Liz Cheney for President? Straw Poll

Would you vote for Liz Cheney(R) for POTUS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

When asked whether she would join the already crowded field of 2024 candidates, Cheney said she will “definitely” spend the year until the 2024 election helping elect candidates who "believe in the Constitution and who take their responsibilities seriously to Congress."

Cheney has said she wouldn’t run for president if she thought it would help Trump return to the White House, such as launching an independent bid that would ultimately pull votes from President Joe Biden.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I do think she would take votes from Biden.

I see 2024 shaping up as Character v.s. Corruption or Promoting v.s. Dismantling Democracy.

We don't want to dilute the character/democracy vote--because our way of life and form of government is threatened.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I see 2024 shaping up as Character v.s. Corruption or Promoting v.s. Dismantling Democracy.

We don't want to dilute the character/democracy vote--because our way of life and form of government is threatened.
Biden has come with his own set of issues. I am not sure how many would vote for him that voted for him last time for a number of reasons some medical and some having yo do with politics. I will say that it is looking like it will be a rematch ( with an extra person thrown in that can make things very interesting as I mentioned in another thread.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I never agreed with all her politics. But she is one of the few republican politicians who honored her oath of office, not a sycophant beholden to a demagogue and his lies. This alone leaves Liz Cheney high above most elected republicans in DC in regard to competence and electability. Many republican voters are still unable to accept her fortitude and justice due to their cumbersome tribalism.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
dogs4the win, what "other issues" could possibly take precedence over the very future of our democratic form of government which is under attack?
Let me see his mental ability for one. There is disagreeing with someone and then there is someone who clearly is no longer mentally fit to be president. Before you report that remember any one behaving like Biden I would say the same thing about. He has beyond misspoken several times such as speaking about a deceased person at event in a way that was like requesting them or acting like they were in the building , trying to shake hands that are not there, refusing to answer questions at press conferences ( like not questions that would lead to any risk to public security any questions at all. I do not care which party such a person is in how much I do or do not agree with their politics repeated behavior of that nature should make someone unfit for office. Put it this way I would support that really anyone, but particularly after a certain age ought to have to take a test to see if they are mentally fit to hold office. There are also issues that some people would not vote for him for breaking his promise to forgive large amounts of student loans (I personally disagree with that to start with, but that was one of his big selling point. I am not saying by the way that he was NEVER fit to hold office, but instead that his mental ability has declined to the point that he is no longer fit and it has nothing to do with me disagreeing with his politics any one who repeatedly behaves like that is not fit for office

Upvote 0

Green Sun

404: Star not found
Jun 26, 2015
Somewhere
✟45,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Yeah - Third Parties in the US simply cannot win due First Past The Post with respect to the Presidency. At "best", all a major, 3rd party candidate does is spoil the vote for whoever they align closely with. At worst? Congress has to decide the President and Vice President due to no one hitting 270.

For Cheney, personally, I do think she'd pull "moderate" republicans from Trump, rather than vice-versa, but it's mostly pointless for her to actually run, since she'd only be blamed for causing a loss.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let me see his mental ability for one. There is disagreeing with someone and then there is someone who clearly is no longer mentally fit to be president. Before you report that remember any one behaving like Biden I would say the same thing about. He has beyond misspoken several times such as speaking about a deceased person at event in a way that was like requesting them or acting like they were in the building , trying to shake hands that are not there, refusing to answer questions at press conferences ( like not questions that would lead to any risk to public security any questions at all. I do not care which party such a person is in how much I do or do not agree with their politics repeated behavior of that nature should make someone unfit for office. Put it this way I would support that really anyone, but particularly after a certain age ought to have to take a test to see if they are mentally fit to hold office. There are also issues that some people would not vote for him for breaking his promise to forgive large amounts of student loans (I personally disagree with that to start with, but that was one of his big selling point. I am not saying by the way that he was NEVER fit to hold office, but instead that his mental ability has declined to the point that he is no longer fit and it has nothing to do with me disagreeing with his politics any one who repeatedly behaves like that is not fit for office

