New Jersey
✟336,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The South Jersey university where I teach was the site yesterday of a protest by a truly obnoxious group of individuals. The protest occurred right next to the building where I teach; alas, I missed it, because I was busy inside helping some of my students debug their programs, but I've seen YouTube footage and read a couple of news accounts. The protesters are not members of the university community, as far as I can tell, but were outsiders who came to campus. They had signs condemning a long list of people to hell, including gay people (of course), but also "Muslims", "The Pope", "Sissies", "Ankle Biters" (= children??), and, somewhat self-referentially, "Liars". At the bottom of the sign was a web site, "ChristianInterviews.com".

My questions are:

1) Has anyone else encountered these people? I've seen news coverage of them at several Philly-area universities, and one news story about UNC-Chapel Hill, so evidently they're not just local.

2) What are they after? They're theologically incoherent, but I wondered if they were provoking people to visit a web site that would install malware. (My browser warned me away from their web site.) Or,

3) Are they one of these groups that try to provoke people into physically attacking them, then sue the attackers?

Beyond these questions, I'm trying to reflect on whether I should address the protest in my classes on Monday. I am mortified by the idea that students will see these protesters as typical Christians. I may say "I don't usually talk about my religion here, but I'm a Christian, and I want you to know those protesters don't represent me, and Christianity isn't a religion of hate." Or maybe my students know that already, and I don't need to say it.

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟961,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
... I may say "I don't usually talk about my religion here, but I'm a Christian, and I want you to know those protesters don't represent me, and Christianity isn't a religion of hate." Or maybe my students know that already, and I don't need to say it.

Barring any university policies that compromise you for making such a statement, I think it's fine and admire you for saying it. On the other hand, these are college students, right? Presumably bright folks? I rather doubt they need you to point out the obvious. If they do, God help us all since they are the leaders of tomorrow.

• Friendly
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Teach what you've been hired to do. If a student brings up the topic in class, tell them that they would need to do some research on whether or not these people represent Christianity as a whole. Otherwise just like a forum is made to handle a specific issue, this topic isn't relevant to your classroom.

The way I see, when I feel an impulse to comment on politics and or religion at the workplace. It's less about a formal discussion and more about throwing out strategically placed word bombs at each other. Nothing really gets resolved.

Basically there are corresponding people on the other end of the spectrum who will feel the need to tell you that being associated with Christianity is wrong. They'll have no problem turning your classroom into a circus.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The South Jersey university where I teach was the site yesterday of a protest by a truly obnoxious group of individuals. The protest occurred right next to the building where I teach; alas, I missed it, because I was busy inside helping some of my students debug their programs, but I've seen YouTube footage and read a couple of news accounts. The protesters are not members of the university community, as far as I can tell, but were outsiders who came to campus. They had signs condemning a long list of people to hell, including gay people (of course), but also "Muslims", "The Pope", "Sissies", "Ankle Biters" (= children??), and, somewhat self-referentially, "Liars". At the bottom of the sign was a web site, "ChristianInterviews.com".

My questions are:

1) Has anyone else encountered these people? I've seen news coverage of them at several Philly-area universities, and one news story about UNC-Chapel Hill, so evidently they're not just local.

2) What are they after? They're theologically incoherent, but I wondered if they were provoking people to visit a web site that would install malware. (My browser warned me away from their web site.) Or,

3) Are they one of these groups that try to provoke people into physically attacking them, then sue the attackers?

Beyond these questions, I'm trying to reflect on whether I should address the protest in my classes on Monday. I am mortified by the idea that students will see these protesters as typical Christians. I may say "I don't usually talk about my religion here, but I'm a Christian, and I want you to know those protesters don't represent me, and Christianity isn't a religion of hate." Or maybe my students know that already, and I don't need to say it.

Don't be apologetic, because frankly I think that would risk dishonesty and also, it isn't your duty as a teacher to do so. Christianity is varigiated and it's not really your place to correct the student's impression of a religion or tell them what is, and is not Christian... ... unless somehow you teach a religious studies class?

Perhaps, if need be, you could introduce a discussion about the importance of tolerance, reason, and moderation, and talk about how your own religious beliefs support that. But be cautious here because a classroom is not the place for proselytism.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I certainly don't intend to proselytize; to the contrary, I try to make sure that students of all faiths (and none) know that they're respected in my classroom. It's more like what we ask of Muslims: When Islamic extremists blow something up, moderate Muslims sometimes need to say "That's not what my faith is about."

