Liz Cheney for President? Straw Poll

Would you vote for Liz Cheney(R) for POTUS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I respect L Cheney a lot for standing up for the constitution in the face of so many in her party who are willing to trample it for political gain.

The problem is, on almost every other issue, shes opposed to what I believe.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
But as I noted before, how is that a leadership credential? And is it short-sighted to rate how "good" or "bad" a politician is based on that stance alone

How much one opposes or supports Trump isn't a comprehensive enough metric.
I'm not using it as a comprehensive metric. I am using it as a stage gate. If they oppose Trump they pass the first test and we can go on to evaluate other considerations from there. If they support Trump they are right out.
For instance, Maxine Waters (anti-Trump democrat) and Matt Gaetz (pro-Trump republican) aren't people I would look to for quality leadership at a high level.
Agreed. But Maxine gets past the first hurdle. She then fails on the sanity check. Gaetz fails the first check so I never have to see if he is sane, though I doubt it given what I have heard of him.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
How much one opposes or supports Trump isn't a comprehensive enough metric.
I tend to agree, and I'm not a Liz Cheney supporter at all. She's a neocon, and I don't like neocon politics. I'll still take her over Biden or Trump. I will have to say though that someone who is still an ardent Trump supporter has more than questionable political positions to worry about. There's also all the conspiracy theory stuff and willingness to subvert the Constitution. So being a Trump fan is pretty much a disqualifier as far as I'm concerned.

Republicans who speak out against Trump don't automatically gain my favor, but they do take themselves off the disqualified list.

• Agree
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Agreed. But Maxine gets past the first hurdle. She then fails on the sanity check. Gaetz fails the first check so I never have to see if he is sane, though I doubt it given what I have heard of him.
Even with the criteria you're laying out, I'd have to disagree.

Within the framework you're laying out, if someone supported Trump over Biden in 2020 (but potentially had a lot of qualities in other areas) and another person opposed Trump, but was walking bag of bad ideas, you'd opt for the latter if that was your only two options?

Or perhaps a different way to highlight what I see as the breakdown in pragmatism:

Within your system, Jada Pinkett Smith (who endorsed Biden) makes it further along in your political selection process than former Massachusetts's governor Larry Hogan (who's said he'd support him if he's the nominee)

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Even with the criteria you're laying out, I'd have to disagree.
I'm OK with that. You're a smart guy but not infallible.
Within the framework you're laying out, if someone supported Trump over Biden in 2020 (but potentially had a lot of qualities in other areas) and another person opposed Trump, but was walking bag of bad ideas, you'd opt for the latter if that was your only two options?

Or perhaps a different way to highlight what I see as the breakdown in pragmatism:

Within your system, Jada Pinkett Smith (who endorsed Biden) makes it further along in your political selection process than former Massachusetts's governor Larry Hogan (who's said he'd support him if he's the nominee)
Yes. Sorry but I don't care if they are Machiavelli crossed with Sun Tzu if they support Trump I will not support them. Period. End of story.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm OK with that. You're a smart guy but not infallible.

Yes. Sorry but I don't care if they are Machiavelli crossed with Sun Tzu if they support Trump I will not support them. Period. End of story.
Isn't that throwing out the baby with the bathwater?

And also ignoring the fact that for most politicians (on either side), it's considered one's "duty" to support whoever the party's nominee is in order to stay in the good graces of the RNC/DNC (in order to continue receiving funding and campaign support)

Both the RNC and DNC have has their various versions of "loyalty pledges" over the years

Obviously at a basic level, I'm not a fan of such "implied requirements", but given how influential and powerful those two organizations are, I can understand why a person wouldn't want to throw their political career away and get figuratively kneecapped.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Isn't that throwing out the baby with the bathwater?

And also ignoring the fact that for most politicians (on either side), it's considered one's "duty" to support whoever the party's nominee is in order to stay in the good graces of the RNC/DNC (in order to continue receiving funding and campaign support)

Both the RNC and DNC have has their various versions of "loyalty pledges" over the years

Obviously at a basic level, I'm not a fan of such "implied requirements", but given how influential and powerful those two organizations are, I can understand why a person wouldn't want to throw their political career away and get figuratively kneecapped.
I have watched way to many politicians enable Trump when he tries to dismantle the guard rails of our democracy. If this was a normal case of people supporting their party leader unless he does something unethical / disagreeable you would be correct, this would likely be an over reaction. However when Trump demands, and receives, cart blanche to run roughshod over the government I see little recourse but to hold those who are enabling such behavior accountable.

Let me ask you this ThatRobGuy, do you feel Trumps tenure was destructive to our democracy? Do you feel that Republicans enabled his behavior?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have watched way to many politicians enable Trump when he tries to dismantle the guard rails of our democracy. If this was a normal case of people supporting their party leader unless he does something unethical / disagreeable you would be correct, this would likely be an over reaction. However when Trump demands, and receives, cart blanche to run roughshod over the government I see little recourse but to hold those who are enabling such behavior accountable.
Where do you see the limiting principle on getting established? (meaning, how egregious does that "dismantling of guardrails" have to be before it warrants the "I can't even vote for someone who voted for you"...and how many of degrees of separation need to exist? -- for instance, you said you wouldn't vote for a candidate who was a governor who voted for Trump, would you vote for a Mayor who endorsed a governor who voted for Trump?

And it should be noted as an interesting factoid, Liz Cheney herself (who this thread is about) did a little question dodging herself when asked the question by Jake Tapper "So would you vote for Biden over Trump?" -- while her honest answer is likely "Yes", she still avoided coming right out and saying it.