At the risk of taking this threat off topic, I propose we should have a mental acuity test for those running for President. It might even keep us, if it could get passed before the end of the year, prevent either Trump or Biden from running next year (if, as some believe, they could not pass the test).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's really bizzare how the USA election is run and what people vote for.
Cheney isn't running and therefore hasn't released any policies or promises that she would be campaigning for. And yet, without anything that matters in an election, you have several people here saying they would vote for her. "Her", not her policies or promises.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's really bizzare how the USA election is run and what people vote for.
Cheney isn't running and therefore hasn't released any policies or promises that she would be campaigning for. And yet, without anything that matters in an election, you have several people here saying they would vote for her. "Her", not her policies or promises.

Two things here: First, she was in the US House of Representatives and was fairly clear about her politics, what she is likely to do regardless of what promises she might make while campaigning (which are frequently broken). Second, we currently are looking at an election where one person is alleged by the other side to have violated multiple laws, for which he is now indicted; and the other candidate is characterized by his opponents as being a senile "crook" who has fraudulently taken millions of dollars from foreign governments.

I think what you are seeing is people here who, even if they disagree with Cheney on politics, can respect and "trust" her based on her standing up for her beliefs, even while vilified by her party. I think those who claim they would vote for her find her, because of her perceived honesty and standing up for what is right, to be preferable to one or both of the likely 2024 candidates.

Upvote 0

stevil

Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Two things here: First, she was in the US House of Representatives and was fairly clear about her politics, what she is likely to do regardless of what promises she might make while campaigning (which are frequently broken). Second, we currently are looking at an election where one person is alleged by the other side to have violated multiple laws, for which he is now indicted; and the other candidate is characterized by his opponents as being a senile "crook" who has fraudulently taken millions of dollars from foreign governments.

I think what you are seeing is people here who, even if they disagree with Cheney on politics, can respect and "trust" her based on her standing up for her beliefs, even while vilified by her party. I think those who claim they would vote for her find her, because of her perceived honesty and standing up for what is right, to be preferable to one or both of the likely 2024 candidates.
I don't get it.
Are you saying that a Democrat supporter would buy into the Fox News and Sky News Australia propaganda about Joe being confused about where he is, and so then they would vote for Cheney because she is younger, but not care that she maybe wants to spend trillions on a southern border wall, make abortions illegal, kick trans out of armed services, withdraw from Paris agreement, withdraw from NATO, remove environmental protection regulations, reduce tax for the wealthy, remove gun restrictions.... (BTW, I don't know what her personal policy preferences are)

And that Republican supporters would all of a sudden believe that there was good reason to investigate Trump for his part in Jan 6 and therefore forgive Cheney for participating in the hearing?
I certainly can understand that Republicans probably ought to like Cheney's position on policy. But of course she would never get the MAGA extreme vote and that is about 20-30% of the Republican vote, so she can't win their primary.

• Agree
Reactions: Green Sun
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't get it.
Are you saying that a Democrat supporter would buy into the Fox News and Sky News Australia propaganda about Joe being confused about where he is, and so then they would vote for Cheney because she is younger, but not care that she maybe wants to spend trillions on a southern border wall, make abortions illegal, kick trans out of armed services, withdraw from Paris agreement, withdraw from NATO, remove environmental protection regulations, reduce tax for the wealthy, remove gun restrictions.... (BTW, I don't know what her personal policy preferences are)

And that Republican supporters would all of a sudden believe that there was good reason to investigate Trump for his part in Jan 6 and therefore forgive Cheney for participating in the hearing?
I certainly can understand that Republicans probably ought to like Cheney's position on policy. But of course she would never get the MAGA extreme vote and that is about 20-30% of the Republican vote, so she can't win their primary.

No, I'm saying that Democrats would still be more likely to vote for Biden but, if for some reason it was a choice between Cheney or Trump (perhaps strong evidence is found, just before the election, that Biden did take millions in bribes), they'd vote Cheney. This is an oddity of the poll above, where it gives a Trump or Cheney choice.