Now that I've had time to reflect, it has occurred to me that the appearance of "The Pope" on their list of hell-destined people may take care of the situation. At my university, the largest group of Christians are Catholics. So our sign-wielders have already distanced themselves from Christianity, and perhaps little more needs to be said.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Another Westboro Baptist knockoff?
That's who they reminded me of, yes. I still haven't figured out what they were trying to accomplish. They also reminded me of clickbait on the Internet, except that they were live, so my lead hypothesis is still that there's something about their web site -- malware, or maybe just ad revenue.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I certainly don't intend to proselytize; to the contrary, I try to make sure that students of all faiths (and none) know that they're respected in my classroom. It's more like what we ask of Muslims: When Islamic extremists blow something up, moderate Muslims sometimes need to say "That's not what my faith is about."

That's one of the reasons I don't like that sort of thing, it belittles our intelligence. We need to own up to the fact that religious people are capable of ugly, insensitive, and even violent behavior. Most intelligent people can understand the complexity of these issues without having to have some religion-'splaining going on.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

My questions are:

It sounds like my Conservative Christian aunt's Facebook profile . Also some people on here.

Upvote 0

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The website thing does seem strange. I (carefully) looked at it, and it redirected to a page talking about downloading an antivirus program. I would agree that it is unwise to browse the site.

I was hoping to learn more about the group; maybe the fact that they are trying to make money via malware is a clue? On the other hand, their site may have been compromised.

Maybe you could point us to one of the news stories. I am interested in knowing the details about groups that are spreading hate about Christianity, whether they claim to be Christians or anti-Christians.

I pray that God's peace will be restored to you and to the campus, and that God will in some way be glorified because of the exposure of these bad attitudes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I don't think you should bring it up in the classroom. It is well out of the area that you teach.

But if it is brought up I see no problem with you commenting that this is nothing like the Christianity you know.

I would also suggest that instead of starting with how it makes you feel as a Christian instead start with how it makes you feel as a part of the University, that outsiders may think those protesters are representative of your school or at least somewhat welcomed. They move on to the fact that you are also offended as a Christian because you think (correctly in my opinion) that at least some will think they are representative of Christianity or at least tolerated as part of Christianity.

As to ankle biters. The definition you gave is number 1, but not all that much above the second meaning, small dogs. A distant third is trolls (in the internet sense) or those who would harm you but are ineffective. One clarification was those who would take your head off but only manage to bite your ankles.

I do prefer real dogs to ankle biters and the ones I had could take your head off but were gentle with most people, especially children.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Maybe you could point us to one of the news stories.

I've finally found a story, in Philadelphia magazine, that gives the background about Aden Rusfeldt, the lead protestor: Strange Revelations: The Philly Hate Preacher Who Wants to Save Your Soul . He seems to be a guy who's into shady financial stuff.

On the protest itself, here's the coverage from my school's paper:
Rowan community comes together in face of anti-gay, anti-Muslim rhetoric

A similar event at Northampton Community College, PA:
'Hateful speech' angers Northampton Community College students

UPenn: Controversial Christian preachers return to campus, get drowned out by Kanye West songs

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'll add that the university has handled it very well. On the day of the protest, campus security set up barracades to separate the protestors from the students who gathered, to prevent physical violence. They sent out a campus-wide text saying there was "police activity" in that area of campus, and that everyone should stay away until it was resolved. Afterwards, the university president emailed an announcement to everyone in the university community saying that we are "obligated as a public institution to allow freedom of expression, but we do not endorse or condone hate speech in any form."

When I first started hearing about the protest, I was afraid some local church had taken it upon themselves to protest us, because we value diversity and inclusiveness, the way most northeastern colleges/universities do. (Next week is Pride Week at the school, and I feared the protest might be connected to that.) But now, especially with the coverage from our school newspaper, I'm satisfied that nobody is going to mistake these guys for any kind of real church, and I don't feel the need to take any further action.

Upvote 0

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the background link. It is worthwhile to pray about these kind of people.

The closest I've come to dealing with someone like this was at a contemporary Christian music concert. There was a group there, known for protesting the "evil" secular music usually presented at the stadium. I said hello and praised God. It was clear they weren't sure how to respond. They obviously were opposed to the style of music, whether Christian or not, but were fairly quiet when confronted with actual Christian love.

May God bless you, and I'm very glad to hear that the university effectively distanced themselves from Aden's message.

Upvote 0