exist because we say they do .. or in science, we objectively test such things .. which leaves a trail of evidence supporting the assertion that they exist. Time exists in science by way of repeatable observation (eg: the movement of the second hand of a watch).
When we say, (outside of science), that 'time exists', it is because we can recall our memories.

Time works beautifully as a descriptor for the action energy can undergo, but it isn't actually real. It is arbitrary down to the SI unit - a second is 9,000,000,000 hyperfine transitions in the Cs-133 atom.

Time is also a psychological attraction for our benefit, as we are so superficial and ignorant that we cannot properly perceive that everything that will happen has already happened, and everything that happens was always supposed to happen.

It keeps us from going insane, in other words, to think of time. The pseudo-dimension could be called and thought of as any parameter, but we have an infactuation with the idea of time because we are mortals.

Time is physically the ratio of action (S) to energy available (L) - and it is measured as a "change" which requires a reference point. What we want to think of as time is actually the curvature and torsion of tangent spacial dimensions interacting with our plane of existence.

That's as far as I would go on these forums.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,042.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
.. as we are so superficial and ignorant
I think you'd be speaking from a personal opinion basis there(?) I do not see people as being 'superficial and ignorant', by default, in any way, shape or form.

Kaon said:
that we cannot properly perceive
Depends on how you're distinguishing 'proper' perceptions from 'improper' perceptions .. You'd be most fortunate to get consensus on that distinction ..

Kaon said:
that everything that will happen has already happened, and everything that happens was always supposed to happen.
Determinism is only a philosophical belief. Everything I've stated is backed up by objective tests and evidence.
Can you cite an objective test which would permit us to accept what you say as being anything other than just yet another personally held belief?

Kaon said:
It keeps us from going insane, in other words, to think of time. The pseudo-dimension could be called and thought of as any parameter, but we have an infactuation with the idea of time because we are mortals.
Ok .. you've gone off into la-la land here .. and I think you mean 'infatuation' (there is no such word as 'infactuation' for me to grasp your meaning here anyway).

Kaon said:
Time is physically the ratio of action (S) to energy available (L) - and it is measured as a "change" which requires a reference point. What we want to think of as time is actually the curvature and torsion of tangent spacial dimensions interacting with our plane of existence.
Uh huh .. so too is word salad as being what you'd like think of as being time. How can we distinguish the difference?

Kaon said:
That's as far as I would go on these forums.
Why would you think your above claims are appropriate here in a physical sciences forum?

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
I think you'd be speaking from a personal opinion basis there(?) I do not see people as being 'superficial and ignorant', by default, in any way, shape or form.

Depends on how you're distinguishing 'proper' perceptions from 'improper' perceptions .. You'd be most fortunate to get consensus on that distinction ..

Determinism is only a philosophical belief. Everything I've stated is backed up by objective tests and evidence.
Can you cite an objective test which would permit us to accept what you say as being anything other than just yet another personally held belief?

Ok .. you've gone off into la-la land here .. and I think you mean 'infatuation' (there is no such word as 'infactuation' for me to grasp your meaning here anyway).

Uh huh .. so too is word salad as being what you'd like think of as being time. How can we distinguish the difference?

Why would you think your above claims are appropriate here in a physical sciences forum?

Ok.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

46AND2

Forty six and two are just ahead of me...
Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, it turns out that "later" you go much further and this has always happened and was always going to happen.

Clever. Wanted to give you a winner AND funny icon.

• Friendly
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0