There are some Republicans, the ones that don't care for Trump, that would likely vote Cheney over Trump, if she was an option, rather than feeling "forced" to vote Trump because they aren't going to vote Biden.

And, I think many Independents might vote Cheney, even if they don't necessarily agree with her politics, because they dislike both Trump and Biden and are happy to have an option they feel has integrity.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Liz Cheney (while I have nothing against her personally, and think she'd probably be a better fit than either of the two options we're likely to end up getting) is the kind of "lesser of two evils" people who would likely give people on either side "Buyer's remorse" or a certain measure of discontent after reality set in.

And no matter which side/angle you approach it from, she'd be a less effective and/or consequential leader than DeSantis or Newsom.

There's a certain fondness progressives and never-Trump republicans have for her due to her being one of the few in the GOP who stood up to him on his election shenanigans (and she should be commended for that), but she's also the person who has these policy positions:

To my liberal friends here on CF: If you're pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, pro marijuana reform, and for addressing climate change, she's not your ally.

To my conservative friends here on CF:

If you're as against "endless wars" and want a more "America First, let's not get involved in foreign entanglements" candidate, she's not your ally. Much like her dad (and Lindsey Graham), she never met a potential war she didn't like.

Like I've warned conservatives...I'll issue a similar (but inverse) warning to liberals....

With regards to either standing with (or standing against) Trump... neither position, in and of themselves, is a leadership credential.

I know idiots on both the pro-Trump and anti-Trump sides who I wouldn't trust with the task of watering my plants on vacation much less leading a country.

People need to stop looking at "all things political" through a Trump-centric lens.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Liz Cheney (while I have nothing against her personally, and think she'd probably be a better fit than either of the two options we're likely to end up getting) is the kind of "lesser of two evils" people who would likely give people on either side "Buyer's remorse" or a certain measure of discontent after reality set in.

And no matter which side/angle you approach it from, she'd be a less effective and/or consequential leader than DeSantis or Newsom.

There's a certain fondness progressives and never-Trump republicans have for her due to her being one of the few in the GOP who stood up to him on his election shenanigans (and she should be commended for that), but she's also the person who has these policy positions:

To my liberal friends here on CF: If you're pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, pro marijuana reform, and for addressing climate change, she's not your ally.

To my conservative friends here on CF:

If you're as against "endless wars" and want a more "America First, let's not get involved in foreign entanglements" candidate, she's not your ally. Much like her dad (and Lindsey Graham), she never met a potential war she didn't like.

Like I've warned conservatives...I'll issue a similar (but inverse) warning to liberals....

With regards to either standing with (or standing against) Trump... neither position, in and of themselves, is a leadership credential.

I know idiots on both the pro-Trump and anti-Trump sides who I wouldn't trust with the task of watering my plants on vacation much less leading a country.

People need to stop looking at "all things political" through a Trump-centric lens.

I will happily do so as soon as Trump is no longer a strong possibility.

Upvote 0

stevil

Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
To me, even if I loved all of Trump's policies and promises, and if I were a life long Republican voter, I'd be very hard pressed to vote for someone who attempted to steal an election. Who attempted to instigate an insurrection, who acts disgracefully in office and shows no dignity, so much so that they refuse to concede an election, and keep claiming (without evidence) that the opposition cheated through massive fraud, such that half the country get really angry and distrust elections and DOJ and FBI and CIA. And shamelessly pardons his elite, wealthy and connected friends from crimes. Who has been found guilty for sexual assault, and is being charged with 91 criminal counts. There is massive danger this type of person presents and it wouldn't be worth getting the policies I like through.

But then again I am quite centrist politically. In my country I have voted for several different parties. I don't just stick to one.

• Winner
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I will happily do so as soon as Trump is no longer a strong possibility.
But as I noted before, how is that a leadership credential? And is it short-sighted to rate how "good" or "bad" a politician is based on that stance alone

How much one opposes or supports Trump isn't a comprehensive enough metric.

For instance, Maxine Waters (anti-Trump democrat) and Matt Gaetz (pro-Trump republican) aren't people I would look to for quality leadership at a high level.

Upvote 0