Earlier in the interview, Cheney, a staunch critic of former President Trump, was asked if she would vote for President Biden over Trump if it came down to it, despite her opposition to Biden’s policies.

“We’re going to see what happens,” Cheney responded. ‘We’re going to see how things unfold. I would imagine that there will be a number of other candidates in the race that I think —” before Tapper interjected to ask Cheney if she would be one of them.

Thus far, Christie is the only one who seems to give a straightforward answer on that:
Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says he will not vote for President Biden or former President Donald Trump in the 2024 election.

In an appearance on “Let’s Talk Off Camera with Kelly Ripa,” Mr. Christie, a 2024 GOP presidential contender, said he could not stomach voting for either man.

“I’m not voting,” he said of the hypothetical 2024 rematch between Mr. Biden and Mr. Trump. “I’ll vote down ticket, but I won’t vote for president.”

Let me ask you this ThatRobGuy, do you feel Trumps tenure was destructive to our democracy? Do you feel that Republicans enabled his behavior?
Yes, I think his tenure was a big problem "destructive" -- as you called it -- for a lot of reasons...including reasons in addition to the ones you're referring to.

Yes, I feel republicans in congress enabled him.

I think where our conclusions may differ, can be illustrated by an example going the other direction.

For instance, during both covid and election, the current administration (and allies in the Senate) put a lot of pressure and coercion on social media companies to throttle and/or outright ban certain ideas. (with a lot of house democrats cheering the move on). While I disagree with both conspiracy theories (no, there was no super secret nefarious Bill Gates/Fauci vaxx agenda, and no, the election wasn't stolen, Biden won...full stop).

I see the person who tells people they're not allowed to hear "dangerous" ideas as being just as dangerous as the person espousing the dangerous idea itself.

I say all of this to say: I wouldn't disqualify any of the democrats in question who supported/enabled/voted for one of the people spearheading that approach for that one reason alone.

For instance Gavin Newsom supported the administration on that approach, I can see several scenarios where I'd vote for him over the GOP candidate (the GOP candidate being Trump is one of those scenarios), and that's with me having a laundry list of other things in addition to that, that I disagree with Newsom on.

Perhaps a better "real world" example was when Bush rammed through the Patriot Act, that was a serious destruction of guardrails. I assume most every gop house rep and senator probably still backed him in his re-election efforts against John Kerry. (some of whom ended up being viewed as "the good respectable ones" later down the road after Trump came along)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Where do you see the limiting principle on getting established? (meaning, how egregious does that "dismantling of guardrails" have to be before it warrants the "I can't even vote for someone who voted for you"...and how many of degrees of separation need to exist? -- for instance, you said you wouldn't vote for a candidate who was a governor who voted for Trump, would you vote for a Mayor who endorsed a governor who voted for Trump?

And it should be noted as an interesting factoid, Liz Cheney herself (who this thread is about) did a little question dodging herself when asked the question by Jake Tapper "So would you vote for Biden over Trump?" -- while her honest answer is likely "Yes", she still avoided coming right out and saying it.

Earlier in the interview, Cheney, a staunch critic of former President Trump, was asked if she would vote for President Biden over Trump if it came down to it, despite her opposition to Biden’s policies.

“We’re going to see what happens,” Cheney responded. ‘We’re going to see how things unfold. I would imagine that there will be a number of other candidates in the race that I think —” before Tapper interjected to ask Cheney if she would be one of them.

Thus far, Christie is the only one who seems to give a straightforward answer on that:
Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says he will not vote for President Biden or former President Donald Trump in the 2024 election.

In an appearance on “Let’s Talk Off Camera with Kelly Ripa,” Mr. Christie, a 2024 GOP presidential contender, said he could not stomach voting for either man.

“I’m not voting,” he said of the hypothetical 2024 rematch between Mr. Biden and Mr. Trump. “I’ll vote down ticket, but I won’t vote for president.”

You are way over thinking this. My criteria is simple. Do they support Trump? Then I don't support them.
Yes, I think his tenure was a big problem "destructive" -- as you called it -- for a lot of reasons...including reasons in addition to the ones you're referring to.

Yes, I feel republicans in congress enabled him.

I think where our conclusions may differ, can be illustrated by an example going the other direction.

For instance, during both covid and election, the current administration (and allies in the Senate) put a lot of pressure and coercion on social media companies to throttle and/or outright ban certain ideas. (with a lot of house democrats cheering the move on). While I disagree with both conspiracy theories (no, there was no super secret nefarious Bill Gates/Fauci vaxx agenda, and no, the election wasn't stolen, Biden won...full stop).

I see the person who tells people they're not allowed to hear "dangerous" ideas as being just as dangerous as the person espousing the dangerous idea itself.

We are not far off. I find the idea of information control problematic. At the same time there are a lot of people who don't seem able to separate fact from fiction.
I say all of this to say: I wouldn't disqualify any of the democrats in question who supported/enabled/voted for one of the people spearheading that approach for that one reason alone.

For instance Gavin Newsom supported the administration on that approach, I can see several scenarios where I'd vote for him over the GOP candidate (the GOP candidate being Trump is one of those scenarios), and that's with me having a laundry list of other things in addition to that, that I disagree with Newsom on.

Perhaps a better "real world" example was when Bush rammed through the Patriot Act, that was a serious destruction of guardrails. I assume most every gop house rep and senator probably still backed him in his re-election efforts against John Kerry. (some of whom ended up being viewed as "the good respectable ones" later down the road after Trump came along)
That is, of course, your choice on your criteria. Just to be clear, once we are past the era where Trump might come into power again I will no longer care if they supported Trump or not. It is only now while it is a possibility.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums